jugging for channels - What methods does everyone use

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by katfish hunter, Jan 14, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Me and my dad tossed out a couple jugs hopin to catch some big channels. I baited them with a fresh cut blue gill that i had caught 30 min. earlier. Has any one used jugs to fish for channels?What type of bait would be most affective usin this method?

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You might want to try chicken livers, either fresh or cured, or curt shad, or shad guts.

Ray

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Welcome to the BOC Katfish hunter!

I have never jugged fished before because it's illegal here, but I would like to try some time ;)!

Believe it or not I have heard alot of people use Zote soap on them. They have a scent that attracts the cats in. As far as bait goes just use what you would use on rod and reel.

Good Luck on the water

Josh

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Cut or live shad/bluegill/skipjack, chicken livers.

Whatever you would normally use on a rod and reel.

5. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Me and my dad checked the jugs this morning.When we tried to pull one up, it had been snagged.The jug had moved about twenty feet from where we put it.Then we checked our other jug and we pulled it up and every hook but one was completely torn off of the swivels.:cursing: The 30lb line was twisted like crazy.The swivels were nearly bent in half.I was usin fresh cut bluegill on that jug.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Try useing heavier line, I use 80# braided Dacron.
    I usally run 3 hooks on my permanent jugs (depending on how deep the water is) with a 2 lb. weight on the bottom.
    The hooks are placed every 3 feet up from the bottom. Tie the hooks to a 12" leader and then tie the leader to a 3 way swivel on the main line. The 3 way swivel will help eliminate the line twist you had. I use 7/0 or 8/0 circle hooks.
    Hope this helps.

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    30 pound line? fishing line? I use old antifreeze jugs with heavy duty nylon string, i dont use swivels at all. i make two loops in the main line at how ever deep i want to fish then make a leader out of little lighter nylon string make a leader out of some smaller nylon string. i double up the leader and tie the ends together. for a weight i use 20 oz plastic coke bottels cut the top off and pour concret into them and push a heavy duty wire into them make a loop so that you can attach your line to them. for bait i perfer to use small perch 2 3 inches live or hole/dead or live shad. sometimes you will find a jug way off where it should be alot of times its either got a big striper on it or a big gar.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You might want to take a look in the library for lots of detailed info on jugfishing, but here are a few main tips.
    Just in case a big fish pulls a jug into deeper water, I won't use an anchor weight more than 1/2 the floating capacity of the jug. That way, the jug still floats in deep water. A 2-liter soda jug will float about 4#, so I use a 2# weight.
    I mainly target blues, but I do catch quite a few channels at the same time. Using shad or skipjack for bait, about 15 percent of my catch is channels; that probably goes up to 20 percent if I'm using cured chicken livers. I tried using fresh cut bream once, and caught only channels.
    I use 100# test line for my jugs, because I occasionally have to break one off, and anything stronger is difficult to break from a boat. I put 4" dropper loops where I want to be able to attach hooks. Where I'm putting a number of hooks spread out more than 6'-8' on the jugline, I attach the hooks with a trotline clip so I can easily remove them as I pull in the line. Leaving hooks on the line you've already pulled into the boat is just asking for a big fish to jerk a hook into your hand.
    When you're jugging where there are lots of snags, keep your hooks as shallow as possible, preferably where you can reach down below the hook to cut the line below the hook when it's hung up. You're almost certainly going to lose the weight anyway, and cutting the line below the hook lets you get the fish loose so you can net it.

9. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I redid the jugs today with braided nylon and the biggest,strongest swivels I could find.I dont think any catfish will break off those swivels now.

10. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    in the water that i put the jugs in there are pipes way under the water. when i tossed it out it was far away from those pipes.It could have been a gar because theres tons of em in there.

11. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I'll tell you guys tommorow how the jugs did and if they caught any fish

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Good luck man. Just curious, can you put out jugs in FL and watch them, or do they have to be secured??? I know how much fun it was to drop a dozen jugs and watch them. It's interesting to see them bob when a fish is on. We just used about 2 foot of 20 lb nylon cord with the hook tied straight to it. We used 1/2 egg weights to keep the bait down. Just tie a knot in the cord about 6 inches above the hook to keep the weight off of the bait. Like I said, not sure of FL's regs.

Ray

13. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I don't really know,i just know that my dad has always just put them out before dark and checked em in the mornin.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When freefloating jugs down the Arkansas River during the summer, I'll often hook a gar or two; they almost always run to shallow water where they try to scrape the hook loose. They're successful about 2/3 of the time. One time, a great blue heron came along, found the hooks baited with shad, and presto....I caught a big bird.

Do you ever try for the big black drum up at Fernandina?

Is the area around the north jetty at Mayport all developed now, or is it still pretty desolate around there? The last time I was there, we had to go in over a totally unimproved 'road'; actually, it wasn't much more than a set of tracks over the sand.

15. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Wish I could tell ya,but i'm not much of a saltwater fisherman.I hope to try some day.don't really know about mayport,haven't been there in a while

16. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I actually have fished brakkish water, but never caught any drum

17. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I checked the jugs this morning and had a few baits missing but no catfish or anything.This time i was usin a live bluegill and some dead ones.No hooks ripped off or anything though.

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Free floating jugs are not legal in Florida:crying: :

19. katfish hunter

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Mine are tied to trees.

20. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    do you leave your jugs unattended? ie fishing when your at home and check the rigs for fish in the subsequent days