JUGGING?...

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Wvawitrado, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    this is not a post to start any sort of drama or any unnecessary comments I WILL HAVE THE MODERATOR DELETE THIS POST!!! I am from california and I have a bunch of buddies that jug (OK where its legal)....
    Do you guys jug fish for fun or the freezer? And this is a 2 part question if for fun how is it fun? Do you only leave them over night if your going to eat them? but not if your going for fun? (since it stresses the heck out of the fish) And I am not familiar with it but do you chase them all night or day or how does it work? I am just interested in jugging sometime and maybe would be curious to have a brother take me one time I think I might like it...

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    this a good question and will try to answer even though i dont jug any more just set lines and trotlines .

when i jugged i had fun in my younger years and we caught fish for the freezerbut now i set lines for fun.
    nothing like seeing a limb bouncing around and bending it into the water.
    now people will say how can that be fun well let me tell you a fiftylbr is not the easiest thing in the world to get to a boat and it is a challenge to just net them .
    also i believe if everything is done right the fish is not stressed anymore than on rod and reel

we use limbs with good bending strength and if they dont give we use a shock absorber and we check our lines every 2-4 hrs and we practice selective harvest

http://www.megacatcrew.com/
    check out our site and see for your self and make sure to buy the video if you want to see some good footage of big cats being caught and released without harm to them

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    That sounds responsible LOL Is this the way its supposed to be done? I hear about guys posting how they leave them all night that cant be the best for the fish if there trying to release right? and I can see your excitement when trying to boat the fish for sure a thrill...

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    depends on what the state laws require you to do we can have them out for 48hrs and have to be checked every 24
    but leaving them out all night just means you might have a hook straitened or missing a line the real big ones you cant give them a chance

but if i run a trotline and leave it out it is only for 8hrs untill morning and i usually only target small fish on my trotlines but on limb lines i target the big ones and cannot afford to have one get off so we check them as often as posible

a small percentage doing wrong gives the group a wrong name and we as a hole should not be blamed for the few.
    as far as them dieing on a line i have only seen this once on a line and it was ate by a turtle and that is why it died and it is not the norm

5. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah we all have those blemishes some of the r&r guys are knuckleheads!!! Thats cool I had this tossed image of a fish like being jerked but now explained it seems like LESS STRESSFUL because on a jug the opposed force isnt YANKING AND PULLING you in your just...CRUISING WITH EXTRA WEIGHT lol

6. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    It's fun and some are for the freezer. Honestly if North Carolina came out with a law tomorrow saying you couldnt keep any catfish out of the lakes it wouldnt stop me from fishing. You might not think that chasing a fish on a jug is fun, but dude I love it. Even if its not big enough to drag it around seeing that jug bounce up and down will get you excited. When we keep fish, we try to use our brains. We keep most fish from the 3 to 8 lb range. Throw the bigger ones back to try to leave so the R&R boys dont have a hissy fit, plus its fun catching big fish on jugs too. Fish you catch and fry yourself always taste better than any store bought junk. If you get the chance to go, then do so, every man should love seeing some jugs bounce up and down. How bout it?

7. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I don't jug anymore, its not practical where I fish these days. When I did jug, it was for freezer meat. I limb line and r&r mostly here but I do set the occasional trotline.
    I'm from a commercial fishing background where we used all of the above plus hoop nets.(we never kept anything over 5# and were after channels primarily) The only dead fish I have ever seen was on a trotline set below the thermocline. I set the line when I was about 12 and didnt know any better. My dad taught me about the thermocline and it never happened again.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    In my state Alabama there is no limit to the number of jugs you can fish. My
    wife and I fish forty. We can keep up with that many but sometimes it is
    a lot of work. We fish our jugs free floating from 3 to 12 ft. deep. We mostly
    bait with live bream, shinners, or chubs. Depth, time of year, boat traffic,
    and wind dictate where you put out your jugs. When putting them out you
    put the jugs at least 20 ft. apart or you live bait will tangle each other up.
    We normally start after 10 p.m. when most of your evening fisherman have
    left. As we bait a jug we drop it and move up and drop another one until we
    have them all out. Then you take your Q-beam and check them out. All my
    jugs have reflective tape on them and can be seen for a mile or more. If
    the bite is slow we R&R fish to pass the time. If the wind gets up you don't have any time you are constantly herding them up or trying to keep them off the bank. About 3 A.M. we pick them all up and rebait to get ready for
    the early morning bite. Sometimes this is the best fishing of the night. when
    it gets light enough to see without a spotlight we start taking them up.
    People ask me why you jug fish what fun is it. Until you experiance it you can't imagine the thrill of have the jug snatched out of your hands having
    water splashed all over you while trying to net a good fish. I have seen grown men shake with excitement. We enjoy jug fishing and have no problem with other fishermen. We give them their space and they return
    the favor. I try to envision the problems I read about with other fishermen.
    The only thing I can come up with is their rivers are smaller and there are
    more people fishing. We do keep some fish, what we keep are 10 lb. and
    under these are the best eaters. All fish over 10 lb. are released right after they are caught. I normally have enough fish for a couple of fish frys in the
    freezer. We also fish for bass, crappie, and bream. We sometimes fish with
    R&R for catfish. We are not jug fishing every weekend like some people
    think, keeping all we catch. We jug fish four or five times a summer, we
    just enjoy fishing.

