Jugging for crappie?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by bud_rabon, May 22, 2006.

1. bud_rabon

bud_rabon New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Has anyone every hear of jugging for crappie? If so how bout some info. I might like to give it a shot!!

2. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    im not sure, but i think you would get a better responce if you put your post in FISHING AMERICA...CRAPPIE FISHING....HOOKMAN....

3. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think you will get a better responce there too... crappie fishing... it would be interesting to find out though if it is leagal
    playinghooky

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In texas it is illegal.

The fishing guide/regulation book says

jug line may be used to take bait fish, and catfish, no other gamefish my be retained.

Also even if it was legal, crappies mouths are very fragile and leaving them on a jug even a few minutes would result in them getting off. I dont think it would be practical even if was legal.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've done a fair bit of jugging for crappie, using minnows for bait. I found that about half the fish I caught were crappie, a quarter were b@$$, and a quarter were catfish. I simply determined how deep I wanted to fish (about 4'), measured off that much 10# mono, tied it on a jug, attached a gold wire crappie hook, and added a splitshot. Strangely enough, I didn't have much more trouble with crappie getting off the hook than with catfish getting off; in other words, not enough trouble to be concerned. And a number of times, I left my jugs out overnight and picked them up at dawn the next day. Actually, I had more trouble with crappie dying on the hook overnight than with them getting off. If the crappie was gut-hooked, I could understand it dying, but I never did figure out why a lip-hooked crappie would die overnight; with only 4' of line, the thermocline certainly shouldn't have come into play. As a matter of fact, the lake was only 8'-9' deep; I don't think there would have been a thermocline.

6. catdog

catdog New Member

State:
    tennessee
    never tried it not sure if they would stay on

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure that some crappie get off the hook, but so do catfish, whether I'm using jugs, trotline, or rod & reel. But I've put out jugs for crappie overnight and found a good catch the next morning.