Jugs: How far apart?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Danno93, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish a small river that breaks off the Trinity River near Dayton Tx. The river is probably 100 ft at it's widest point and maybe 25 ft deep at its deepest point. Lots of curves and bends. Water is usually gently flowing unless a big rain has hit. My question, is how close can I put out jugs and be effective without over fishing an area? Some stretches of the river are several hundred yards before the nex bend. This is where I'm thinking of setting up. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that you can over fish a stretch of river, unless you jug it heavily for a few years. There are no gates to block the fish and they generally will move following their spawning instincts and food supply. I don't think you'd want 20 jugs in a small stretch, but then, I don't really know what you'd be comfortable with. I'd say put as many out as you can manage. Take them up when your through. BY the time you get ready to jug again, the fish will have probably spread back into the area. Course, if you were to CPR most of them, they will always be there. LOL

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I jugfish the Arkansas River, and my jugs generally float down 8-10 miles before I pull them all out to go home. Along the way, of course, I'm having to watch for jugs that get hung up or float into a backwater, retrieve them, and get them back with the others. When putting them out, my favorite method is to start at one side of the river and go all the way across, dropping a jug every 30'-50'. If I still have jugs in the boat after one trip across, I go upstream 100'-150' and make another trip across. It's definitely not a laid-back, relaxing way to jugfish, but I find it to be very productive.

4. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info Gentleman. I'm going to give it a try this week!!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't be afraid to try different techniques; what works well for me may not suit you. Everyone's got their own personal tweaks.

6. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Before you toss out ten or twenty jugs you might want to toss out one or two and see which way the wind is going to move them. You'll get a longer run with your noodles if you take wind into account, especially on a narrow river like you described.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're using soda jugs, not foam noodles, put a couple of fistsful of clean gravel, bits of scrap lead, or anything like that inside each jug; say, 3-4 ounces. This will not only make the jug into a 'flagging' jug, but the weight causes the jug to sit just enough deeper in the water so the wind doesn't blow it around nearly so bad.

8. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the tips guys. Good info on the wind.