Jugs our trotlines?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bhunt, Apr 19, 2007.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I am wonting to catch a few flatheads and was wondering which is best to use Jugs or trotlines? I have very little time to fish due to very busy schedule our I would try with rod and real. Thanks for any help.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like jugs or limblines. Be sure that u can check the jugs, if u do that, they will wander off on u.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To a large extent it would depend upon what state your in. Each states regulations vary to some degree. Some states only allow a total of 30 hooks, some allow a hundred. Some allow trot lining, some don't. Some allow jug fishing, some don't. Some jugs can only have two hooks others can have 5. So, your question can't be answered as easily as you would like. If you don't have time to rod and reel fish, you probably won't have time for serious trotlining either. It takes quite a while to get bait for a hundred hooks, then you still need replacement baits, plus the time to set and run the lines. But, jugs probably won't produce the same number of fish in a given time frame. Might be easier just to buy the fish. LOL

4. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    Had the most luck with limblines rather than trotline or juglines for flatheads. You can pick the spot better and dangle a fresh bream right where you want him! Just my experience though.

5. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have the best luck with trotlines where I fish. I like to fish right on the bottom and sometimes you dont get that with jugs in the big water I fish. Some boys I know fish with jugs where I run trotlines and I do better with the flatheads. They seem to catch more blues. I also run the lines in creek mouths leading into the Alabama River instead of fishing across the main river.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know of anyone here in central Arkansas targeting flatheads with jugs, whether anchored or freefloating. But then, I've not run across anyone else jugging for crappie either. I'm planning on going up to Lake Conway for 2 or 3 days this summer for an experiment. I'm going to make up a bunch of jugs with only 18"-24" of line on them, a single hook, and either a big minnow or live bream, then leave them overnight. I'm just curious as to what the results will be. I tried that on a small shallow lake here in Little Rock using minnows on about 5' of mono and had very good results. About 1/2 crappie, 1/4 cats, and 1/4 largemouth bass. Since then, they've made it a kids lake, so no more jugfishing there.

7. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hate to say anything discouraging about jugging but if you are looking for a quick and easy way to aquire fish, especially if you are picky about what you hope to catch, then jugging might not be the quick fix you are looking for.
    1. Construction - unless you buy the prefab jugs at WalMart (somebody must) this means you must invest time aquiring the materials to make the jugs with and then the actual time spent making up each jug and line. Multiply this by the number of jugs/lines you hope to use.
    2. Setting jugs - I am picky about where my jugs go so it can take me over an hour or more just to put out 8 or 10. This includes the time it takes to manuver your boat into the proper places but also the time to bait each hook. Multiply this by the number of jugs/lines you hope to use.
    3. Retrieving jugs - this can take at least as long as putting them out because hopefully you have a few fish on the jugs to deal with. I like to put my jugs out in the early evening, check them later, and then pull them in the next morning. Multiply this by the number of jugs/lines....
    If this sounds like a lot of work and time, it is. As suggested before the only fast way to aquire fish involves a fish market.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If there is a quick, easy way to consistanly catch flathead, that won't interfere with my schedule, let me know.lol! Limb lines are the most efficient, and productive in my opinion. Still alot of time, and work involved, but if you are targeting specifically flathead, it's limblines hands down.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gary's right. I spend half a day painting up a big batch of jugs for the season, then spend lots of time making up the juglines while watching TV. Added to that is a foam ring I'm adding to some of my jugs this season to provide a place to stick the hooks, rather than having to put them on and take them off every fishing trip. And the way I usually jugfish, there's no time for relaxing; it's busy, busy, busy, chasing jugs...not just jugs with fish on them, but jugs that get hung up, jugs that get stranded in slackwater, etc.

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    AwShucks is right.Check your regulations first for where you live or will be fishing.But to me...limb lines would be the first thing I tried.I would use the jugs if I was gonna be there to watch them because of them floating off.Just my 2 cents:big_smile: .Good luck though with what ever you decide to try.And be safe!!!!

11. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    It takes a lot of time to run jugs and trots. In your case I would go with limblines.

12. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Of the two, I've got a lot more flats on trotlines, but if time is a factor, I think limblines are the way to go.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Trot line are to dangerous in my opinion. I rater use jugs!

14. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I do best on limb lines.