Jug lines? - Where can you find white noodles?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jstall, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Where can you get white floaties? You know the floaties they sell at Wal Mart, green,red ect. Where can you find white? I made up some jug lines using those but I can not get white paint to hold on them.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    never seen white noodles ive seen jugs already riged that where made from white foam at walmart. maybe try white duck tape prob would stay on long. i just use white antifreeze jugs fill them with a little great stuff (spray insulation) and they will last a long time

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    We just bleach bottles...molded white plastic...no need to paint.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have seen posts from people who had access to white foam noodles, but since I'm not interested in white or foam, I can't tell you where you can buy them. I use 2-liter soda jugs spray painted yellow on the outside with $.97 a can spray paint from Wal Mart. With care, each can will paint about 20 jugs. I don't do any kind of special treatment before painting, and have very little trouble with flaking. Some people prefer to pour paint inside the jugs and shake it around to coat the inside, but I put gravel or other weights inside the jugs to make them stay in a tipped position after a bite, so that doesn't work well for me.

5. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    A Friend Of Mine Is Always Trying To Get Me To Jug Fish With Him. He Claims That Sitting On The Bank Is For Lazy Men. Well To Each His Own I Say. He Actually Does Quite Well With His Style Of Juggin. He Uses 2 Liter Bottles Also. But He Paints Them On The Inside, With Safety Yellow Like They Use In Some Construction Signs. After They Dry Out, He Fills Them With Some Spray Foam Sealer From The Local Lowes Home Improvement Store And Then Silicones The Cap On. This Is What Someone Had Passed On To Him Years Ago When Some States Banned Bleach Jugs From Being Used Because It Was Posible To Contaminate The Water. He Said That Was The Most Effective Jug He Has Used Today While Keeping The Envirnoment In Mind First.

6. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Have you tryed the new fusion spray paint it's supposed to stick to plastic better. In Texas you can jug fish and it can be a blast but for non comercial fisherman the jug's must be white.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    http://www.fitness1st.com/Water-Aerobics.html

That is one place you can get them in WHITE. 10.95 for 1 though, kinda pricy

Try doing a search on google for white water noodles
    or white floatation foam.

8. thomassmith1994

thomassmith1994 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have ya'll heard of redneck jug lines. I hear they are pretty cool and if there is a fish on the float will flag. If not it will lay flat. You can also eliminate the flagging if you are worried about other people stealing your fish.

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I bought some from this place.http://www.fitnesswholesale.com/cplogd.htm
    Shipping on a dozen runs $30 making a dozen cost $100. These Noodles don't have a hole in the center. There are some fishing noodles avaliable at some Wal Marts see attachments. These cost $2.34 ea. They have a center steel rod with a handle on one end and a loop to attach rigging to on the other. They have a colored plastic cap on the handle end.These work great as is. I have heard that some sporting good stores in the Dallas area have white noodles also that some Dollar stores have them. I have not been able to to confirm this or to find them. Bleach Bottles are the cheapest way to go even if you have to waste the bleach. I have a friend that owns a small water system that uses bleach in the chlorination system. He furnishes several friends with their jugs.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are certainly lots of different things that can be used to make up jugs. I've seen coffee cans soldered together, foam of various types, plastic jugs specially molded with a yo-yo inside, and at least a dozen different types of 'recycled' plastic jugs. I even knew a fellow who used empty freon cans for his jugs. It can be difficult to figure out what will suit you, and your method of jugging, the best.
    Some folks do all their jugging on still, protectected waters like large coves, small lakes & ponds, or backwaters. Even if they're not anchored, their jugs won't move around much, so visibility at a long distance isn't important. I generally put my jugs into the current of the Arkansas River; if a jug is within 50 yards of my boat, I feel that I'm right on top of it. Even just looking across the river at a jug means that it's over half mile away; and they can be scattered by the current for a mile or more up and down the river. Anything smaller than a 2-liter soda jug is just too small for me to be able to see it well enough, even with 10x binoculars. I've fished the Mississippi River, but I've never jugged it. I can see where a gallon sized jug might be necessary there.
    Some folks like their jugs to 'flag', while others don't--matter of choice. Since I may not have my eyes on a jug when a fish gets on it, I prefer to have the jug stay in the flagged position, even if it quits pulling on the jug. I put about 3 ounces of small clean gravel, small tire weights, lead scraps, etc. inside each of my soda jugs. When the fish hits, the jug tips on end, the weights slide down into the neck of the jug, and that keeps it in a flagged position. If you use a foam noodle with a hole down the center, run a piece of pvc through that hole, letting the pipe stick out the top end a few inches, and out the bottom a foot or so. Put the weights inside the pipe, then put caps on each end of the pipe. Because I put the weights inside my jugs, painting the inside of the jugs just won't work for me; I buy $.97 cans of yellow spray paint at Wal Mart and paint the outside of the jugs. I experimented with a number of different colors, and found that yellow works best for me. I know white is required in Texas, but it tends to get lost in the glare and whitecaps; black can be seen the furtherest, but is too difficult to tell it from stumps. Even orange doesn't work as well as yellow in low light. The only color I found that worked as well as yellow was fluorescent green, which had to be applied over a base of white. It cost 5 or 6 times as much as the yellow, and only worked 'as well'---not 'better'.
    I'm experimenting now with a 1" piece of swimming pool noodle fitted over the cap, with a 2 ounce sinker glued to the cap. In theory, the foam might interfere with the flagging of the jug, so I added the sinker to offset the foam's floatation. The foam ring will allow me to stick my hooks into it for storage. My freefloating jugs only have 3 hooks each. My anchored jugs have a dropper every 3' so I can attach as many hooks as I want, wherever I want them. I attach the hooks with trotline clips, which makes attaching and removing very easy. I don't want to have a bunch of line laying in the boat with hooks attached--if a big cat makes a sudden run, it could jerk those hooks right into me.
    Incidentally, I use a 16p or 20p nail on the bottom of the jugline for a weight on my freefloating jugs. I only use a weight equal to half the floatation capability of my jug for my anchored jugs, just in case a big cat drags it to deeper water. That means a 2# weight for my 2-liter jugs.

11. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Jstall:

Funding white Noodles that a guy can afford is pretty tough. We use quite a few noodles in product that we make and right now I am having a tough time finding any color locally. No place here has them now. Online these place want an arm and a leg for them, If anyone sees any yellow ones with the 1/2 inch hole in them give me a yell.

We make a product called the JugMaker that work Awesome for jugfishing. Gheck it out at:

http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/Main.html

Good luck and Welcome to the BOC;

Gene
    Maine-Wolf Products

12. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    There is a place in Houston and Dallas where you can buy the white foam not much more than a colored noodle from walmart, SSI is the name of the place I will get a an addy and number later.
    We make the white jugs and sell them but would rather you make them i will post the instructions on how to make them later.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Haven't looked at the TPWD regs concerning jugs and trotline floats in a while, but doesn't read that you have to have a white "gear tag", not that the float has to be all white?

14. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Each float has to be white, I use duck tape for the gear tags, I heard a lake rumer that the their's a ticket for each float. 100 floats at $100.00 each is real scarry! I don't thinck the judge would go for that though?

15. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    S.S.I. in Houston Tx has all the white foam anyone needs,they have the 2 1/2 " and the 3 " The 2 1/2"is .54 cents a foot and is sold in 6' stick for $3.24 plus tax , no center hole, you'll have to drill ur own, the 3" foam is .81 cents a ft or $4.86 for a 6'stick. You can call them at 713 862 -3900 or go by at 2211 Sabine St.
    Remember you heard it first here where all information is free, we can sell you the juggs or we'll show you how to make them or at times even give you the jugs!!!
    __________ :p

16. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Jugline:
    For use in FRESH WATER only. A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.
    May be used to take NONGAME fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.
    Placement and Location Restrictions: Juglines may not be used in

Tagging and Marking Requirements:
    Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 30 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
    For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a White free-floating device.
    For commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with an orange, free-floating device.

That quote came from page 31 of the 2005-2006 TPWD Hunting and Fishing regulations;

Depending on the law enforcement agency in your area they should be white ,I know a few Texas State Game Wardens that live by the the BOOK . I would not put them to the test.

17. Catfishroberto

Catfishroberto New Member

State:
    Texas
    Texas law reads :For non-commercial purposes,a gugline must be marked with a white freefloating device. So why can't you use any color you want and mark it with a white piece of floatation that has your name on it.

18. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    If you use any color you want, then they won't be "white"as the law says .I would ask the local law enforcement authorities that question.
    On some of our colored jugs we would take some white duct tape and put two stripes on the top and that would be our white floatation device , the Lake Patrol along with the the local game wardens were ok with it..Soon as i can I'll post some of out jugs.

19. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Thanks for all the great information.

20. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    something I think I read in the libary was to use a piece of waterprof medical tape for the date, so you can remove and replace