Jugging Cordell Hull Lake - new to catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by samiam, May 17, 2008.

1. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    planning on going jugging this next weekend on cordel hull. any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    don't know anything about jugging. Welcome to the Boc. this site if full of good info and great people

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sam We Welcome you to the BOC. I look forward to reading your post.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Sam!!!:big_smile:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    CAN'T HELP YOU THERE ,BUT I WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA, AND GOOD LUCK JUGGING:smile2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! I mostly jug rivers, but if I were going to jug a lake for the first time, I'd try to find out the type of places they're catching cats on R&R, such as points, what depth, bait, etc.

7. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks all glad to be here

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sam welcome to the BOC, sorry but I can not help you on the jugging part.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jugging is usually best during the summertime in lakes and ponds...When the temp. is high the water stratifies into layers.Most catfish during this time will suspend from the bottom and depending on the depth its usually somewhere in the middle.You can also buy a electric thermometer that you can drop in the water when the temp drops dramatically thats the depth you'll want to set your jugs..I would say if your gonna jug at night put them in shallow banks and rig 'em up about 5 to 6 feet..I like to use live bream cause they stay alive for a long time but cut-up skipjack works equally as well..I don't know much a Cordell Hull..I'm only 3 years removed from home..I'm from Louisiana and my grandfather was a commercial fisherman who did a lot of catfishing..I always loved to go jugging at night in the bay by my dads camp..I'd just anchor out where the was a ledge throw out about 15-20 jugs and fish the rod and reel while I watch my jugs..As soon as I get my boat going I'm gonna start getting to know Cordell Hull lake on a more personal level...

10. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks
    lforet2002 sounds like some good info. we will be camping at saltlick and thought we maybe able to catch a few cats. i dont really know about catfishing but will try some of your tips. where do you live you said you were going to get to know cordell hull better when your boat is running. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1046441", true);
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_1046441", true);

11. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I live in Hartsville just up the road from Carthage...Been fishing over at Bledsoe Creek..Catching mostly small channels but have caught a few 4-8 pound flatheads and tons of big ole crappie..We been catching them mostly late evening into the night..I haven't started jugging yet I gotta get my boat up and running first..Waiting on that stimilus check if ya know what I mean...

12. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i live in hartsville also and work at the steam plant. what do you usually use as bait?

13. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Well we've been fishing for crappie mainly right now but the small channels and flats are biting on my minnows...I usually use like medium size minnows..Actually I've been catching more crappie on a jig...But anyways If I'm fishing for larger cats I'm fishing with fresh cut-up skipjack..I got a fishing partner that lives close to Old Hick and he usually supplies the skipjack..We caught about 20 of them a couple weeks ago over at Bledsoe...But the past 2 weekends I've fished over there and haven't caught any..I haven't needed them anyways though cause the cats have been hitting on my minnows..Plus I can always catch a few bream to use too...My buddy caught an 8 pound flatty last weekend...He was a beaut....

14. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    how do you get skip jack or other shad? do you catch them on rod and reel or cast net?

15. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Usually we catch them with a white or chartruese jig(grub with a twister tale) with a 1/16 or 1/8 jig head..My partner usually catches them below Old Hick dam..The skipjack will also take minnows under a cork set about 14-16 inches deep..And as far a minnows I get them at the baitshop..Sometimes I'll use the cast net if I spot some shad on top the water..