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    :big_smile:

10. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Fun for the kiddos. Like gigantic corks. Just as much fun watching them get excited as it is fishing.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Both! Not only is is a good way to put some fish in the freezer to eat, but it's lots of fun to watch and chase the jugs. When jugging for crappie, I've actually had the people on a couple of nearby boats put away their rods to watch us chase the jugs. I think they were even more excited than we were.

As far as stressing fish left on jugs overnight, I don't feel that this is much of a consideration. Unlike rod & reel fishing, where you are constantly pulling on the fish, a jug just sits there; unless the fish pulls against the jug, the fish just swims along. And that's what they'll often do. Jugging on the Arkansas River, my jugs usually get strung out enough that I can't keep a close eye on every jug every minute. It's a matter of constantly running back and forth to watch them. It's a common thing for a catfish to hit the bait, get hooked, pull against the jug a minute or two, then quit pulling and just swim along with the current. Until I came up with a way to make my jugs 'flag', I'd have to run my boat near each jug to see how they bounced in the wake; jugs with a fish on would bounce differently. There's probably more stress involved in leaving a fish on a trotline, but even with them, I've often started running a line and felt no pulling; only when I started moving the line to check & rebait it did the fish begin to pull.

12. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

It sounds like you have been fishing with me on my boat. Thats exactly the set up we run. Other than the live bait because its illegal in North Carolina. Other than that, its about identical to how we fish and get er done way up north in the carolinas. Ever make it up gimme a shout. Sounds like you'd fit right on in with me and my crew.

13. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    OK yall have got me thinking I need to go to the mississippi river this weekend and try my hand with jugs, I have 12 rigged an ready to go but it has about 30 years since I have put any jugs out , would I need to put them out around wing dikes or sandbars, what would be your suggestions, any input would be greatly appreciated.:confused2::confused2:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im shocked not to see a couple guys posting here. though there on my ignore list they usually hit all jug posts to say something.

any how. good.

in illinois there only to be used under consistant supervision of the angler. YES. FISHERMEN. and i do like that law. i seldom jug. but with the recent jugs by bert win. ill be doing it more often. i chose to release big fish over 10-15 lbs depending on the day. most under are kept untill i get 50 lbs in freezor. then i fish for fun. but i would never jug for fun. if i had my freezor stocked with fillets the jugs would go to the shed and rod and reel is for my fun fishing.

15. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    See exactly what I mean thats the way I think jugging should be done for freezer and then recreationally do other methods it seems like its an "advantage" or not as sport like to jug...I dunno never been I want to go!!!!!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jugging is like any other method of catfishing; it should be done responsibly. Personally, I like jugging enough that I would probably do some even if I were going to release all the fish. But I'm sure that rod & reel fishing would be a larger part of my fishing time in that case. I enjoy trotlining, but not so much that I'd do it if I were going to release everything. I just don't get the same kick out of trotlining that I do from watching the jugs bounce and chasing them down. But it's a good way to put some fish in the freezer. And in my case at least, catching more fish means that I can be more selective about what I keep for the freezer. That means letting the big ones go, as well as anything I should catch that I don't need to keep for the table.

17. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah you guys got me way interested I have AN AWESOME R&R DAY WITH CATCHING LIKE 2 I CAN ONLY IMAGINE FILTERING THROUGH BUNCHES OF FISH

18. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep juggin is for fun and for meat, and for thrill.
    I set jugs three at a time for location. I also set them for meat. I s it a thrill to land a big fish on a jug. Hell yes. I release all fish over 15. Yep got a scale to prove that.
    By the way I shy away from bait shops and such. Yes I want a lot of folks to find out that THEY can cath a freshwater fish bigger than they expect.
    Eat whgat you want, brag all you want, thats what cell phones are for, release the biggun,s to grow, and do not submit comments whenyou have caught some.

KEEP THEM LINES WET

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    At age 54 for the first time in my life :wink::smile2:
    Last weekend a buddy of mine whom I met on BOC said to me ya ever jug fish any I said no never did. HE says to me ya want to. Being curios I said sure why not So we put out 15 I think My buddy hooked one big sucker on jug fishing. I had a blast chasing and hooking those jugs bringing them to the boat and not knowing what might be on the hook. Will I do it again?? Heck yes. Was I excited You bet. Went out this week and got some line. hooks and sinkers I already had. Jugs well told the wife to save any thing that floats. Couldn't find those fancy ones at wally world they had sold out. didn't have any of the swiming noodles either guess it's to late in the year. Thought about going to Lowes and getting some pvc and making some but budget wouldn't let me.

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky

Ken case you didn't know I'm a jug fisher to If you care to take the dare I just might jug fish with you !:wink: Maybe we can jug Cave run or that place off cave run you were mentioning sometime .