Juglines how to you use them properly?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Drawout, May 15, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Tips ....Please ill take all tips u guys/girls can give me im just now wanting to learn how to use juglines properly Thx in advance:lol:

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The best way I know is get you some swin noodles, cut em about 10 inches long, take your line run it through the hole in the noodle, tie it good. I make my drop line about 8 feet long, tie a 1 ounce weight at the bottom, come up the line about 2 feet tie a loop about 6 inches long and put my hook on it, then I come up another 2or 3 feet and do the same thing again. I like to fish em in about 10 feet of water, with some current. If you make em like that, you have about 75 cents in each one, a lot cheaper that most you get in the store. Hope I have been some help.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Here's a little tip:

If you're going to be jugging in a river with current, pay attention to what's downstream, and if there's someone anchored there, get your doggone jugs out of the way of the other guy. Same goes if you're going to put your jugs out where they can be blown by the wind - consider where they'll go and who they'll bother *before* you drop them in the water.

Was anchored on the upper Lake of the Ozarks last week in a pretty good current from Truman dam when I looked over and saw a jug floating by. That's odd, I thought. Then here comes another. Then another. And suddenly we were surrounded by the damned things.

Just like clockwork, it took about a minute for one of those jugs to get tangled in my fishing line. And the moron jug fisherman had the world's crappiest outboard that wouldn't stay running long enough for him to get up on the jug and untangle the mess, plus his 25 year old trolling motor couldn't pull against the current. Dang near pulled me out of the boat after grabbing his jug line (attached to my fishing line) and then turning off the trolling motor. His wife was in the boat, sitting there like nothing was happening instead of trying to be helpful.

Heated words were exchanged and eventually he got the line free. Last I saw him, he was trying to get his motor started so he could go catch up to his other jugs.

If that happens again, though, I'll pull in my line and cut the jug loose. Don't care if the other guy likes it or not.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Basically Do The Same Thing As David Had Suggested To You, With A Couple Of Exceptions.

I Use The Noodles Just The Same But I Glue A Piece Of PVC Pipe Into The Center That Protrudes about 10 To 12", Over The Length Of The Noodle. Keep in Mind That The Longer The Noodle The More Boyauncy You'll Have, Thus less Likely A Larger Fish Will Pull It Under, In The Event You Happen To Be in Deeper Water.

Next What I Do Is Drill A Small Hole, About 1/4" Near The Bottom Of The PVC Pipe, Where I Tie The Main Line To. Bear With Me, I Don't Have A Digital Camera, Nor Do I Know How To Attach Pictures Yet.

Trying To Make The Jugs User Friendly(Not Knowing The Water Depth You May Fish), I Use About 35' of Heavy Twine, Similar To Trotline Material. Then Tie A Weight On The Bottom, I like About 1LB , In Case Of Current Or Wind.

Then As David Said, Tie Loops Off Your Main Line, About 3' Up, Then About Another 2' Up From That.Now If your Fishing Shallow Water, Just Wrap The Line Around The PVC, Until You Get The Jug About Where THe Overall Length Would Be About The Depth Of The Water You're In.Then Poke The Line Thru The Hole In THe Bottom And tie it Off To The Main Line.

You Can The Adjust The Length For About Any Depth You Might Fish In. I Use 1/2 Bricks For Weights, The Kind With The Holes In Them, Makes It Easy To Tie To. The Last Thing I Do Is Put Reflective Tape Around Them, So You Can Spot Them With Your Light.

Your going To Have A little Bit More $ In Them Than What David's Doing But Not A Bunch More, Try It It Works For Me:roll_eyes: Elliot

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Johnny, here's the jug advice I told you about. Find a block of floating pier foam in the lake. Using a handsaw, cut it down into slabs about 4" wide, then cut into 6" wide strips. Take strip, cut off blocks 1" to 2" thick. Get some metal coat hangers and stretch them out. You need to cut metal 7" long for 6" blocks. You'll also need to cut an equal amount of 6" wire (for however many you want to make).Take 6" wire, bend into staple shape (2"x2"x2"). Take one end of 7" wire and wrap the end around the center of the staple.Then take the straight end of 7" wire and insert into center of the smallest side of block, all the way through to bottom. The two staple ends should push into top of block also. Thread wire at bottom of block through one eye of a big barrel swivel (approx 1/2 to 3/4") and bend to secure. On other end of swivel, attach line, whatever length for depth you are fishing. Recommend Mason twine. Attach whatever size hook you want to end of line. For shallow depths, use single hook, no weight. This jug method allows jug to lay down flat on water so wind does not affect it as badly. Also, when the fish hits it it stands upright, so you know you got him! If you add more hooks and line you add weight, which could cause this flagging response also, so use weight sparingly. You can also add reflective tape or calamite sticks for visibility at night, but if you can see them easily, so can everyone else. Tested, tried and true. These jugs will hold fish up to 40lbs. with no problem. And even large fish cannot keep this jug under for more than five minutes. Be sure to take at least a one million candlepower spotlight, you'll need it to spot them in the dark. Happy jugging!

6. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Just make sure that it's legal in your state. Apparently, it isn't in PA and one of my cousins friends got a $400 fine!!!:crazy:

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx everyone u all have been helpful and im in texas pretty sure its legal here .

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, you can jug in Texas...but they have to be white in color. Best thing is to get a copy of your state regulations and study them like your gonna take a test over them...it may save you some money.

9. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep whatever you want to make them out of just make sure if they r not whit wrap them in white duct tape

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lots of things work for different people, but what seems to work best for me is 2-liter soda jugs painted on the outside. I don't paint them on the inside because I put a couple of ounces of weights or gravel inside each jug so that when a cat hits the bait and tips the jug up on end, the weights slide down into the neck of the jug and keep it in a tipped position; the weights also keep the jug from being blown around so much by the wind. Again, different folks have success fishing at different depths, but I prefer to try to cover most of the water column; sometimes I do best on the top hooks, sometimes on the bottom hooks.

11. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the same method as Jerry .. 2 liter bottles are nice put a little sand in them when cat takes a bite the sand shifts and boom the bottle stands up like a bobber......

I also try not to fish any deeper than 10 to 12 feet usually around 2 to 6 feet is normal for me.....

I would try to help you out more , but i just started jugging this year myself. I have managed to get 9 nice channels but not the monster im after yet ..........

12. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the advice

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My only objection to sand is that sometimes a couple of teaspoons of water will leak into a jug, and that would get the sand wet. Wet sand won't slide very well. Gravel, or some scrap pieces of lead will slide just fine, wet or dry.

14. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Wow never thought of that ...great idea thx guys