Jugs...in or out?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    The other day I was at the lake and watched a guy check and bait his jug lines. He was alone in the boat, and was pulling up the line and letting the jug float behind the boat.

I have always placed the jug and line in the boat, and then after baiting the hooks toss the jug and line overboard. Sometimes I do have a a mess with the line and hooks getting entangled!:confused2:

I was just wonderiing what the rest of you guys do when checking and baiting your lines? Leave your jugs in the water or bring them into the boat?

Bill

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if im jug fishing and that aint very often i leave my jugs in the water when rebaiting.if i have a fish i put it in the boat dont know why it just happends that way.

3. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I put the hole thing in the boat, but i have just 1 1/2 to 2 feet of line on my noodles!

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Johnnie, Dylan, & Bob,

I appreciate your replys.

Dylan, did you catch that monster catfish that you are holding with a jug noodle line?

Semper Fi Bob!

Bill
    USMC 1950-1954

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a 24 ft. pontoon so i have plenty of room. We bait all jugs in the boat and then throw them out.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    DOG=GONE IT!! I saw the title of this thread, and thought you guy's would be talkin' about gals.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, I almost always freefloat my jugs. Starting out, my line is wrapped around the neck of my 2-liter jug, with the hooks free of the winding, but stuck into a ring of foam glued to the cap. (Keeps them from tangling.) If there are several people, I may set up an assembly line, but basically, I take the hooks out of the foam and bait them. My 'sinker' is a 16p or 20p nail, and I drop it down into the jug after I wrap up the line for storage. So, when putting out the jug, all I have to do is remove the cap, let the nail drop out, replace the cap, and unwind the line, dropping it into the water as it unwinds. Last thing is to drop in the jug. When I pull a jug into the boat while fishing, I wrap the line around the main part of the jug and stack them up till I can get back to the main bunch. Again, the hooks are free, so I can bait them before I get ready to put any of them out. When putting out the jugs, I generally run the boat backward, which not only slows it down, but eliminates any possibility of getting a jugline hung in my prop. I make runs back and forth across the river, putting out a jug every 40'-80'. Depending on how many of us there are, I may make several trips back and forth, with each line being 100'-200' apart. What I really have to watch out for is a jug getting hung up or getting into slack water. I have to grab those up and move them to the main batch. I've got about 3-4 ounces of small gravel, small tire weights, etc. inside each jug so that when I get a bite and the jug tips up, the weights slide down into the neck and keep it in a 'tipped' or 'flagged' position.

My foam rings are made from the small swimming pool noodles. I slice off pieces about 3/4" thick, core out the hole enough so that it will slip over a cap, then glue it onto the cap with Shoe Goo.

8. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes i did, he was 42 inches long and i am gessing 40+ lbs! He is my biggest cat ever! I set 50 noodles, hope to go set them in a few weeks!

9. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh and the noodles are mine not my dads! I made them by my self and i bought all the stuff with my money!:big_smile:

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, Thanks for the information. Someday I hope to put some jugs out on a river. That is a neat idea about making the foam ring!

Dylan, you are doing better than a lot of us! That's great! And, the fact that you are buying and using your own jugs is a big credit to you.:big_smile:

Did you catch the large cat on a river or lake? And, what kind of bait were you using?

11. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We always leave ours in the water also, just pull the line in to re-bait. Honestly we rebait very seldom, when we pull em in there's a big ole cat on the other end for the boy's.

12. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live on a small creek in texas, maby 100 foot wide were live at and maby 50 or 60 foot wide were i set them at, so all i need to do is load up MY BOAT and go! I have a 16 foot boat with a 15 horse evinrude and a lowrance x67c fishfinder and my dad has a 15 foot boat with a 25 horse evinrude! I got him on cut mullet. It is abought a 75 minute boat ride to my top secret yella cat spot!

13. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I jug and noodle and put each in boat as I catcha nd rebait..

easier for me as i too us only abour 6-10' in length