Jugging tips for the river

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bassadict69, Jul 25, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I am planning on taking my wife & daughter catfishing this Saturday night on the river. I also plan on making some of the noodles (I found the plans here) & running them also.

Can anyone give me some helpful tips for jugging out there?bait?depth?etc?

I have ran jugs a couple of times out there without much luck so I definately need some help.

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I jug on the river alot, have had best luck in January/ February this year as far as size of fish. Anyway, I fished my bait anywhere between 5 and 10' deep in water ranging from 15 to 25' in places. I do not anchor my jugs as I feel that they create a better scent trail if they can move freely. I have ALWAYS done better with jugs that move rather than stationary jugs. I guess that's why I do bette in rivers than lakes. I take a 6/0 Eagle Claw circle or 8/0 Gamma Octo Circle and use cut shad or cut bream (shad is alot better). I have even used cut eel with good results. With your wife/daughter fishing it will be a blast watching them pull up the jugs and see the fish (or gar or turtle or even eel) float up to the top of the water. Just be prepared for whatever is on the other end of that line!If it's bobbing pretty hard it's usually a cat. In my experience, the smaller cats pull it harder than the bigger cats do, but I still love it and I'm sure your family will too. Good luck!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I seem to do better with freefloating jugs than with anchored jugs, too. I like to have my juglines as long as possible without hanging up too often, with the hooks spaced from the bottom to within a few feet of the surface; sometimes I do best on the shallow hooks, sometimes best on the deep hooks. By covering the entire water column, I put bait near the fish regardless of what depth they're at.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am sending you a pm with my cell number. If you are out here in Haughton, let me know and I will show you what we cought over 200 lbs of fish on this past weekend. Biggest was 23lbs.

None of mine are over 5 foot long and half are about 2-3 foot drops. The fish are running shallow right now.

Call me.

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been using noodle jugs the past two weekends on the Mississippi with my family and we have been having a great time. There are lots of good noodle jug plans on the internet but if you want I can show you four or five that I used to get ideas from. I took an idea from here and and an idea from there and came up with a hybrid. I would recommend using trotline clips as this makes things much easier. We have been using live goldfish and bluegills as bait.

6. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Just finished making 15 noodle jugs...I ran out of pvc for the 16th :confused2:

I read on here somewhere about using pvc glue to hold the pipe inside the noodle. Mine doesn't seem to be sticking. Am I doing something wrong?

7. MississippiJugHead

State:
    Missouri
    The PVC glue is to hold the end caps on the PVC pipe, not to affix the noodle to the jug. If your PVC is loose you might be better off with a larger size pipe. Most plans call for 1/2 inch but I find 3/4 fits better in the noodles I am using. Not all noodles on the market have the same size hole running through them so your results may vary...

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Free floating with shad or bluegill .

9. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    The noodles I bought have the smaller holes in them, 1/2 inch ftis pretty snug so I don't think it will be a problem.

I don't think I could get 3/4 through the hole.

10. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    I like the fat man nuldes. they have a 3/4 hole in the midle so i use a 1 in pvc going to try them in the morning.

11. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I used Gorilla glue ho hold the pipe in the noodle. Only had one come apart and I think that was due to operator error on my part. If you have a good one be sure to grab the pipe instead of the noodle it's self. Better to hook the line with a pole mounted hook than grab the noodle. Big thing is if you get a really big one be ready to drop the noodle if needed and let it get a little more tired if you have to.

12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Thanks Robert...

I tried your cell phone last night & left a message, I'll try you again later or you can call me at work...746-3331 (ask for James) I don't think they know who bassadict69 is :big_smile: :big_smile_2:

13. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    i like to anchor mine

14. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
  15. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    and a 80 pound test

16. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I have been fishing with noodle jug for two years now. I made my first set out 2 5/8 noodles with PVC pipe throught the center, reflecive tape so that your spot light makes them glow. But this year I have bought jug making kits from Maine Wolf Product (Sponser) and you can use glow sticks with them so they are easier to keep track of during the night. And if you are using a recharable spot light, this save the power on your light. You only have to use the night when the glow stick stand straight up. He got a spool for the line, it will take 25 ft of troutline line. This is adjustable, so you can set it from 5 ft to 26 ft. If you get a chance go to his site and check them out. His site is on the right side of the screen. Have fun with your noodles.

17. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    It was good talking to you James. Maybe I will se you out Friday night at the noodle hole!

18. MississippiJugHead

State:
    Missouri
    Lots of great advice. I hope you La guys don't mind me joining in. I couldn't agree more with grabbing the pipe instead of the noodle and also in using a pole with a hook to retrieve them. I make mine where the pipe is twice as long as the noodle so there is plenty of room to grab.

19. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Good talking to you too! It is great to find a site with members who are always willing to share their information & help others catch fish. I definately appreciate it! I have to work Saturday morning so I won't be making it to the river until Saturday evening/night.

Thanks to everyone for the replies & help! and MSJughead, join in anytime!

20. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What benefit does PVC give for noodles? I wrap 150 pound nylon around the ends of my noodles a few times and pull it so tight it makes a constriction in the noodle that prevents slippage. I use a 10 foot pvc pipe with a hook to snag the jugs. The pvc is sealed so it floats. I can drop it if it's a lunker and grab it later and if it's a mid sized cat the pvc gives me a little play, kind of like a cane pole with bream.