Jugline fishing Lake Texana

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by allworknofish, Apr 11, 2007.

1. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    went and set juglines in lake texana yesterday evening. when we ran them this morning there was another boat out that looked like it could be checking our lines for us. when we got to the first...they booked out of there. found out why....some of our lines had been ran and 4 had been cut. people just dont have any respect for others hard work. they didnt run them all cause we had three blues...just small 2 pounders, but they are frying up as i talk. rebaited with live carp and will check again this evening before baiting up on last time for the morning run. will keep yall posted

2. Coldave

Coldave New Member

State:
    Texas
    Isn't that theft and won't the Possum Police make an arrest for fish theft?

3. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've had other people check my trotlines in broad daylight while camping only 50 yards away. Had to hollar at them to leave it alone.
    Bold

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    well the results are in.....after setting so many jugs with live carp, when we went and pulled them up we only had 3 more blues. one about 15 lbs and the others between 8 and 10.....dissapointing trip with no flatheads. had a couple jugs pulled off in the brush but with no fish on them...assume gar got ahold of those

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What size carp were you using for bait?

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    using about 3 to 5 inch. most were inbetween

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife had it in one of their pamphlets that carp of about two pounds were for Flats in the 50lb and above range. If it wasn't a carp, I'd be glad to catch a two pound fish. LOL

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    anyone bank fish from the state park at texana? Its a beautiful park and good camping, but havent ever caught much from the bank or piers except fingerling channel cats. I love camping there and probably will again this summer, but dont have a boat and would sure be glad for some tips.
    Oh and by the way, one time i was there campin and found about a 30 lb blue in the trash can at the pier fish cleanin table that had been hurredly fileted. It was fresh and whoever filed it mustve been in a big hurry cause they left about 4 lbs of meat on it. Lol I scarfed it up and had a fine breakfast that mornin.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How do you catch carp that size? Years ago, I had a spot where I could catch 8"-12" carp, but don't remember catching any smaller than that.

10. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Dont know nemore but they used to rent canoes at the park in texana, if u get bored fishing the bank and peir ask around im sure someone could let u know if they still do or not.

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If your looking for a decent spot on texana to bank fish. Fish off the old railroad bridge next to Hwy 59, on the north side of the lake the boat ramp is at. There's a deep channel running through there that is good for cats and crappie. Another decent spot is across from the state park at breckenridge park. Fish around the boat stalls near the boat ramp. I don't fish that lake much as it's always muddy and I prefer coleto creek. Good luck and let us know how you do.

12. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    ive been doing some fishing from the pier at the state park. caught a bunch of small blues and channels but the larger blues are moving in shallow (i assume for the prespawn). using live perch or live minnows has givin me the best luck. shad are hard to come by and they are my favorite

13. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i caught all these carp (about five dozen) in a small drainage hole off the side of a rice canal...they are always full of small carp and buffalo. ive had just as good of luck on the buffalo as i have the carp.

14. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    I've had better luck with live perch for yellow's and blue's. Caught sixteen at end of March on two day trip. Size from eight pound's smallest to thirty seven pound's largest.:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: