Jugs or trotlines - which is better

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bodi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have asked a couple of friends which is better jugs or trot lines so i was wondering if you had any advice

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, I'd say it all depends. If your in a small boat, like a jon boat, trotlines and jug lines are about the same. Main difference, as far as Oklahoma goes, is you can have a total of 100 hooks on a trotline, or twenty jugs with 5 hooks each. Normally I only fish 2 hooks per jug, so that is forty baits I would need. On a trotline, I use the 100 hooks. So, it's harder to trotline.

In a boat, such as a 15 or 16' fiberglass outboard, its hard as the dickens to lean over the side of that thing and run a trotline. Jugs you just catch them, pull them into the boat, hopefully remove the fish, bait the lines and put them back out. So, again I'd say it was harder to trotline.

On a windy day, and jugs that are not anchored, they will be all over the place, whereas a trotline is stationary. Course, you may tip over trying to run the trotline when the big water is moving... guess I'd have to say the trotline is again harder.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I agree with AWSHUCKS it makes a difference.If you have a girlfriend with a jon boat and some trotlines that means you will probably have fish for supper.On the other hand if you have one with Jugs well Hmmmmm might be dessert is taken care of.Depends just like AWSHUCKS said.:smile2::big_smile::wink::roll_eyes:

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I had a feeling Ol' JIM was going to vote for the Jugs....:eek:oooh:

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well, for me we fish with both from time to time. Acutally our trot lines are a short line (bank line/limb line combo) with a total of 5 or 6 hook and the length about 50 ft. We usually set 20 of these lines in a 7 mile stretch of river. This is our most productive method of producing fish. On the other had, jug fishing is fun and exciting especially when their biting good. We have a 20 jug per man limit in Arkansas so jugging is not as productive as trot lineing. Short answer, if fish needs to be caught for the freezer or a big fish fry, go with the trot line. If your looking for fun and excitement, go with the jugs.

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I think trotlines are a bit more work but can produce a lot of fish. Jugs are easier to fish but require more supervision. I like both but I like trotlines best of the two.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Depends on what I'm fishing for. Suspended blues in a lake are best caught on stationary jugs 5 hooks to a jugs weighted to help tire the fish out. Flatheads are best caught in a lke with trotlines because they bite more on bottom along with channels although channels are caught with both. I like jugs personally because I can set them in a variety of spots and have a pretty good chance of coming home with the fish. Rivers, however, are totally different and jugs do not work well in most.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like jug fishing because with a little breeze they will drift and cover a large area. Jugs that "Flag" makes keeping up with fish on a lot easier.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    jugs on the lake trot lines on the river.

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I mainly fish a Big Lake, and the Trot lines win out .

I haven't had much luck with jugs on this lake, but I really don't care for using them.
    I can set out my Trot lines in several different areas and depths, and always catch a bunch of fish.

Nothing like picking up the end of a Trot line and feeling something jerking hard on the line. It gets the old blood pumping...lol.. It's kinda like Forrest Gump said, ya never know what your gonna get...

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got tired of chasing jugs all over creation, and have never had much luck with them, so I'm going with trotlines as they seem to produce fish most of the time, and I don't have to chase them around.

12. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    If you have kidz, like i do man you cant beat the jugs! My boyz get crazy when a jug starts to move and then wham its gone out of sight!!!!

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I like trot lines the best. I have jug fished a little with not much luck. When I set trot line out I allways catch fish. going to set some trot lines out in a week our too.

14. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Most people don't like jugs because they think of free floating jugs or jugs that travel with the wind. I fish mainly with the stationary kind which sit in one spot because they are weighted with about 1lb of weight. Only lost 4 jugs in 5years of using them and they set for weekend periods, however I run them often longest period about 6 hours.

I've seen fish caught by others over 65lbs that did not move the jug much. They try to go down and get tired after a while and will set there until you come along. Blues that chase shad are best caught this way because they may suspend at different depths. Mine usually have 5 hooks allowing 20 jugs per person on the boat in TX. Sometimes they bite on top if we get a good insect hatch sometimes in the middle chasing bait. Sometimes we catch a lot of channels on the bottom. To me very versitle if used properly.:cool2:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I seem to do much better with freefloating jugs in a current than with anchored jugs or trotlines. Back when I trotlined a lot, I could count on getting a mess of catfish off my lines, but I had 5-7 lines out, with 400-500 hooks. If we don't get a limit of 10 cats for every 20 jugs, it's been a slow day. The biggest cat I've caught on a trotline was about 30#; the biggest on a jug was 65#. Of course, I'm targeting blues and channels. For flatheads, the bait should stay in the same place for long periods of time. In over twenty years of jugfishing, I've never caught a keeper flathead on a jug that was floating down the river in the current, although I've caught several on jugs that got hung up and stopped moving.

16. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have fished both and I like trotlines the best.I target flatheads but have caught some nice blues too.

17. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    With me it depends on which boat I'm using. I have a 18' Nauticstar and it doesn't feel safe to lean over and work a trotline. Any wind to move it and it gets to be a real challenge. But works jugs great.
    With the kayak, jugs are out since its hard to transport them. but it's real easy to work a trotline when you're sitting at the same level as the line. I can also work a lot more hooks with a trotline.