Jugging legalized in Kansas !

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Nov 1, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Read this article a little bit ago. Glad they didnt include Perry and Clinton. Not too happy about Hillsdale though. Real happy its only allowed in the daylight hours. If I see any out at night time, Ive got me some new jugs, and I dont even jug fish, Ill figure out a way to turn them into a big river bobber. :smile2:
    Thoughts?

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fi...MMISSION-APPROVES-FLOAT-FISHING-PILOT-PROJECT

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I am Not Really Happy About This At All And A 2.50 For A Permit Its Not Like They Are Really Making Money Off It.

Thanks For The Link Keith.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Uh Oh!! I didnt ever think that would happen. I think its kinda stupid that they are only allowing it during the day. Thats when the most boat traffic is. We will see how it works. At least the are supposed to be suprvised. Time will tell, just hopefully before its too late.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

some things should be left alone,jugs in kansas is one of them it makes little sence to allow them after all this time

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    OK, I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want opinions.
    Whats wrong with Jug fishing? I've done it once in Oklahoma, and had a blast.
    I've seen it done on fishing shows, and they had a blast.
    Have any of you that oppose it ever tried it?

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have jug fished plenty in Ok. That was when there wasnt as many people fishin for cats. Now everybody and their brother want to fish for them. The same lake we jugged on is now covered with them.
    I dont really care about the method of fishing. I just wish there was a slot limit or something in place to promote more trophy fishing.
    I do like the fact that they have to be attended. I think that will make a big difference in preventing overharvest. I think we have enough methods though. Why keep adding more? Are people not catchin enough fish with the methods already allowed?

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I see it ending up like the set lines.
    "Oh I'm to tired or I'm out of beer to hell with the jugs I'm just going to leave them."
    This is where the problems come in.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I see both sides to this but 2 things (1) not every body likes to fish rod and reel and ( 2 ) It up to the fisherman to police this because there is not enough wardens, when there left just call and complain about it and sooner are later they will do something about it, but there is plenty room for every body.

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I clean enough trash and old limb lines off of tuttle ( blue river) :confused2: I guess we will see. I hope it doesn't become a litter problem:confused2:, cause if I find them abanded I'll will take them straight to park ranger or G W.:cool2:

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't read the final rule, but I read about this on KDWP page a few weeks ago when they were proposing it or voting on it or whatever. But what I read is that they said it had to be closed foam or something like that. They also didn't call it jugging, they called it "float lining." Sounds like they made that up to make a distinction that you couldn't use jugs. Also it would seem to me, that a closed cell foam type system would either take time to make or money to buy... if it was me, I sure wouldn't want to abandon something that took me time to make or money to buy (not that I would just leave a jug floating around either). I think that was probably their intentions when they legalized it. I'm kind of like you guys though, we'll see how it works out and I might try it a time or two just to have a little fun (r&r will always be my favorite method though). But at least it won't look like a bunch of trash floating around everywhere like it would with jugs.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats one of my main conserns. the other is pretty mutch the same fish gets in a snag on a rope they cant get off and sence its snagged they leave it.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, disagree with you there, better ONLY in the day, at least you can see'm when you're boating. My first experience with jugs was on Texoma a long time ago, went out in the day time, wondered what all those "trot lines":roll_eyes:were doing in that deep water. Coming back at night, I probably had to cut a couple dozen of those things off of my prop, they didn't even have reflective tape on them, I'm sure there were a lot of PO'd juggers the next day.
    As long as it's daytime only, and they have to be observed and it's legal, that's what it's gonna be.
    Ray, just my opinion now, I don't see any sport or challenge in it, kinda like bank lining or trot lining, just a way to catch fish with no skill involved. Never jug lined, but I used to trot line with my son, fun at first catching all those fish, but then it was more like a job, run the lines in the morning before work, rebait, come home from work, go check the lines, rebait, clean fish, then we wound up with more fish than we wanted so we'd give them to the less fortunate?:roll_eyes:
    I just don't see a need for it, unless you're just fishing to feed your family or something.
    BUT, as long as it's legal, to each his own.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Harold, true, report them, and sooner or later, someone:eek:oooh: will do something about it. Kansas is so understaffed with CO's, it's gonna be A LOT LATER, before any thing is done. You can report them, but unless the CO actually catches them in the act, they can't do anything. You can be reported for speeding and reckless driving, but if you're not observed in the act, the police can't do anything about it! The same applies to hunting and fishing violations.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

ya theres a lot of bank fishermen that forget to pick up beer cans and liver containers too. it aint a jugger. its a peice of trash thats leaves them. and he belongs in the same group with the scumbags that leave the piles of crap on the bank too.

