Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Jugs on Dorcheat river in Louisiana

8K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  ar_confederate 
#1 ·
Although it's not where most people are fishing in our area, I'm going to put out some jugs this evening on Dorcheat Bayou. Had some out Saturday night but only caught one 4 lb channel cat. Almost all of the bait was gone though. Don't know if the bait simply got off or if something "encouraged" it. I think that if I put these in and keep them baited up that I'll do better over the long run. Plus, I need to get out more than once every week or two!

#3 ·
Thanks. Didn't get out there last night like I wanted, so I made up a couple of experimental "jugs". Trying to find the perfect design but so far not doing so well. I'm going out tonight for sure. Hope you're feeling better and will be able to get out fishing this weekend!

#4 ·
I made up some new ones before the last trip and liked the way they worked. I tied to the jug or noodle or whatever. then about 2 foot down I tied a loop abou 5 inches and put a hook there. about 2-3 foot below that another loop and hook. at the 8 ft mark on the end I tied a 16 penny nail for weight. the slim weight does not get hung up and I had them hanging aruond the shop used.

#5 ·
What I'm trying right now is also with a noodle. I'm cutting a piece of noodle about 18" long, putting pvc caps on each end and running a rod thru them both. I bend each end of the rod into a very rough circle. I tie the line on one loop and then use the other loop to keep the depth where I wanted it. I'm also putting a larger weight on the bottom to hold it pretty much in place. Since I can't get out and stay out on the water much, I'm treating these as kind of vertical trotlines. So far, haven't had much luck. I don't know if it's the places, the design or the application. Thanks for the tips on yours. I think that I may need to add another hook closer to the top like you suggested.

#6 ·
You ever used slat catfish traps? I looked on the LA Wildlife & Fisheries site, and they seem to be legal most everywhere in LA with the gear license you purchase. I believe it said you can have up to five traps. Been many years since I ran any, but they are good to catch eaters with. Very few big fish.

They frown on there use over here. Some years ago a couple fellows were fined $2500 when caught trapping in Martin Lake. One of the fellows I worked with for years got caught trapping in Angelina River. Cost him around $500.

Funny how two states have such different outlooks at laws. Oh well, just the way it goes. Have fun.

Will

#7 ·
Hi. I've never used either traps or nets. My father who likes to eat catfish is loosing patience with hooks and it talking about a hoop net. I understand his desire to catch some fish but have very mixed feelings about using nets. One of the old timers on Dorcheat was telling me the other day that Dorcheat had huge numbers of catfish until some commercial fishers came in with nets. He said that it's just now beginning to recover. I know that they're legal but I don't think that I'm going to use them.

If you want to fish a really nice stream, come on over. I think that someone who knows fishing better than me would do really good on it.

#8 ·
I jug out at Caney lake in Minden.. I pulled a 20lb flat out of there two summers ago, and pulled this 20lb blue out the other night.. I would be careful with eating fish out of Dorcheat, there is a Mercury warning I believe in that water..

The funny thing is, I was using my cast net looking for shad out in Turner's Pond in Minden.. and on a folded up throw, I pulled in a 5.1lb bass. Both the bass and the 20lb catfish were both thrown back after being photographed.

Attachments

#10 ·
Did you have any luck with the shad in Turner's pond? Call me when you go out. I'd like to watch. My cast net throwing is getting better but I still have something to learn! From what I've heard, there's some cats in Turner's as well. Have you ever caught any there?

#12 ·
jtholder00 said:
I would be careful with eating fish out of Dorcheat, there is a Mercury warning I believe in that water.
I think most all waterways have advisories on mercury poisoning these days. I figure by the time it gets me, I'll be ready to go anyway. I believe the main concern is for children and expectant mothers. I would definitely limit their intake. Martin Lake over here has high levels of selenium, another one of the heavy metals.

And Emmett, on the nets, they look like too much work to me. I saw a guy running them in Toledo Bend a couple years ago, and man he was nasty from head to toe. I remember when I was a kid in central LA, all the commercial fishermen used gill nets. All the lakes we fished, you had to be careful of tangling them in the prop. Right now we are fishing Lake Murvaul in Panola County, TX. Trying to get a few in the freezer. It's fairly close to home, and the bream and kitties are biting fairly good.

