Jugging in SC

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by fowlmood, Mar 19, 2008.

1. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First question
    Can anyone tell me why it is only legal on Lakes Greenwood, Secession, Richard B. Russell, Thurmond, and Stevens Creek? Sure would be nice to be able to set a few out on the river and float along with them.
    Second question
    Anyone have any luck using this method on these bodies of water?

2. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was not aware that jug fishing was not legal on the rivers, but I can see why it would make sense. Every time I go I see jugs hung up on limbs where someone lost them. (Some folks are not afraid of the game warden, but I am. He can take your boat, motor, and contents plus fine you enough that you can't afford another one.) If you toss out 20 jugs you are not likely to get them all back by the time you are a few miles down the river.

But the main reason I don't bother with jugs and trotlines is that most of the fun is learning how to think like a catfish, seeing the reel bend double, and hearing the clicker sing. Why trade that for a mess of fish?

3. captinparker

captinparker New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont know the answer to yuor question, but I have done it a few times and they are hard to keep up with. Also if the jugs arent all the same, they will drift at different speeds making it even harder to keep up with.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Can anyone tell me why it is only legal on Lakes Greenwood, Secession, Richard B. Russell, Thurmond, and Stevens Creek..."

SC has actually had the good sense to realize that jug fishing is safety, litter, and enviromental hazard and should be strictly limited.

Hopefully SC anglers will push to have it banned on all waters in SC.

5. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I went to Badin last year for the first time,fished up towards the dam till after dark.Started back and some guys had the lake full of jugs,it was like going thru an obstacle course dodging them with the boat and spotlight on the way back.I dont know how many they were out,but it was a lot of em.That was my first time seeing that many jugs on the water. I just wonder what percent they get back at the end of their fish trip!I'll bout bet it aint all of them.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Were the jugs marked? If not, take them and throw them away. They are nothing more than garbage.

7. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK I see I hit a sore spot. I see you guys point and I agree they could be trash. I never thought of using so many that I couldnt keep up with, just was looking for something different. I didn't mean no harm :wink:

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    To each his own.