Jugging trip on the Meramec River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Kutter, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We kinda hijacked another thread, so I thought I would move this to a new one.

gmvk30, Teamwhiskers and I are going jugging on the Meramec River Saturday, June 9th. We plan on leaving the Flam City boat ramp at around 6 pm. Flam City is where Telegraph Rd crosses the Meramec in Arnold. We plan on heading up river and will run jugs from near George Winter Park all the way down to the Mississippi River.

For those that haven't been reading the other thread, heres the story. I am a catch and release catman. However, my wife demands SOME catfish in the freezer, so every now and then, I take the jugs out for filling the freezer with catfish. Rarely have I caught large ones when jugging, so that isn't in the equation. If a big one does get caught, I would release it. (definition of big will be determined by how much luck we are having, LOL)

With so many jugs out, I see no way to do any rod/reel fishing, so I won't even bring mine. Vince, if you would leave yours at home also, I would appreciate the extra room. I have jugged rivers before, it's WORK! I'll have my 30 out, not sure if Vince is bringing any. After posting this, I gotta get back out to the boat and figure out how to mount a new spotlight I got.

If anybody else is interested in going, post it here please. All are welcome.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'LL BE THERE!!!:tounge_out: I usually run bank poles, but I left them up at my camper at Mark Twain, so I'll probably run some limblines, or maybe a trotline. I'm gonna try to round up as many jugs this evening as I can. I'm going out on the Mississippi here it a bit, and I'm gonna try to get us some shad. I might even try to catch some perch and keep them alive too. Who knows, I might even do a little rod and reel fishing since I won't have that many jugs. See you guys tomorrow evening!!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Why does everyone do all the fun stuff in St. Louis.

There needs to be more people in Southeast Missouri.

Most of the people that I have met around here I would not even begin to trust them enough to go fishing with.

One guy that I met talks about doing stuff like telephoning then 2 days later says something about going fishing with him. I need to be with a guy like that and get in trouble for him doing something stupid like I need a big hole in my head.

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was going to just bring one little medium action was all for dinks. I have an extra spot light if needed. Otherwise, I guess ill just ride along and shut up for once! lol This should be an experience of a lifetime.. are you sure we will have enough Gas???

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Wish I could make it, but as I said in the original thread I have plans Saturday night. I might try to run by the boat dock to at least meet some of you guys before you head out.

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well I can't make it tomorrow, but I did manage to make a run tonight after I got off work. We put in at George Winter Park and went down river all the way to the Mississippi. There is one area where the water gets shallow we stayed to the right (going down river) which was the shallow side (I think the current normally runs to the other side there). It stayed around 3.5 foot in the shallowest spot. I run a Tracker Pro Guide 17 Deep V and had no problems getting through any of it. Anyway, thought I'd help out and let you know that the river was runnable from the park on down with the water at these current levels.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I sure am sorry I'm going to miss out on this "JUGGIN' EXTRAVAGANZA!!" For those of you that will be attending, it aught to be an experience!!

I did make it out for a couple hours tonight, I put in a the Melvin Price Dam around 6:00 pm, spent about an hour catching bait, which included 3 skippies, and shad. I caught the skips on rod n reel with a Sabiki rig. I then baited 2 poles with cut skippies and 2 with shad. The poles with the skips were the first two to produce fish! 2 13-15 pounders in about 25 minutes. I then loaded up the other two poles and the skips produced again, I caught another 16 pounder and then a MONSTER drum! I was off the river around 9:20ish. A fair catch for only a couple hours worth of fishin'!

Would have loved to stay longer but I didn't want to keep the little one out to late.

I am still waiting to start landing those 30, 40, 50 and bigger fish!! Just need to keep studying the water and hopefully they will come!

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey fellows, I would love to come wiht you, but I have too tight of a time frame to fish tonight (cant get out of the house until about 5ish). Dust_stl and I are going to hit Cruivre Island. It is close to my home, and I can get bait on the way to my spots, so a 5 hour fishing window is OK.

Let me know how the noodle herding goes. It sounds like a good time. Maybe Dustin and I can put something together on the Miss River above the confluence.

CP

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We managed to get 2 for Kutters freezer. I think I will stick to rod and reels. You do not have to count them as much and run them down. Was interesting to see how a gar takes a jug with a circle and will not get hooked for some reason. Otherwise we had a great time as it got rather deep as usual in Kutters boat..

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey guys how did it go? any big cats to report?:roll_eyes:

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    4 panic attacks, 3 gar, 2 cats about 3 pounds, 1 rolaid due to the Water Patrol giving us an inspection just after dark while all our jugs were drifting into other fishermen under a bridge...

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Details, details, never give them the details!
    In answer to the original thread that started all this, "Is there any catfish in the Meramec?", the answer is "There was, but we caught them all". That's all we need to say Vince. LOL
    Oh, we could also truthfully say "We caught dozens of fish, but Kutter only took home two eating sized catfish for his wife to have for supper.".

