Juggin Oologah

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudcreeker, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    I'm planning on doin some jugging on Oologah here over the next couple of weeks. I know some people aren't a big fan of juglines... but dang it, I'm hungry and haven't been that successful on the rod and reel lately! Has anyone ever jugged Oologah much? Not sure on where I am planning to go, was thinking bout over at Talala Creek area. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions?

2. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    Have done well with jugs 20' to 30' deep over channel drifting across edge onto a 30' flat during the day and across 15' flat drifting towards the bank at night around Goose Island. Haven't done much on the big "O" for a year now but have been thinking of going myself. Lots of flats of off the main channel north of Winganon Bridge, travel at your own risk anywhere north of the bridge.

3. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Is it pretty stumpy north of the bridge? Hadn't been up that way any, just got a boat so I don't know the lake well.

4. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I went to oolagah this morning at 5 am. i i failed to catch enough bait to even attempt too fish :angry:i reckon next time i will bring me some bluegill or black perch with me and i wont make a dry run:big_smile:

Bill.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Hey guys,
    We've jugged on Oolagah the past two years. Launching my lil boat from the Veta Point ramp north east of Talala. So far this year we set lines from the ramp back to the west while the lake was UP. Did very well using shrimp, goldfish and shad.
    Last year we set lines at the opening of that cove to the lake and did pretty good every time. Also with shrimp, shad and goldfish.
    I'm about sold on using the shrimp for catching eatin size channels and blues. The shad for bigger blues and live bait for the flatties.
    I set my lines anywhere from 4' to about 28' and caught fish in all of them.

If you've got any questions, drop me a line, I'll help any way I can.

Q

6. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    north of Winganon Bridge, travel at your own risk anywhere north of the bridge.[/QUOTE]

what's north of the bridge?

7. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Tree stumps, shallow points

8. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Lynn,
    I haven't been up there but from topo maps and others descriptions there are a lot of stumps, logs and shallow points...... but then that makes for good cat habitat I think.

Q

9. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    many stumps, logs, shallow points, and some of you may not know this but there is a hi-way in the lake. Old buildings metal pipes. The hi-way will show its self when the water is loooow but it is there and I walked it a good ways when I was duck hunting up there one year.
    Get by that and there is good catfishing if you know where to go.

10. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Apparently I need to go north of the bridge then or something... baited 10 jugs with $30 worth of perch and crawdads and didn't catch one damn fish! Caught a big ol turtle, but he wasn't fit to eat. I didn't go too far from Talala Creek, set up in 10'-25' of water. Kind of a bummer... I'm going to have to quit takin the ol lady with me I think, every time she goes I don't catch fish. I catch plenty of sh1t from her though! :)

11. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Don't quit taking your wife, she's the best fishing buddy you could ever have. :big_smile:

12. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    We set out jugs this evening on the lake,,,,, nuttin nuttin nuttin! Hope maybe we'll have something first thing in the morning.

:)

Q

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    good luck! Hope you catch a bunch. Wish I was going with you but I have to work. Watch out for the drunks this weekend

14. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Ended up with one blue and one flat about 4 lbs each. Lost two blues/channel right at the boat. Oh ya and one turtle!

Q

15. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Sounds about like my weekend. I set out jugs Friday night, caught one flat about 5 lbs and a channel. But I did catch a turtle that was about the size of the wheel on my truck! I just knew I had a good fish on there... but nothing but a stinking, hissing turtle...grrrrr. I've got to improve my cast net skills so I can start catching bait and not blowing $30 on goldfish and perch. That's a lot of $ for a couple of fish and a turtle!

16. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    We fished 7-2-09 at night. from 11:30 till 3:00 am when the thunderboomers were getting close. caught 4 keepers 2 blues and 2 channels biggest was 8-10lbs. 10 gar ranging from 5lbs to 20 lbs and snagged a spoonbill around 30lbs. We chummed and it took about 4 hours for them to really show up. We had 2 green lights out and one white floating light. When we shut them off it was fish on time for about an hour from 2-3am. We were north of the bridge and we only fish with rod and reel.

We only use shad for bait and we keep them alive until we cut them and bait the hook. our chum is corn and shad this can be frozen or cured with the corn for about a week
    we also threw some liver in the water around the boat.

17. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    A buddy and me stuck to the Caney Sunday afternoon to get these on the pole.
    You can see the photos on the River page under Caney River

18. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I dont mean to be sarcastic or anything but cast nets come with directions an its the nature of men to throw them away. I could always show you though sometimes it works better that way. i always catch shad I never buy bait. You can learn how to throw them nets an make them open up every time. an learn how to not throw tacos.

19. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Go to Google or Dogpile and type "how to throw a cast net". You will be amazed at the different methods people use....and all of them effective. Find the one that suits your style, and practice, practice, practice in the back yard until you are fairly consistent.

20. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I did check that out about throwing the cast net one site showed three different ways but their all the same they just showed different ways of grabbing different kinds of nets before you throw.