Juglines tips and advice

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Drawout, May 15, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Tips ....Please ill take all tips u guys/girls can give me im just now wanting to learn how to use juglines properly Thx in advance:lol:

2. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Check this site out it my help:

Only 2 weeks Left on our BOC SPECIAL. Your last chance to get the KatBobbers and 8" Green GlowSticks at a Great price and get 3 of our JugMakers for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Heck of a deal and we have quite a few members jumpin in here and getting them. These are Flathead getters.

http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/BOCspecial.html

Just remindin You:

Gene

As for the line I would recommend the Red Cajun 30LBS and I think you will do good.

Daryl

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Drawout what kinda water will you be juggn in?

We typically use trotline (string) on our jugs. We'll use mostly 2 to 4 foot deep line and some 8 to 12 if we're in a deeper hole. I prefer #6 or #5 hooks and 1 to 2 ounce weight.
    Depending on what type jug your using you tie the string in different areas. If the jug has a handle most people use that. I use empty/drained Castrol Motor juggs and tie mine just behind the lid. I then take the hook/line and drop them in the jug until I'm ready to go. Then unscrew the top and let the line/weight/hook fall out. Some people us pvc pipe and swimming noodles. Anything that'll float. I wouldn't use anything smaller than a Motor oil jug though. Bigger cats can make'm disappear if they're any smaller.
    Put your favorate bait and put'er in the water and your jug'n. 20 jugs is a lot to keep up with exspecially when the cats are bitting.
    :big_smile_2:

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish a smaller river in the mountains so I set them about two feet below a dozen Chlorox jugs, bait them with live bluegills or big minnows and follow them downstream with my canoe.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Oh, however you do it, please count your jugs and make sure you take them all out with you when you are done fishing!!!

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    First check what your laws are both for your state and the lake/river your going to put them in. In Texas some lakes do not allow trotlines or juglines, others allow one or the other and not both, and some dont care. Also gear tags are required, and limit on the number of hooks.

After you find out that info this is what we use. We use 2 liter soda bottle, or you can use orange juice bottles with the handle, or milk jugs that has the screw-on lids. Spray paint them(texas requires white)either a lawful color, or a color that can be seen easily. We put 5 swivles on the mainline(again texas law allows only 5 hooks per jugline). And tie one of those half cinder blocks at the bottom. Now tie lines from the swivles about 2-3foot long and tie a hook at the ends. We use 2 slip knots where we tie to the bottle so that there is very little chance of a fish pulling the line off the lip of the 2 liter bottles. Weve never had a line come off. When your done you should have somthing like this

(++)-----S------S-------S------S------S-------[=]

(++) = bottle
    S = swivles
    [=] = cinderblock
    -- = line

The overall length we use is between 25-35 foot from end to end.

Put your bait on, lower and do not drop the cinderblock down. If any of it tangles while its going down you could sink the jug, so you need to lower it down until you feel it hit the bottom.

One piece of advise we learned last year. During the summer time when the thermacline developes do not bait any hooks below the thermacline. If i fish gets hooked, he cant return to oxygenated water and will die. The first year we put out some jugs an 18 pound blue bit our lowest hook and died becuase he couldnt get oxygen. Now once summer comes around we only bait the top 3 hooks(about 5-10-15 foot under the water).

Our biggest fish 75% of the time comes from the top hook which is no more than 5 foot under the surface usually in 20-30 foot of water.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lots of different techniques. Learn them, think about them, try them, and see what works best for you where you jugfish. It's important to learn about all these other techniques, because sometime or other, when you go to some new waters to jugfish, your old 'tried and true' method just ain't gonna work. Then you're going to have to evaluate those new conditions, dig into your memory of other techniques and/or baits, and find something that does work.
    Now, being from Texas, I understand that you're limited to only 5 hooks per jugline; I don't know if the hooks have to be a minimum distance apart or not--check your regs. Because I may put out my anchored juglines in 10' of water, or 60' of water, I designed them to handle any depth up to 75'. My state requires that the hooks be at least 30" apart, so I put small dropper loops every 36" on my jugline. Then I have trotline clips with hooks attached with a 4" length of line; these are clipped into a dropper loop anywhere I want a hook. As I let out the main jugline, I can attach a hook anywhere I want, at 3' intervals; as I pull the line in, I can remove each hook as I come to it. This means that I never have any hooks on the line laying in the boat, so that if a big cat makes a sudden run, I don't have to worry about getting a hook jerked into my hand.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    All good advise. but be sure that your weight won't sink your jug if you are fishing near a drop-off, a large cat may pull it into deep water and your weight sink the the whole line, then it is good bye fish and jug.

Jim