Personally, I thought it was one of the best jugging trips I have ever had. I tirelessly drove the boat while Vince played around baiting up the jugs, setting them out, grabbing them out of the water, resetting and stringing them up for storage when we got done. Gary got plumb tuckered out watching him. (Don't look at me like that! Vince DID say he wanted to come along to learn how to jug!) I think Gary snapped a couple of pic's, but they were only of Vince and his favorite pets, gar.

On a good note, I didn't lose a single jug. Gary, unlike Vince, obviously did his homework and studied up about me. I had told them I had 4 good spotlights and they didn't need to bring any. Thanks Gary for bringing yours! We'd of never found all my jugs without your light. I'll get all mine working before our next trip.

Vince is being kind with his light mention of the Water Patrol. I could of gotten nailed with tickets, but got away with a warning. I got out of them because of Vince mentioning that he was a Professional Fisherman. Yep, the guy forgot all about me right then an there. He had his full concentration on Vince after that. He even offered to write Vince a ticket just so he could get Vince's autograph. He was such a nice man. I guess he was still so impressed that when he checked Gary out, he let him go with a warning too.

All in all, I had a wonderful time. I had wanted to give Gary and Vince a real adventure to remember. Unfortunately, no close calls or mishaps occurred. Didn't run out of gas or anything. Not even one leak in the boat and the motor started on every try. Oh, well, they all can't be exciting and memorable trips. Last summer, I took a fellow BOC member on a trip where a storm came up and blew us over a wingdike. Now THAT trip is not one he would soon forget. At least I assume, haven't heard from him again. Come to think about it, I haven't seen him on the board here since then either. I took Fastman out last year also. He had never seen a bighead carp, so I showed him Cuz's baitcatching technique of getting the carp to jump in the boat. He was real impressed with seeing 6 in the air at the same time. He still posts now and then, but I guess he prefers fishing on Lake of the Ozarks, cause he hasn't asked for another trip out on the Mississippi River again. Tea fished with me once out of my boat, so has Bearcat and a few others. Kinda strange though, none of them have gone out in my boat more than once.

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks guys. It is great hearing about the trip and then reading the report too. Lots of poking fun and inside jokes. It is like we were all there in a way.

CP

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did learn several things out there this past weekend. First of all… To take my own light no matter who says how many they have! Another one you might not think of is of Those fanny pack life jackets are basically worthless to have in the boat unless they are worn in the eyes of the law. Luckily, Kutter has two other back ups that saved us from that infraction. I also did not know that you couldn’t run a lantern on the bow of the boat because then you couldn’t see the little red and green light in the dark. That one blew me away!

I do remember making the comment of how CP would have written that one up with his unique writing style.. and then how cube would have followed up with it.. So your ears should have been ringing also as that topic did come up..

We should add in the rather quiet and dry sense of humor that Gary has by forgetting that he has one of the jugs in his shad bucket when Kutter and I were all over the river searching for that one because the count was off.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    So what did he get you guys for? I was out there all day on Saturday and we only caught 1 little Drum and 1 baby catfish. When we pulled out at George Winter Park I seen the Water Patrol up there doing inspections on the parking lot. Apparently they are there every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month doing inspections. I put out 4 limb lines on Saturday and went back on Sunday to check them. All 4 had empty hooks, so we fished for a few hours Sunday morning and caught one more little Drum. All in all it was a nice weekend to be out on the river even if the fish weren't biting. Did you guys run all the way up to George Winter Park? It was a mad house up there around 2 when we took the boat out on Saturday. Jet ski's going every which way and not paying any attention to the no wake areas when I was taking my boat out.....Boat ended up crooked on the trailer when I pulled it out due to a big wave hitting it as I pulled up....I was not a happy camper and had more than a few choice words to say about the idiots out there.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Did ya notice how when he told us he had forgot about that one, that he didn't even crack a smile?
    Man, HE IS GOOD!:big_smile:

I swear, we weren't out their till after 6pm. Wasn't us! :wink:

17. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We stopped just past the Tesson Ferry bridge and decided it wasnt worth the extra run since the river was running so slow. Then we drifted just below the 55 bridge and ended up drifting through the arnold bridge area. Probably the worse areas to jug in.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO

Honestly!! I didn't know it was there,:embarassed: my shad net had it covered up. Looking back, seems like everytime we moved, I was double checking my boat just to be sure that I didn't have any more stow aways with me!:big_smile:
    We all will have to go out again real soon for some rod and reel fishin' I had a great time!

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    On Friday I ran my boat down to the mouth of the Mississippi, but didn't feel confident to go out into it. I'd love to tag along with one of you guys sometime out on the Mississippi. I'd like to learn a little about being on the big river before trying it myself......SO, if anyones looking for a fishing partner I'd love to join up with ya. Even if your just going out scouting new holes and don't plan on fishing any is fine.

20. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I thought that I had heard a buzzing noise in the air that day. I chaulked it up to be the spawning catfish below my boat making fun of my inability to catch a fish. Now I know what it really was... appreciation for my disjointed sence of humor.

Next time more than 3 BOC'ers get together in the east end of the state and it is an open-invite, I will do my darndest to be there.

Forsake not the meeting of the bretheren...

Rev. CP