Jug lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Stick269, May 29, 2008.

1. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I just put together four to use this year. Was wondering exactly how deep the hooks should be on it? I've got two hooks on them, one at a foot from the bottom and the other about five foot from the bottom. Does that sound about right?

2. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You should check out the post from slabmaster, I fished with him a couple of weeks ago and we did really good. He sets his hooks about every 5 feet on a 25 foot main line. starting about 1 foot off the bottom.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I beleive the rules state 5 hooks max...
    I jest evenly space the hooks.. and the weights are old connecting rods..
    Not many use them for weights..so if i catch you with my connecting rods:wink:

4. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the tips guys...

5. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Lonnie84 do you have a link to his tread?

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Mike, that should work....that's what i do, but i use 3 hooks....just got my boat running so i will let you know in a couple of weeks if they are biting:wink:

7. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am no expert. I fish jugs from June to October, then I will hunt them big wintertime fish. I target 25 tio 30 foot water then when I find them I go big time.
    Jugs carry one hook every 6 ft. bottom hook is 3 feet from the turtles. You need to fish and hunt your local waters. GOOD LUCK

Mrwhiskrs

8. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we fished with jugs last week end, we caught 9 keepers , had the jugs set at three feet.. the lenght depends upon what depth of water you are fishing. i know here the fish are in shallow water.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hook depth will vary according to conditions. Sometimes they are on the bottom, sometimes they are suspended in the water column. If they are suspended at 3 feet from the surface, and you set you hooks at 25 feet, your not gonna catch many fish. Normally you'd put out a few jugs with the hooks spaced throughout the water column. Then if your catching them at 8', set all your jugs to that depth. It is a constantly changing scenario, and you have to change with it.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    about now i bet you would catch more fish shallow than you will deep. i would probably drop a couple of jugs in the channel with multiple hooks but i would concentrate on shallow flats. on ft.gibson for instance there are several places where there are large flats about 4 to 5 ft deep when the water is normal. take a jug with about 3 1/2 ft drop to the hook and bait it with a whole shad then let it free drift across the flats with no weight. you will have a shot at catching fish that have already spawned, fish that are going in to spawn and fish that are coming out of the channel feeding up on the flats. the post awshucks made is very good advice. hope this helps.

11. dusty_allen

dusty_allen New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sounds like good info to me