Jugging for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisherman94580, Jul 23, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I recently saw a video on jugging and it looks like real fun. I Know you need to use a bottle like a gatorade bottle or a 2 liter and paint it orange or some other bright flourescent color. But I wanna know what kind of hooks and size to use, and if a circle hook would work well, and how long and what pound test the line shoule be? I would much appreciate and tips! Thanks

2. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for my jug lines I took Foam swim noodles and cut them into 3 lengths (18 inches each) I use heavy twisted or braided line (100 lb+). I put a big egg sinker about 2 feet above the hook. I usually use about 10-15 ft of line on every jug/noodle and just use a 2/0 hook and make sure it is very sharp. I have had milk jugs dissappear on me before and then pop up out of the water so keep a good eye on em. Good luck..........also check your states laws because there is some regulations

3. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks. Also, what are some good knots to tye aroung the tops and handles of bottles?

4. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I USE BOTH NOODLES AND BOTTLES ,I USE 168LB BRAID WITH 4/0 TRU-TURN HOOKS WORKS VERY WELL FOR ME ,I ALWAYS BAIT THEM WITH LIVE BLUEGILLS

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Aaron, I use the improved clinch knot to attach my juglines to my jugs. It's the same knot I use for everything, except for braided superline, where I use a palomar.
    For catfish, I like my hooks to be spaced every few feet from close to the bottom to close to the top. I use 100# test twisted nylon line and big eye trotline hooks. I don't like to use line heavier than that, because occasionally the line hangs up so badly that I have to break it.
    Jugfishing isn't limited to catfish (except maybe by your state). In certain situations, I've done very well jugging for crappie. A length of 10# mono, a split shot, gold crappie hook, and a minnow can provide lots of fun and some good eating. I've actually had folks in other boats stop fishing to watch us jugging for crappie because they got so excited when several jugs got to bouncing at once.

6. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    JERRY- THATS PRETTY COOL CRAPPIE ON JUGS ,I HAVE TO TRY THIS SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN ,IT IS TANGS LIKE THIS THAT ,THAT KEEPS US COMING BACK AND READING THE POSTS THANKS SO MUCH:wink::0a31:

7. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I use noodles with PVC pipe in them cap off both ends then put med.eye hooks and use trot line as my leader and a 7/0 circle hook no weight the gillheads will sink it down!!! We put them about 6ft off the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bobby, the biggest problem is determining the depth where the crappie are biting. I was brought up to believe that small minnows work better for crappie, but we did best with good sized ones. On one shallow lake we used to jug, we'd catch about 1/2 crappie, 1/4 catfish, and 1/4 largemouth bass.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Bama-cat
    Tell me about the bag of ol Roy in the background of your last pix.
    Chumming maybe?
    Also if you are fishing in current , rivers , do you use a weight? How much for those short noodles?

10. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw that Ole Roy and thought the same thing. I see you use the red bag and not the high protein. :smile2:

drd