juggers aint all litterers, and bank or rod and reel fisherman aint all saints either.:wink:

15. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    We have to remember this is just a pilot program. So if you live around these lakes watch for people breaking the rules. And the instant they do, call the game warden and report it. And then get your buddy right next to you to call and report it. The more it is reported as being abused the more likely it is to not become a permanent program. Oh and I've jug fished in OK and I dont see the sport in it. It is a good way to catch meat fast if thats what your doing though.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jugs allow the overhavesting of catfidh

17. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Becareful guys remember this if you see unmark jugs or jugs at night and you touch them they become yours and if a game warden is watching them you will get the ticket

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I'm trying to see both sides, but this my take on things so far.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that bank cat fishermen were the biggest slobs in the world,.. worm, and liver tubs, Walmart bags, beer cans, a little bit of everything scattered along river and lake banks. Do all Bank anglers leave trash like that? I don't think so. So I'm not going to judge all jug or limb liners for the same reason.

Over harvesting: A 10 fish limit is a 10 fish limit no matter what method you use.
    If everyone is obeying the limit laws, whats whats to worry about? If some is going to take too many fish, their probably already doing so illegally already.

Jugs getting caught in props: Man that would piss me off for sure, but if they are attended too, like the project proposes in daylight hours, that likely hood goes way down.

Not being a sport: The one and only time I did it, I had a blast, but I'm easily entertained. There must be a lot of people that enjoy it, or there wouldn't be enough support to require a proposal. Not everyone has the same taste in fun. I don't know why anyone would want to chase a little white ball around a pasture, but lots of people do.

The way I see it, responsible ethical people are not going to have any more impact on cat fishing or the environment than we do, so why should they be excluded or punished because of slobs, and pricks.

I haven't been around jug fishing very much, and maybe if I had, I would have a different opinion.
    Personally, until I see the fault with my own two eyes, I say lets try it.

If someone has other opinions against it, I'd like to hear them.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In general I don’t support this, as I don’t support the change to allow hand fishing in KS. It’s not so much that I’m against jugging, but I’d like to see Kansas manage catfish in a way to improve the population of big catfish, and big flatheads in particular. That could be done with an “only 1 fish over 34” limit” similar to Tennessee, or with a slot limit. It seems like approval of additional harvest methods without additional protections is a step backwards.

Kansas is also stocking blue catfish into most of its reservoirs now. While I appreciate that there will be more opportunities to catch bigger blues eventually, I also expect a negative impact on the flathead populations. For whatever reason, there are very few waters in this country that support really good flathead and blue cat fisheries at the same time. Kansas has some great flathead lakes compared to most of the rest of the country, and between the additional methods and the introduction of blue cats I’m afraid we will damage it. We could offset some of that with some better protections for the big flatheads.

“Material used for floats will be restricted to “closed cell” devices made of plastic, wood, or foam; metal or glass floats will not be allowed. Closed-cell floats do not hold water, which will help prevent the spread of zebra mussels.”

I read into this that a plastic jug is fine, and that metal and glass floats are not allowed. Who the heck would use a glass or metal float anyway? On the bright side, only allowing daytime jugging, allowing just 8 jugs, requiring the jugs to be attended, and limiting the jug season to 60 days will help minimize any damage to the big fish populations. My worry is less about the “pilot program” and more about what it may lead to in terms of a general regulation that is less restrictive.

20. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Gary, thats the best opinion I've seen against it so far. Thank you, this is what I was hoping for, good solid reasoning without argument.

About the Blue cats,... do you think they will have that much affect on Flats?
    I always thought they were almost opposites in their feeding habits, and such.