Jugging Depths

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by madicat, Jul 23, 2008.

1. madicat

madicat New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What is the deepest you have ever set jugs?

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    35-40 ft. i like to set mine on bottom. i do float some but i prefer them stationary and on bottom. but this time of year you have to set them above the thermocline or your fish will die very quickly.

3. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    We fish lake norman a lot. Norman is a relatively deep lake hitting 80 to 90 feet of water easily in the main channels. We've made up jugs up to 30 feet long and i can count on one hand the number of fish we have caught off of jugs at this debt. We have problems with them blowing up close to flats and hitting the bottom and getting hung. The majority of fish that we have caught have been on 15 feet long jugs or less. Given all of our jugging is done in the summer months if i had one jug debt to take with me to the lake it would be a jug around 6 to 10 foot deep. We catch so many fish in this range on jugs that i cut all of my deep jugs and have them all ranging from 15 to 3 feet deep.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Madicat! My basic jugging rig has the bottom hook 12' below the surface; top hook is 3' below the surface, and 2 more between. This works just fine on the Arkansas River, and up at the nuclear power plant outlet. It also works great below Pickwick Dam, on the Tennessee River. But I tried them once on the Tennessee River below Chattanooga, where the river runs 60'-80' deep, through a canyon. We had miserable luck till I added about 40' of line between the jug and my top hook. So, I guess I'd have to say that the deepest I've ever caught a cat on a jug was about 50'.

5. Fireman4c

Fireman4c New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    So far everywere I have fished I have always had the best luck setting them no more than 3 foot. Any deeper I end up tangling up in weeds, trot lines and just dont seem to catch as many fish, Why??? I dont know lol!!
    Just all in how you like to fish!

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I am fishing my jugs. I for the most part keep them 3ft or less. AS the better fish feed on top a lot.
    But I did fish some 80ft deep in the lake a few years back in the winter time. But this was in the lake. And caught a lot of 5+ lb fish.
    Also most of the time. I have no weight when I am fishing my jugs within 5 ft of the top of the water.
    Pete

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to have my top hook 6' below the surface, but I caught so many fish on it, I added another at the 3' level. On the other hand, I've caught too many fish at the 9' and even 12' levels to even think about removing those hooks. Now, I've been thinking about jugging Lake Conway, which has an average depth of 6', and if I do, I'll make up some special jugs with only one hook, about 2' to 2 1/2' deep.

8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Jerry,
    Let me know how you do on Conway. As you have probably figured out, I fish Conway a lot. I live in Fayetteville, but visit my parents in Greers Ferry a lot and fish Conway about each trip down here.
    Last week, I fished it and noticed a lot of yo-yo's on the lake. I have seen them there for years, but these were new yo-yo's.
    good luck,
    ccat

9. mulletmann_71

mulletmann_71 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We fish alot of lakes that are from 10-120 feet deep, we set our jugg's about 4-7 ft. long and fish in the middle. Doing this we have landed 30-60 pd. cat.

10. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    At the moment most of my jugs are between 16 - 28 foot with a cpl of hooks at the bottom 5 foot.

Q

11. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    I usually jugg the AR River.The chanel is about 14' deep.I use 12' of line,one hook at the bottom and one at 6'.The bottom hooks catch 85% of the fish.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I mostly jug the Arkansas, too, and my bottom hook is also at 12'; but I caught so many fish on my 6' deep hook that I added one at 3'. I also have one at 9', just for those fish that are too lazy to swim up or down.

13. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    jerry,
    what are you baiting those jugs with in the river, shad?
    good luck,
    ccat

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For years I baited with shad because I was where they were easily available, and skipjack hard to come by. In 1990 I moved to Little Rock, about 100 miles downstream, and it's hard to get either shad or skipjack locally. Now I try to make a trip over to Pickwick (TN River) every spring and stock up on skipjack for the year. I've got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer just for skippies. That's what I mainly use for bait now.

15. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Skipjack and the Arkansas river are like bread and butter. They work well together. A good go to bait for sure. Fresh shad work ok too. But for us, the skippies rule cause we use frozen bait most often and skips hold up much better than the shad. A good bait is one that works, and is ready at a moments notice. :wink: I like angling for the bait with rod and reel more than the cast net approach. Tho a good couple throws can provide enough shad to chum the whole river for a couple hours.:smile2: And the bank for a few days.:eek:oooh: A far too common a site at popular bank fishing spots.:confused2:

16. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Madicat, I fish the kaskaskia river in IL, about 10 miles above the lock, so in the summer the current is weak and the river moves real slow. The avg. depth is 12 to 14 feet and I set my lines from 4 foot to 7 foot, lines shorter than 4 foot get too close to the bank and too close to the bank is not good for the prop, lol. I have found if you make you lines too long they get snagged more and cats that get caught on jugs seam to go to shallow water and try to roll the hook out and long line in shallow water is going to get snagged and wrapped more than shorter lines. Good luck jugging.