juggin behind truman dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mosscat, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mosscat

mosscat New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Hello I'm plaining to come to warsaw the end of july to jug fish and maybe set bank poles or lime lines. fishing for blues and flats. I plain to fish above the hwy 6 bridge up to the shoot coming out of the dam. Can someone tell me the best way to rig my jugs and the best thing to bait with. Can someone tell me about bank poles or lime line rigs live or cut bait. THANKS.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Carey. There is a post concerning a gathering in April at the state park on Truman. Surely some of these folks can point ya in the right direction. Never been on truman but i'll be at the gathering an hope to see you there also.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    welcome to the b.o.c. mosscat. im a little far north to help you just wanted to welcome you on your first post. there should be someone in the area to give some advise.

help him out mo fellas. and lets not play the usual game with this one. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!:angry:

as far as bait goes. i would suggest live bluegills baby carp for flatheads on those lines and cut skipjack for the jugs for those blues.

4. mosscat

mosscat New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Thank for the welcome.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Carey!

I take it you mean Hwy 65 bridge? up to the dam?
    That is located below Truman dam on Lake of the Ozarks. If so it is illegal to run jugs, trout lines or limb lines above the 65 bridge to the dam.

You can run them below the 65 bridge though. Shad, cut or live will be your best bet and live perch for flatheads. We have a Missouri BOC gathering in May at Truman state park if you can make it. Hope that helps, welcome again !!! I live 5 miles from the dam, let me know when your coming and I will try to point ya in the right direction if I can....

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome from Ohio Carey!!!:big_smile: rollo

7. mosscat

mosscat New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Yes I mean 65 sorry about that. Thank spoonfish for the info that thats a good start.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Forgot to add:
    You can rod and reel fish above the 65 bridge up to the dam Carey and it is very good especially that time of the year.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Troy , the gathering in May at Truman, is that going to be down at the outlet , or up on the lake?

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
  11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Carey! I can't offer any help on those waters; they are out of my 'comfort zone'. But if you ever get down to central Arkansas to fish the Arkansas River, let me know, and I'll try to point you to some good jugging spots.

12. mosscat

mosscat New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Thanks for the reply jtrew. How do you setup your jugs line size, line depth, swivels, hook size, bait etc. down in your neck of the woods.THANKS

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome, I think you should be good to go that time of year.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I much prefer to jug flowing waters rather than still waters; I just seem to catch a lot more fish that way. On small and/or still waters, you can use foam noodles, but when you let them loose on a big river, they just don't have enough visibility for me to see them at a long distance, so I use 2-liter soda jugs painted bright yellow. I put 3 or 4 ounces of clean gravel, scrap lead, etc. inside each jug so that when I get a hit, the weights slide down into the neck of the jug and keep it in a 'flagged' position. I cut a 3/4" slice off the end of a swimming pool noodle, make the hole large enough to accept the soda jug cap, and glue it onto the cap. This provides a place to stick my hooks for storage. I want my juglines to be long enough to almost reach the bottom; too long, and you hang up too much; too short, and you'll miss some fish. Then I put droppers every 3' up to within 3' of the surface. For the waters I normally fish, that means the bottom hook is 12' below the surface; the sinker is about a foot or so below that. I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight because it's cheap and won't hang up as often as a regular lead weight. On the Arkansas River, fresh shad or skipjack will be the best producer 98% of the time, so I use skipjack. Fresh skipjack is hard to come by, so it's usually frozen; shad freezes so poorly I won't give it room in the freezer. When you get a fish on and grab the jug, don't hold it tightly. Often, the fish are very lightly hooked, and if it can get a good solid pull, the fish will sometimes come off. If the fish makes a run, let the jug go and chase it down again. Use a big net on any fish you really want in the boat, because they sometimes fall off while lifting them into the boat.