Jug Lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by UPWIND, Jun 28, 2008.

1. UPWIND

UPWIND New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    RE-Bar--Is it necessary to put the re-bar inside the pvc or can you just tie your string at the bottom. Kind of like the store bought ones. They are not weighted and are still designed to set upright when there is a fish on.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Darrell! If you leave out the weight, the jug will only be tipped when the fish is pulling on it; and if you get a bite that steals the bait, it will probably only tip for a couple of seconds. You'd be surprised at how many cats pull on the jug at first, say for half a minute or a minute, then calmly swim along under the jug, still hooked, but not pulling. Before I learned about flagging jugs, I'd have to run my boat near each jug every 20 or 30 minutes, just to find those jugs that weren't tipped up but had fish.

3. UPWIND

UPWIND New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    First of all thanks for the repley---Should the weight be 1/2 the size of the pvc?

4. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    jtrew is right, alot of time the fish will just be laying there and not moving so it is better to have the rebar inside. I have pulled along side of flagged jugs and think there is nothing on it then when i go to grab it it starts to run. 6 inches of 3/8" rebar is big enough to do the job for 1/2 pvc. Whatever you use for your weight inside of the pvc needs to be able to slide easily and have enough weight to tip the jug. Do a little experimenting with this before glueing the caps use duct tape to hold the cap on until you get it right then glue it. Rebar is inexpensive and usually thrown away at construction sites. Ask before you take and they will usuallly tell you to take all you want because its going to the dump anyway. If not there they sell it at any hardware store.

5. UPWIND

UPWIND New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks L-Bill! Just what I needed to know!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Darrell, you may have to experiment a little to find out the right amount of weight. I use about 2 or 3 ounces in my 2-liter soda jugs. It boils down to how much it takes to keep your jug in a tipped, or 'flagged' position, which is a function of the amount of weight used, and the length, diameter, and weight of the pvc. For instance, if you're using a foam noodle with the pvc sticking out of the bottom about 12", that extra 12" provides leverage allowing a lighter weight to be used than would be the case if the pvc ended at the bottom end of the foam noodle.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I run 4 ounces ( two 2 ounce bank sinkers) in my pvc jugs. Don't know if thats right or not, but that is the way it is... LOL. Sure flags them pretty.

8. kevinmays

kevinmays New Member

State:
    tn
    i have 1inch dia pvc noodle jugs.

i put a 5 inch piece of 3/4 dia steel in my jugs.

i can remember catching only 1 fish that didnt flag the jug and it was a 7-8 lb flathead in really skinny water. the jug had floated to the back of a cove.

if i set 30 jugs usually 4-6 will have the bait stolen. i guess its gar. i catch atleast 1 gar every set. its nice to know the jug needs to be rebaited without having to check each jug.

you wont regret using the rebar or some other counter weight. i wouldnt waste my time without it.

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Never have used weight in our noodles. We like to know that the fish is still on there. Using chicken heart they rarely steal the bait.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Robert, you may have different experiences with it, but I've found that jugging the Arkansas River, about a quarter of the fish I catch quit pulling on the jug before I retrieve it. Of course, when I get near the jug with the boat, they start pulling again.