jugs (for fishing)

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by shaky, Nov 23, 2009.

1. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    What type of jugs dose everyone like to use? I use anything with a handle from a 1/2 gallon to a gallon.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Check out Wild Wolf Products, he is a sponsor of theis site. He has some kits that use swim noodles. They work great.

3. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Will do, thanks for the info.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Justin I will also give you a discount on the jig kits. Were going to try to set them up soon were the members of the BOC will have a special price.:wink:
    Just e-mail me with the info on the ones your looking at. And I will see what kind of price I can work up for you.
    Also Welcome to the BOC. Kick back and enjoy lots of great info on this site.
    Pete

5. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    yep wild wolf has some good things...good people too :wink:

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    If you go to the page for Tenn. and go talk in tenn. you will see how to make some really good and effective jugs.:wink:

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I just use 32oz Gatorade bottles. Drill a small hole in the cap just big enough to put mason's twine thru and tie off to a flat washer inside.

8. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
  9. Bryon

Bryon New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use 2 & 3 litter soda bottles. I tie off my line behind the the flat area below the cap & set up the swivel, hook & weight. Kinda funny watching the bottle pop up & down when a fish grabs on.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I make mine out of pool noodles with 1/2 inch ID pvc pipe through the middle and a cap on each end. I cut the pipe 14 inches long and take blaze orange and green noodles and cut them in 6 inch lengths. I put the orange on the top it is easier to see when flagging. I have not seen any other jugs with the mixed colors. They last well and will hold a 40 pounder easily I am still looking for that bigun to try them on. I do keep one in the boat with a short line to loop on if I hang in to a bigun he will come back up with the 12 incher but two will wear him down quicker.

11. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I cut a pool noodle into 4 equal pieces, 15" each. I run an 18" 1/2" PVC pipe through with a T on the top to keep it from pulling through.
    I drill a hole through the other end of the pipe (all the way through) and tie a three foot piece of tarred line through the two holes.
    I slide a 1/2 oz egg weight on and then tie on a 5/0 Eagle Claw Sea Circle. Make a loop and run it through the eye from the point side of the hood loop it around. This will hold the hook in place so it will catch anything that breathes on your bait.
    Then crimp the weight about a foot above your hook and get ready!

They're really cheap and easy to make. I used to make fancier jugs but I got lazier and these catch great!

12. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Oh, and I like to use the light blue noodles. They show up great in the daylight or with a Qbeam at night.

13. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Our set ups are like Bryons. 2 liter soda bottle and we will either take the hooks off with a quick loop we tie or slide them under the ring. Motts apple juice bottles, the square ones work good too and we started using a few of them last year. We're old fashioned(and kinda cheap) but the pool noodles and commercialy made PVC tube/jugs do look good.

14. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    The pool noodles don't blow around as much as jugs do. I used to hate setting out 20 milk jugs and the slightest breeze blowing them all to the bank.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I made up a bunch of pool noodle flagging jugs last year using monster noodles and 3/4" PVC>

They still are not sufficient to jug the Mississippi River. As soon as they snag on something the current takes them below the surface and good luck finding them again!

Gonna make something bigger and give it another shot.

Who has advice for jugging a big river with strong current?

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    On the Illinois and Mississippi we use 2 liter soda bottles so Im not much help. We dont jug them much anymore between boat traffic and weekend warriors not leaving anything alone.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    quart oil jugs . They don't catch much wind .

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Anything with a handle works great...I just happen to use swim noodles