Jugs tied together as a Trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by oahegw, Jun 8, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    We are allowed in So. Dakota to operate setlines with a 5 dollar setline license. $5 per line. I'd love to try jug fishing which is illegal here. If I could tie about a dozen or less jugs together to form "a legal setline" maybe I could get a jug fishing experience and still be legal.

What are your thoughts on this please.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. If you tie the jugs together, without anchors, you will most likely get a tangled mess.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

3. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    MICKEY, Yes, you are correct. I would anchor one end and let the wind take out the remaining string. I fish the creeks feeding into the Missouri river here in S. Dakota and have no current. These would be out while I fished near by with rod and reel. The jugs would hopefully give me a bite indication. Will give this a try when it warms up here. Today is only 55 degrees and windy. They had SNOW only 80 miles North of me a couple of days ago.
    THe cat bite has been good here and nobody fishes for cats around here. Only a few old timers that shore fish in the parks.

Thanks for your reply!

4. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I tried a vertical trot line using jugs. I anchored it in 20 foot water and had about 5 hooks on it at various depths. It worked OK but got badly tangled trying to check it and rebait it. I also used anchored jugs to run a trot line where there wasn't any convenient tie off points. I didn't catch anything on it. Perhaps there wasn't enough cover nearby. Just my experiences. Let us know how you do with the jugs...

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I can't picture what you want to do. If you string jugs together what
    would keep boats from trying to run between your jugs and getting
    tangled up? Are all jugs illegal in your state? You can fish a anchored
    jug that is stationary and not free floating. Would this be classified
    as a set line in your state?

6. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I tried the jug set-up that were tied together. It worked Ok till a 5 lb. cat decided that he wanted to head out to deeper water. Then it turned into a mess. There were nothing but a tangle of lines and sharp hooks. Enough said.

The reason I wanted to tie the jugs onto one long line was to classify it as ONE setline covered by one set-line license tag. Individual jugs can be set and tagged as one set-line, but each license tag costs $5.00. Total tags allowed is 5 tags. ($25.00)

We have no boat traffic to speak of when fishing back in the small creeks that feed into the Missouri river. I was out all morning today and never saw another boat.