Jugs: how many?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by baitchunker, Jul 31, 2007.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have been wanting to get back into some of the more extreme sides of catfishing. i grew up running jugs and trot-lines with my dad and younger brothers, but that has been some years ago now. i dont think i will ever forget how to make a trot-line or rig a jug, it is like muscle memory, but i have never run jugs alone, or with my wife, or with buddies who do a great job depleting the beer but not so hot at the whole fishing thing. anybody have advice on how many jugs i could put out and handle alone? without working myself to death or falling asleep? my rig is pretty simple, it is an 18' all weld center console so i have good room for equipment jugs etc. i am just wondering how many i could keep track of and/or run down? any of you ol' salt dawgs wanna chime in it would be much appreciated.

thanks
    j.d.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It's not a matter of boat, as it is the water your fishing. It can be divided up into many settings. Is there wind? Lake or river? In either, big or small? On the largest scale, I can cover 50 jugs during the daytime, 35 at night is about the limit. I find the small rivers the most fun, but very hard to keep track of your jugs. Easiest to keep track is the large lakes, after finding a big cove that will hold 30 or so jugs. On the Mississippi River, I can keep track of around 15 jugs below a large wingdike. Small lakes, just throw out all your allowed to legally and sit back. Another equation to throw in the mix is the anchored jugs.

In Missouri, we can have as many as 33 hooks total. If your jugs are not anchored, you must remain in sight of all of them. If you anchor them, they have to be heavy enough to hold the fish and current, with most wardens accepting 2 lb anchors.

Ok, thought of one more factor. Bait! I have found that live bait actually stays still longer than nonalive bait, especially in current. How fast the jugs move can determine how many you have out.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Only problem you may have is with a center console it is hard to reach over to pick them up by yourself when you have a fish on and running with floating jugs.
    Shouldnt be a problem if your running permanent jugs as long as there big enough that there not diving under when a fish is on.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks fellas!

i mostly would be fishing the rivers and some smaller slough's and lakes in the delta. the river does have pretty swift current- that live bait trick makes sense- i was thinking 20 - 25 at least for starters anyway.

thanks again
    j.d.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Check your regulations to see how many your state allows then go from there. I run jugs in Oklahoma and the limit is 20 per person. If I were running them alone I think 20 is about all I would want to run anyway.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i run from 10-15 cuz i like to R&R fish as well as jug. It just takes too much time to tend to 20+ jugs for me.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most states are generous in the amount of jugs and hooks you can use. Guess I am just not a serious jugger, as OK does allow 20 and the most I have put out is about 12 - and thats with my friend FuzzFace helping. We made up a jug stick, for lack of a better name, from a 1 1/4" round rod and fastened a coat hook on the end. We use this to snag the jugs. If there is a fish on, who is still green and wants to run some more, its easy to just drop the stick and pick it up a few minutes later. Makes it easy to retrieve the jugs. You could use something similar to this with a center console boat.

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Aw shucks I too use a jug hook and have a center console not a prooblem for me although I would like a good eye boat with side seats. First state regs may dictate how many depending if you have more than one hook. That depends on free floating or stationary. I like stationary and set 5 hooks a jug and 20 jugs by myself or with other and if I have 6 hours or longer by myself. We have a 100 hook limit in Texas. Check out my recent post in the Local Texas talk under white pool noodles I have some pics there explaining what I do.

9. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I think 15-20 jugs (noodles) should be enough to handle unless the current or wind is too strong. I ran 15 this morning in an oxbow connected to the river. There was no wind at all so it was pretty easy.

One thing that might help you out is a pole with a hook on the end. I use a 10 foot PVT pipe with a stout bent wire duct taped to the end. One inch PVC pipe has enough bend that it acts like a drag on a reel. I seal both ends so if the fish wants to run I can drop the whole mess and it will eventually float back up. Always use a net when landing a big one on noodles. It's not uncommon to have a large fish on that is just barely hooked through the skin.

10. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a friend that likes to jug and he claims that 15 are more than enough to keep up with. He seems to enjoy them and catches more than his share.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Most of the times that I run juggs, I'm alone, if the wind is not to bad I run 25, they do stretch out a lot, thats when boat traffic comes into play, a lot of boats goin by can give you problems. Then you have the IDIOT that wants to run right through the whole set. But I still have a blast runnin em.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, I like my jugs to be spread out enough so that a boat can get through without having to slow down much. As far as a boat having to zigzag a big to get through...well, that's just part of boating on the river. Of course, when a barge comes through, it wipes out many the jugs in the channel that I haven't been able to pick up. I've seen my jugs hanging on the logcatchers on the front, picked them up with the jugline torn off, and also with the jug totally busted open. More reasons I try to keep the cost of my jugs to a minimum.