Jugging the Alabama River

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by fisheater, Jun 15, 2007.

1. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been juggin on the Alabama around Montgomery with no luck. Any tips on how deep and will shiners work for bait.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like to set my juglines as deep as possible without hanging up too often, with hooks spaced from about 3' deep to the bottom of the jugline. For channels & blues, I much prefer cut bait, fresh shad or skipjack if possible.

3. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    i had the same problem, no bites. i would love to hear any good advice on the al. river around montgomery.

4. smith_77

smith_77 New Member

State:
    Verbena AL.
    I grew up on the alabama river in Autaugaville AL. This is down river from Montgomery. I lived on Molly Branch. The best way to jug down that way is to use a jug that won't catch a lot of wind and fish it no more than 4' to 5' deep with cut shad. Also don't use no lead on the line. Find a straight away on the main run of the river and if possible set jugs around 20' from bank. The best is to find a slough and set jugs in the back when their pulling water. Over the years I have caught some 60 to 70#'s in the back of Holly grounds and Behind Rose Marie's Island. I hope this helps!

5. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    that sounds great. about how far down river from cooters are you talking about.
    i have been using 20 oz coke bottles with a split sinker. have you found the bit to be better in the at night or do they bite about the saem in the day?

6. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    Brandon, one thing I *always* do is sharpen my hooks. Haven't found anything out of the pack that's sharp enough. I use a small flat file and sharpen the two sides and the outside edge of the hook. I have noticed a significant increase in stuck vs. missed fished on the rod and reel. I translated this to the jug lines/hooks as well.

Mike

7. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thank everyone for the help. I am usually around Gunter Hill and I will try your tips thanks.

8. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    let us know how it goes.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'll be around that area also...I'll let you know if i find a pattern that is workin. there's enough cats in that river for everyone..:)

Good Fishin
    Mike

10. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Fisheater,

You can't catch no cats, U aint got the experience on that river!!!!!

The cats are kicking your BUTT & taking your bait!!!!!