jugs that can be easily seen in the dark

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by whisker maniac, Jun 19, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Take 2 liter or 3 liter bottles and put your line and hooks on them. Buy some of those glow stiks from the camp isle in wal mart and put them in the bottles.

Now your ready to go jugging.

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the tip!

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the ones Gene from Wild Wolf products are brighter and last a lonnnnngggggg time, plus he is a sponsor!!!!

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I use regular noodles with pvc through the middles. I buy the glow sticks from Gene and stick them between the pvc and noodle materials at the top. You can see them from a LONG ways off.

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't fish jugs but these will sound dumb but I have seen it done on Grand lake. Using a clear 2 liter bottle someone put about 10 lightening bugs in them. I didn't do it I saw it,,,Work thou.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh my gosh, that's hysterical!!!!!:smile2:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't say firsthand, but I've been told that having the lightstick on the outside of the jug is more effective than having it on the inside. Each tube of 100 chemlight sticks from AKWolf also comes with 100 connectors, which can be glued to the jug, providing a quick and easy place to attach the chemlight.

8. daddyrabbit

daddyrabbit New Member

State:
    Lake City S.C.
    Dollar General has different sizes, some as low as 1.00 for 15

9. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    thin piece of reflective tape, and a 4 milion candle spotlight. can be seen up to 30 or 400 yards

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used the reflective tape and spotlight method for 25 years...back when a 500,000 cp spotlight was considered powerful. It works great. But you do have to constantly run your spotlight, shining it all around, keeping track of your jugs. Using the chemlights will let you keep track of them with only an occasional use of your spotlight. Seems worth the little extra bit of trouble and expense to me. Now that I think more on it though, I'm not too sure that there really is any extra expense. By the time I figure in the cost of having 5 or 6 spotlights in the boat, a couple of deep-cycle batteries to run them every 2 or 3 seasons, cost of recharging the batteries, the cost might just work out to be pretty much the same.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one time I had a couple of jugs set out. I painted the insides of them with white paint. and used a spotlight. these jugs had only 2 foot droppers on them and I hit them with the light to check them. I seen one of the biggest flatheads ever turn and dive at one of my jugs. I spooked it as it was watching my bluegill flip around. I dont use a spotlight much anymore. I like the lightsticks....

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Another good advantage at using the chem lights is that a fish doesn't mind the chem lights but you shine a spot light in his eyes and he will go crazy trying to get away from it.

13. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    my buddy uses the noodle , foam ones and he says he can see them very good at night with a light up to 200 yards away.

14. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the big five qt laundy jugs of any color, when i write my required info on the I attach a few strips of the refleflective tape sold and many auto stores. They are about 2" by what ever length you want. usually red and white. I cut each strip into one half wide strips and they stick to jugs well. I only use a low powered light to find them as I don't want to bother folks on the bank.

Alwasy put a half ounce sinker itno the jugs before you make them up as it makes them float litte end down.

By the way I flunked speillng claesses in sookl.

Keep them lines wet

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    My jugs are two liter bottles... I painted them hybrid. Meaning I took strips of tape and wrapped over the bottle and painted. I then peeled the tape off leaving half clear and half painted... works beautifully for day and night fishing when tossing glow sticks in at night. The bright orange paint I use can let you see them from a good distance too.

16. kevinmays

kevinmays New Member

State:
    tn
    here is a quik look at my jugs. 1 inch pvc 20 inches long with 10 inch noodle. you can see my reflective tape from a long distance. i usually set 30 jugs that about all i can handle.

here i s a quik tip notice i stripe all my jugs with white and red reflective tape. 99% of the time i know 300 yrds away if there is a a fish on because you will see the reflective tape rotate and change colors.

where i fish you wouldnt want glow sticks. people are pretty nosey and i dont want people to see my jugs.

but most of the time i set my jugs in sets of 6 - 8 in places I KNOW have monster flatheads. i rarely just drop my jugs in a cove or a channel.

i fish structure on creek channels off the main channel. when you only set a few people usually dont even notice them.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k310/kevinmays/noodle.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k310/kevinmays/noodle2.jpg

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA

18. kevinmays

kevinmays New Member

State:
    tn
    you have to use a light to see the reflective tape. the glow sticks glow in the dark

19. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    You dont want people to see your jugs cause they're nosey so you use glow sticks. You dont want to use a spot light cause theyll see them then. Guess it depends on what side of the fence you stand on cause the lake i fish is very high traffic and anyone can see a glow stick. Most boaters dont run down the lake shining a spot light unless theyre looking for jugs therefore will never see the jugs you have out. I always sit within seeing distance of my jugs to ensure theives dont run off with them. Shining your spread from 200 yards away the light reflects off the water and doesnt penetrate so much so it doesnt bother me too much for spooking fish, but either way people will see your jugs if they are looking for them, rather you use a glow stick that glows constantly, or a spot light you shine from time to time.

20. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Have had good luck painting mine Flouresent orange or yellow and using a Black Light. It dont bother anyone on shore and dont borher the fish. :0a26:...............Jeff :smile2: