Jug lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by capnmorgan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was riding the lake Sat and I notice on at least every bank had a few old jug lines that had washed on shore and where hung in trees. Our lake is about 9 feet low. So the jugs I saw have been there a while and were quite the eye sore. I have been wanting to make a few more jugs to add to my set and had a brainstorm. with all the abandoned jugs on the bank do you think its wrong to use bottles you find washed up on the banks. I also worry about people getting the wrong idea about jug liners so I think it is a win win situation. All that trash can't be good for the sport. If you do find a jug with a label on it I wonder if the post office would return it if you stuck a stamp on it? I think it would be neat to get a long lost jug in the mail. I would never dream of messing with a floating jug with a current date. So please don't get the wrong idea of me. What is your opinion

Later
    Dave

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If the jug isn't marked properly or is out of date, go for it. I've a small collection of jugs I've found that either had no name or were washed up somewhere and were several months out of date. Haven't used them yet, but I'm considering it.

4. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Good ideas ya got Dave. Only problem with reusing someone elses jug, is if theirs are unique and can be told apart from everyone elses. They may not think you are running one they lost, but instead, one that they just threw out. That could be a bad situation for sure.

I do a good bit of jug fishing on the river. I've picked up a lot of old jugs and have lost a few myself. They are a major eye sore and give us a bad rep. If the hooks or weights are still good, I will remove them and keep. But I always throw the old jugs away. Don't want no conflicts on the water. But I sure try to help keep it clean.

Good luck!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I must always be the one who is overly cautious. I think I'd check with my state wildlife dept, describe the condition, and see what they say. A jug 50' out of the water may still be illegal for you to pick up. Common sense says it would be okay, but how many state agencies work with common sense?

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If its out of the water and has no name or date, its trash.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    give a hoot dont pollute.

id collect them, paint em up if needed and use them. if theres a tag then give em to the warden to deal with. the owner should have been monitoring them in the first place.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've requested clarification from Parks and Wildlife.

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure in Texas that even if it's out of date the line is still private property. I Hate to see all that crap hanging in the water too!! I went up to Livingston while it was low due to the dam damage and it was terrible! Man I mean old green slimed lines everywhere! I thought about loading up the boat with old lines and going home but I got into the fish and decided to just haul the blue cat's home instead! lol I wish that everyone would just take home what they brought but if you drive up and down our beautiful Texas roads you will see very quickley that alot of folk don't give a crap. Excuse my language! I know that if it's out of date you should be able to cut it and haul it off but I'm pretty sure you can't. The game wardens have to do it. I've seen our local warden with a boat load of lines thatr were out of date that he was cleaning up. He just puts it in the trash at the ramp. Then I'm pretty sure it's free game then if you want to dig it out of there. If I'm wrong on that let me know and I'll change how I handle it when I find a old line. Never hurts to have a few extre swivels! lol

10. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll try and check into it tomorrow

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I emailed TPWD and the response was that even if out of date, the lines are the property of another. Like crab traps in salt water, only the owner or enforcement may remove them legally. Of course, if they are abandoned, I'm not sure there would be a problem, but that's up to the individual. I know if you wait for a game warden to act on a trot or jug line complaint, you may have to wait a long time. Those guys are overworked as it is.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I will agree with the wardens being over worked. But imo, if you knowingly set yourself up to break the law to remove these types jugs, you may as well go for all the jugs. The law is the law. Every complaint I have forwarded to the state agency has pretty much been resolved within a week. The wardens do respond. Of course, they are not going to worry about a jug the first day of deer season or when any violation occurs with the use of a firearm. LOL

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Check the "Black's Law Dictionary" for abandoned property.
    I believe it states that if it is discarded for over a certian period of time, in a public place, then it becomes abandoned property.

The game wardens are going to give you the safe answer and tell you that it is someone elses property. If the tag has faded to the point where u cant read the name, and it is obvious that it has been in water for awhile, i would remove it and trash it. If the hooks are still good then it hasn't been in the water long enuff for me to cosider it trash.

This is just my opinion and what i would do. I love to jug fish and I try to remove all the trash from my areas. I hate to make our sport look bad so i will clean up after some of the folks who either lost their jugs or lost interest in them.

Trotlines and limb lines that i find that all the hooks have either rusted off or are out of water because of declining water levels i cut and trash.

I'm not saying that everyone should do this, i'm not even saying that its legal, but IMO its the right thing to do.

If the name of the jugger and address of the jugger is on the jug u can always look up in phone book and ask them if they would like their jug back, or ask them if they want it removed.

Just some ideas.

14. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    My name/adr/ph nbr is on all my jugs as well as being redated every 30 days or so. No matter how one tries events will conspire to cause you not to recover all your jugs. It is very nice to get a phone call now and then and someone tells me they found one of my jugs. I ask which marina they want to leave it at and am profuse in thanking them for taking the time. Beside, everytime I lose a jug my first thought is that a 40 - 50 pounder took it under and wrapped it around a limb or log (better alternative than suspecting the probable theft of the jug and the fish that was towing it). Two years ago I found one of my own jugs more than a mile from where I usually fish - it was snagged on something and leader broke off when I forced it but the line had long tendrils of algae and the jug was pretty much shot, but I was really surprised that it had been out there for several months with no one salvaging it. Most of the juggers on Lake Houston use some pretty costly materials to construct their personalized jugs (the closed cell foam on mine cost $08. per ft then all the terminal gear and reflective tape). Some others around here are even more intricate and use tubes with ball bearing in them that serve like an icefishing tip-up. They can get somewhat pricey. I know all are happy to get them back.

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have pretty much quit jugs unless I am looking at them. Around here they usually have the hooks cut off if they are left overnight. The fact that they are legal makes little difference. It is probably just a few bad apples, but they stay on the lake alot. I hide my lines. I don't mess with others lines, but it is a real problem. I file charges if I see anyone touching my stuff. As far as an old jug on the shore, I think anyone can tell if it is old, if it is, I don't have a problem with someone picking it up.

Jim

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn Jim, your jugs may have ran afoul of some of the members on this board.

17. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    from what ive been told by a local warden, if the jug is out of date, and it is apparent that it either lost or abandoned, you can remove it from the water. your not using someones current equipment, your removing trash. you start leaving lines hanging from trees, or floating so long youve got algae growing on them, and our lakes and rivers would really be looking like a drainage ditch in downtown houston. i like your ideas and use most of them myself

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You want to be careful about taking someone"s trotline out just because it's got a bunch of alge on it. Back when I was fishing every day, during the sumer, I'd put in a trotline in June and leave it till September or October. I ran my lines every day, but the lines would get heavily coated with alge, and even zebra mussells.

19. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree jtrew, and i only mean, with a little common sense, you can tell if a jug or trot line is abandoned. while fishing in west texas trolling for white bass, the man i was with told me, " watch this area, ive been trolling it for 4 years and get hung on a trotline almost every pass". sure enough, first pass through we hit it, after pulling the line to the surface, all the hooks were either gone or rusted beyond use. not to mention the dozen or so lures on the line. it was apparent no one had run this line in a looooooong time. it was pulled up and taken to the nearest trash can. i think what had happend was the person who set this line forgot exactly where it was, because it sunk to the bottom on one end by a five gallon bucket full of sand, and tied to a tree trunk a foot below the surface in the middle of a virtual jungle. this line needed to be removed before it was hung in a deep traveling lower unit, and was only removed because there was no doubt that no one was using it

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A big weighted treble hook (grappel hook) or even a gaff can sometimes be a big help locating a trotline that's been lost or cut.