Juglines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GUNTZ, Jul 19, 2007.

1. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I AM NEW TO JUGGING MY QUESTION IS HOW BIG A WEIGHT AND WEIGHT ON BOTTOM OR HOOK ON BOTTOM WHICH IS BETTER ANY INFO ON THIS THANKS:confused2:pLEASE HELP ME!

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I dont use weight on my jugs i use anywhere from 4 to 15 foot of trot line as a leader and a #7 Gama oct hook with gill heads!! Works great for me!!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The standard answer... it all depends. If your on a lake somewhat protected by the wind and you don't have the kamikaze jet boat riders, it don't take much to anchor a jug...I use 5 ounce bank sinkers. However, if you don't want the two pound fish pulling your jugs all over the place, I generally use weights that are about two pounds...took the wifes water bottles, 8 ounces, filled them with concrete and put a chain link in before the concrete set. Works great and I don't have much invested. I generally secure the anchor, sinker of water bottle, with 14 to 20 pound test monofilament. The anchors are what usually hangs up and I can break them off. If it is the hook which hangs, I usually have to snug the line to a cleat and use the motor to break loose. The drops on my jugs are 60' long, and I tied a loop knot every three feet. This way I can adjust the depth I am fishing the jug and the depth of the bait in the water column. Last time I used them, I had them in 12' of water and was only catching fish on the hook set at 9 to 10'. Being from Texas, you are required to use white jugs. I have found you can easily change the color of your jugs by purchasing some rip rap material from a fabric shop. It is easily to slip them over a jug instantly changing its color. With a white jug, I like them as big as I can get them...the waves reflecting light makes those jugs extremely hard to see. Boy, I see I have got mouthy again, but I think I answered the question...

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just use a half brick on EVEry ancored jug.
    If i have free floaters i use between 4 and 8 oz deps on if it is big live bait or big cut bait

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    On freefloating jugs, I use a 16p or 20p nail. Cheap, and doesn't hang up as much. The one thing to watch out for with anchored jugs is using a weight that's so heavy that the jug won't support it. If a big cat comes along and drags the weight into deeper water, the jug goes out of sight forever. Of course, it's possible to use a weight so heavy that a cat can't move it, but lifting concrete blocks with a jugline isn't my idea of fun.

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    1 lb dumbells from our Academy stores work well. They only cost 44 cents cheapest weight you can buy.