Jugline hookup problems

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by toddrod, May 24, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I need some advice on how to increase my hook up percentage without staying out all night. Over the last 2 weeks I have been putting out my jugs (flagging style and the regular 18 inch noodle style) at sunset and then returning to check them in the morning. I have been using live and cut bluegill for bait. Routinely all my baits have been hit and a majority of them are missing, including the live bluegill, with only one or two fish caught. There are quite a few that the lines are all twisted, even though I use swivels on the drops. I use 4/0 Eagle Claw Laser Sharp bait holder and circle hooks on the jugs. Average depth where I fish is 3-6 ft. These are anchored with 12oz of weight.

What else can I do??

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Try using bigger hooks. The circles should work well on jugs if you like that style of hook and they are baited properly but go bigger. I use 7/0 and 8/0 kahles on jugs and they work well.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try not anchoring them and staying with them while they're out there. Also have your bait off the bottom so when the fish takes the bait it will most likely go down to the bottom and have room enough to set the hook in their mouth. I have fished jugs at all depths and caught the most on jugs that were in the upper half of the water column. Just my experience with them. Now with baits on the bottom I have missed hits just like you, but when they did get hooked, most of the time they swallowed the hook because by the time the hook gets set, they have already swallowed the bait.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess it is just my negative side coming out, but I wonder if the noodle jugs have enough displacement to "set" a circle hook. I am sure they will produce some hook-ups, but the whole premise of a circle hook is they must put a "load" on the hook before it penetrates the mouth. I think, just for curiosity sake, I will just run kahle hooks on my jugs to see what the hook-up rate is. Otherwise it will get expensive as I have all ready got rid of all my circle hooks. LOL

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    TODROD- I use VMC 4/0 circle hooks on my jugs with perch or cut shad and do fine. I would suggest you use 1 hook set approx 2' off bottom. This allows enough room for the hookset. I am using the same type of pool noodle jugs. Your weight is light enough. Are the jugs drifting or stationary? I would allow the jugs to drift to give better exposure to the cats. I would set the jugs and not worry about them until dawn unless you have "friends" that like to "help" you with your fishing.

catman george

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know 2-liter soda jugs are a little larger and thus provide a little more resistance than noodle jugs, but I've used kahle hooks on my jugs with very good results--a little better than "J" hooks. I quit using the kahles because they are a LOT harder to attach to my juglines, due to their much smaller eye size, and because they rusted out in a single season; I've never had that happen with "J" hooks. The kahles I used were silver--either zinc or nickel coated, the same as the "J" hooks I use, so I have no explanation as to why they rusted out so much faster.

7. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    me and a friend run jugs together he used kahles and i used circles both hookes were 8/0 my hook up ratio was three to one over the kahles maybe it was a good day for me and a bad day for him

8. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i forgot to add we were both useing noodles and it was only one time we are planning another trip when the river goes back down

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Brian, when the river gets down to where it's not over the dikes, I'm planning to make a trip up to the little park/ramp at Bigelow and do some serious jugging. Maybe we could meet up there; maybe even get one or two other boats. Kind of a little mini-gathering.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Remember when a fish gets on a jug, there is always the chance of alot of slack. The longer you leave the fish on the better chance he has of getting off. Thats just how jugging is.

We replaced a few of our hook with circle hooks and they seem to work well enough. I havnt really noticed a huge boost in numbers caught but a slighly better hookup ratio seems about right.

Also remember just because your losing bait dont mean its catfish. Turtles in some area or notoriously bad about stealing bait and rarley get hooked. Gar are really bad in some lakes starting about this time of the year through summer. Also the bait can just fall off. Remember each wave that hits the jug will make it move. Now for perch this probably isnt a problem but things like liver, worm, and cut shad are not as tough and could just naturally fall off.

11. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    My lasted results with my jugs left overnight include 2 4ft long neelde nose gar, a 2lb bullhead and a 10 lb choupic ( grinnel for you northern guys). All were caught on circle hooks in 6ft of water, but the thing is, they were all dead.

I have a couple of ideas on how to rig the jugs different to see if they will work better. Let me know what you think. Remember, I fish in water that averages 3-6 ft deep.

1. 18 inch noodle with PVC thru the middle. 6-8ft of ancor line with 12 oz weight and a seperate 3ft drop with the bait. Anchor line and drop tied to the same end of the noodle.

2. Same noodle jug as above except that the anchor line and drop line are tied on seperate ends of the noodle. That way when the fish pulls on the bait, it will actually be pulling the noodle down horizontally, this should increase the hook pressure shouldn't it.

Oh, here is a tip for those of you that use anchored noodle jugs. I started using duck decoy weights, the 6oz straps. I bought one and made a mould from Bondo and pour my own. Once you have the line wrapped around the noodle you just bend the weight around the noodle for easy storage.

I find that using 2 of these and keeping them bent, like they are when they come off they noodle, when the fish tries to run off with the noodle the weights will snag on the bottom and hold the fish, but is easy for you to pull up as they bend pretty easy.