Jugging question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It has been stated, and I have observed, that limb liners and juggers catch more and bigger fish. The "more" part I have never questioned, but I have always wondered why these tactics produce "bigger" fish. What is it about these tactics that produces bigger fish. I am NOT trying to start a controversy, but to further my education on the mentioned tactics, and to possibly implement the theory to R&R. We ALL like to catch BIG fish, regardless of the method.
    Bill in SC

2. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Don't know for sure, but I do know that at times a school of catfish will continuously hit jughooks when the wont touch bait on the end of a rod & reel, even cork lines. It's bound to have something to do with the fact that no boat is around. You know, if you set some cork lines and then back your boat way off, you'll have a hard time setting the hook cause of all that excess line. But, if you used a gallon jug as a cork, it might work.

3. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    that's a good question........... I just think it gives me more time to hang out with family on a boat and watch jugs bounce. it's not really about the size or the number. so I don't know the answer

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont know about jugs but as for limb lines i have seen people go out set the he!! out of them and not catch a thing or just little ones even on the same river as i fish
    i believe you have to know what your doing to make even limblines productive to catch big cats of any kind

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Simple, that limbline or jug doesn't reel up and move every 15-20 min.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Could be that the water they are set in is just more productive. Limb lines are normally set close to a bank, where little fish live. Big fish eat little fish, so the larger fish in shallow water is actively feeding. Jug lines may just have been lucky and set on a migratory path large fish follow to shallow, or it may be that fish are more suspended in a water column than previously thought. It serves a purpose to load a freezer and for CPR addicts also. Not all fish caught on a jug or limb line are headed for the Crisco.

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I don't know but maybe it is like drift fishin' for cats. I seem to catch better and bigger fish drifting. Jugs for the most part drift. I know there is different ways to jug fish but when I done it years ago(and loved it) we just tossed them over and they drifted with the current. Don't know why but we seemed to catch bigger fish and more while juggin'. See I can be positive and post a respectful post on this subject!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::tounge_out::cool2:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't think that a jug is any better than rod and reel fishing in the same period of time. Jugs could be left out for many hours where a fisherman could not stay that long. The simple fact of the matter is that the longer you are out there with bait in the water the better the chance of catching fish.

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Wylie on this one. Jug fishing has its disadvanges as well.

The main one being you set the jug where the fish are not, you at least have a perch for dinner. Even if you pick up fish on your fish locator, doesnt mean where you drop the jug off they will stay in that area. Fishing from a boat, you can move when the fish move out.

Drifting and fishing from a boat you hit a dead hole you can move.

The other disadvantage of jug fishing, usually you only catch one fish, at a time, where as you hit a hot hole with 5-10 rods, you can catch more fish. As for the size, I really dont see an advantage.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    jugs are very patient and they don't make any noise....

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I appreciate all the replies, without any arguing. :big_smile: I had pretty much considered all the angles presented thus far. Still kind of an enigma. We are having a camp over this weekend on the Pee Dee at Dunham's Bluff at Britton's Neck. Friday night and Saturday. Gonna be a BIG crowd. Small 4 hour tourney Sat morning just for kicks. Would love for any of you folks who wished to come camp with us. I'm pretty sure some NC members will be there.
    BB in SC

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    your state is different and all waters are different. ive never caught fish larger than 10lbs on any method other thaan rod and reel here.:embarassed:

13. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    bill it's getting toooo close to deer season. when I come to sc next I'll be bringin a gun, not a fishing line. thanks for the fishing invite!

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There have been some good reasons already given. But one not mentioned is luck. With either method we can put a bait in a good looking spot, or one that has produced before; or, we can drift our bait along, either under a float or close to the bottom. But neither method is going to produce a big fish (or any fish) till the bait is close enough to a feeding fish for it to take the bait. Jugfishing simply provides more opportunities for that to happen, because there are more hooks in the water. Granted, if a person targets big fish, choosing big fish spots and big fish baits, a higher percentage of the fish caught will be big fish. But think for a minute how many big cats are caught accidentally by people fishing for other species. That's nothing but luck. Getting a bait in front of a feeding big cat. When I jugfish using freefloating jugs, I'm not targeting big fish; I'm after eating size fish. But I catch quite a few big cats that way. Since I'm not trying to catch them, maybe I should say that I catch them by accident. But I've found some good spots to R&R fish for those big ones that way, too. I think that anchored jugs, limblines, and trotlines are going to catch a higher percentage of big cats because they are stationary near a picked spot.