Juglines: How to

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dmcgee, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Dmcgee

Dmcgee New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to make some juglines to put out while I go crappie and bass fishing. I really like the flagging jugs. Does anyone have a site that has a how to. I did a search here and found a ton of stuff, but I can't open any attachments until I post 10 things.

I saw some people make them out of Water funnoodles and pvc but where can you get white funnoodles, in TX the jugs have to white.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can order white noodles off of ebay, but they are fairly expensive. Maybe you could buy some light colored noodles and bleach them. If the bleach would penetrate the colors, they should turn white. You may try to make the flagging jugs the same way except use 3" pvc pipe in lieu of the noodles. You wind up basically with the same thing. You must use a hot glue gun to secure the pvc caps to the pvc pipe, otherwise the 3" pipe will fill with water and they don't float too well. LOL Here is an abreviated pic of one of these jugs.

Attached Files:

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The Concrete supply houses carry various sizes of white foam known as backer rods. Cut to length, drill a hole glue a piece of dowell with an eye screw add rigging and go fish.

4. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I found 6 noodle type jugs at Wally World the other day for about $2.30 each and bought em. Nothing wrong with plastic jugs like bleach bottles or anything else that will float but I like the noodle type cause they pack easy.

The main thing is get something rigged up, baited up and floating somewhere!

Best to Ya

Larry

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In Texas, the jugs do not have to be white, but must have a good size white area. You can use colored pool noodles, then wrap a width of white duct tape arount them at the top. Write your name, address, and date on that, and you have your white on the jug and gear tag.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While I usually use 2-liter soda jugs for jugfishing, when you're just after crappie, you can get by with 1-liter, or even 20-ounce jugs. Put some gravel inside each jug, or, you can use sinkers, small wheelweights, rusted nuts & bolts, or what have you. I like about 2 or 3 ounces inside the 2-liter jugs; you'll have to experiment to see just how much weight to use on smaller jugs. Spraypaint the outside of the jugs any color you want.

7. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I jug fish we use colored pool noodles, tie about 3.5 feet of 100lb test rope around the center of the noodle. Then put a big Kahle hook on the end and tie a sinker about 6 inches above the hook. For staionary jugs (jugs that stay in one spot) tie the rope on the jug leaving about 4 feet of rope on one side and about 8 feet on the other. Rig the 4 ft line the same way as the moving jugs, but on the 8 ft line put a big pyramind sinker to hold it down. The regular jugs will move with the current and if you make stationary jugs you should use your depth finder to locate deep holes and throw the stationary jugs on top of them. The best bait I have found for jug fishin is live bream about 3-4 inches, but I've also caught big ones on small freshwater drums, shad, and other small fish. Before you use any live bait check your state laws and regulations. I usually leave my jugs out over night and go back and check em at first light. Jug fishin is a great way to catch lots of fish to put on the table.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use big blocks of styrofoam ( i know my spelling is not good ) they are white and when cut right will stand up with a fish on

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I used to get so ticked off trying to jug fish and keep some order in the boat. I came up with this project to help me and really like it. I can store the jugs in the boat and when I get home, just take the jug pod out of the boat and store it on the side of the barn. Keeps them neat. The last pic hopefully gives some idea of the construction.

Attached Files:

10. brisue

brisue New Member

State:
    MO
    We use the plastic bowling pins that u find in the toy department. They work awesome

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's a pretty slick system for storing noodles. Don't think it would work for 2-liter jugs, though. Especially when there are 3 of us with 20 jugs apiece. What has worked best for me is to simply store a set of 20 jugs in a large plastic yard bag; when empty, the bag stuffs just about anywhere out of the way.

12. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Jerry

In Texas a "Jugline" has to be marked with a white, free floating device. Below is the section of the handbook. However, I have taken colored noodles and painted them white. I have talked to wardens and if it device is not white you can be fined. Just having an area of white will not always get you past the fine. It all depends on the warden.

For use in FRESH WATER only. A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.
    May be used to take NONGAME fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.
    Placement and Location Restrictions: Juglines may not be used in
    Community Fishing Lakes
    Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park
    Lake Bastrop in Bastrop County
    Bellwood Lake in Smith County
    Lake Bryan in Brazos County
    Boerne City Lake in Kendall County
    Lakes Coffee Mill and Davy Crockett in Fannin County
    Dixieland Reservoir in Cameron County
    Gibbons Creek Reservoir in Grimes County
    North Concho River from O.C. Fisher dam to the Bell Street dam
    Lake Pflugerville in Travis County
    South Concho River from Lone Wolf dam to Bell Street dam
    Tankersley Reservoir in Titus County
    Tagging and Marking Requirements:

Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 30 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
    For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a white, free-floating device.
    For commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with an orange, free-floating device.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup, I was aware of that. But I noticed in your post the term 'freefloating'. You might want to check on the regs for anchored juglines. Here in Arkansas, an anchored jugline is considered to be a trotline, and thus comes under the regs for trotlines; the regs for freefloating 'devices' are totally different.