Will

#13 ·
Ersel, if you'd like to start fishing it again, come on down. I haven't had much luck catching anything but all the bait is missing each morning. I'm redoing my jugs and may start trying some limblines. I have seen several nice fish caught on limblines this past weekend. Give me a shout if you want to try it.

As for the mercury, I agree that it seems every stream has mercury warnings. There's a good article in either this month's or last month's Bass Master magazine about mercury. The gist of it is that the EPA threshold is 10 times lower than even other countries. It then goes on to talk about how many of the groups demanding the warnings for streams may have some other motives, such as keeping people from eating any kind of animal. I don't think that I'm going to worry about it either. We don't eat fish every week and my wife and I aren't going to be having any kids.

#14 ·
ar_confederate said:
Did you have any luck with the shad in Turner's pond? Call me when you go out. I'd like to watch. My cast net throwing is getting better but I still have something to learn! From what I've heard, there's some cats in Turner's as well. Have you ever caught any there?
As of right now, I think the water temp might still be a little too cold for them to be through spawning, so they are not as active yet. I caught some, but not enough.. so we ended up using some nightcrawlers and chicken liver as well.

I bet there are some nice size cats in there.. I really have never actually fished there other than a few casts with a bass rig..

I usually do my juggin out at Black Bayou in Benton.. I did that all last summer.. and rarely came home with less than 5 or 6 between 2-5lbs.. The biggest we caught were around the 8lbs range.. but lots of numbers.. we caught 20 on several occasions.. Which that number at that size has fish fry written all over it..

I just recently became pretty good at throwing my net. I still have the occasional fold up, but only probably 1 out of 5. It's still hard to do out of the boat because I tend to always hit something and mess up the cast. Usually a cooler or cleat.

When I do get out at Black Bayou, usually around june or so, the shad are schooling by the millions. You just about cant beat shad, unless you can catch you a mess of bluegill.

#16 ·
I didn't say why I caught them. Got to know how to catch them if you need bait! In truth, I used to catch that trash fish before I was converted to the true faith. Please forgive me and don't tell the others!:surrender:

#18 ·
Kevin, if you have the time and desire, you can call me and I'll take out to my lot on Dorcheat and you can camp there to your hearts content. Specially since you will overlook my scarlet sin, this time!!!:)

Tell you what I did last night. Got in from work and had the kind of day where I just had to get on the water. Loaded everything in the truck, including my dog and away we went. Got there, caught some bait, got ready to load the boat and I'd left the motor at home! Dear God am I getting old and forgetful! Oh well, there's always tonight!

#22 ·
Went Saturday night and it was extremely foggy here too. Scared to run too much. Even with what light we had you could barely see where the banks were.

ar_confederate, I think the law in Louisiana is you have to have a recreational slat trap license, which is $80 I think, and you get to run 5 boxes. This is not commercial. The good thing I think is if you're not commercial fishing, one box or maybe two at the most is very sufficient, and most likely you're not going to catch anything but eaters, which I think is fair with this type of fishing. Hoop nets are trouble to run, as are boxes some times but not as aggravating in my opinion. Here in Mississippi we don't have recreational slat box fishing. You have to have a commercial license, and pay a $30 license on each box, plus a $3 box tag, plus a commercial license. I think though, that as the water warms up the slat box fishing will not be as good as in the winter, though you'll still catch fish. I would not recommend a gill net, as it will make trotlining seems like a relaxing vacation.

#24 ·
solomon said:
I think the law in Louisiana is you have to have a recreational slat trap license, which is $80 I think, and you get to run 5 boxes.
Actually, the resident license is only 20 bucks, on top of you regular fishing license fee. The non-resident is $80. Dang, our basic fishing license here in TX is $28. I bought a non-resident (for one year) in Arkansas for $32. I hope to buy an annual LA non-resident license in June when the present ones expire. I may opt the 80 bucks to use the slat traps also. I know the traps are available from The Net Company in Jonesville (used to be Champlin's if recall correctly).

Will

#26 ·
You're right. $80 is for non resident. Memphis Net and Twine sells them for about $45. I bought mine from a guy across the river in Angie, LA for $18 each. Just be sure you check with the wildlife dept where you're going to fish them. I know Mississippi has to have 2" slots, and Louisiana is 1 1/2", and if I'm not mistaken, Louisiana only has to have slots on 3 sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.