Jug lines made from "noodles"?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KYTRAPPER, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Im thinking of making some new jugs out of the "fun-noodles" for the float. How do you attach the line to the noodle. I have a couple of ideas but i would like to hear your thoughts.

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

3. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Before I made my jugs I searched the internet and the best plans are right here in the BOC Library...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38722

With this plan you run PVC pipe through the noodle and then attach the line to a screw eye in the PVC. This is a much better idea than trying to attach directly to the noodle.

When you are in the boat pulling one way and a big fish is pulling (and spinning) the other way its very nice to have the PVC to hang on to. It is very time consuming to tie all the knots in the line as he suggests (double set every 3 ft). However, when you are in the boat and wanting to set the proper depth you will be glad you did. If you have any other questions please ask but I followed Ryno's plans and I could not be happier.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's some pics of some that I made from plans tht I found. I don't know if they are on here, but they have a copyright, so I can't disclose exact dimensions. There is a 2" piece of re-bar inside to make it "flag" when a fish is on. Works pretty good. An alternative is to just run a piece of pvc pipe through the center, and run your string through that.

Attached Files:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Before you jump right in and build yourself a set of jugs, do some thinking about what type of jugging you're going to be doing, and the waters where you'll be jugging. Noodles make some really neat jugs, and the pvc pipe running down the center can be loaded with a few ounces of scrap lead or gravel to keep the jug in a 'flagged' position after a bite. They're small, which means that they don't take up much room in the boat; but it also means that it's really hard to see them at any great distance. I've jugged small lakes & large coves where noodles would work great, but I mostly jug on the Arkansas River where my jugs get scattered up and down the river for a mile, and from one side of the river to the other, where the river may be well over half a mile wide. I just can't see noodles at those kinds of distances, so I use 2-liter soda jugs painted a bright color, usually yellow. A few ounces of gravel or lead scraps inside make these jugs stay in a flagged position after a bite, just like the foam noodles. It's important to have this feature in a jug, because after getting hooked, a catfish will often just swim along under the jug without fighting it at all. If the jug doesn't stay in the flagged position, you don't have a clue that there's a fish on it.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Instead of using rebar... you can also use a couple of marbles in the PVC... serves the same purpose...

What i like doing w/ my jugs is having the PVC glued into the noodle and have the line run through the PVC w/ a "handle" on the other side made out of a 4 inch piece of what ever 3/4 inch thick/round wood i have laying around... I attach the line in the middle of it and it allows for Depth changes, as well as having something to grab on to when you get the jug in...

<__o-----------====== ---I
    hook.....Line.....Jug........."handle"

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The problem with using something like marbles is that they roll so easily that wave action can cause the jug to 'flag' when there's no bite. Small gravel, small wheel weights, etc. slide easily, but not so much that wave action will slide them to the end & cause the jug to flag. Sand works well as long as it's dry, but if it gets wet, it doesn't want to move so easily.

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i just glued a piece of wood dowl into the bottom of mine then screwed in a eye and tied on the line.as for the flag my experance(not much) is when theres a fish on it will stand up then lay down,back and forth.i like to use the "monster noodles" from wal-mart.

9. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    I run a coathanger wire half way thur it about 2 inches from the end then drop a swivel down the opening with a leader about 1 foot long already hooked to it,then push the wire the rest of the way thur and leave apox 1 inch of wire on each end and bend them down and then wrap a little duct tape around it,I use reflector tape on the ones I run at night.I can get 3 juglines from each noodle,the swivel and leader,could be done with a good knot,I starting using a long leader(heavy line) because last year the gar started hitting the noodles and cutting the line

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC roger.

just wondering what a meat processor supervisor uses for bait.

11. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    shad is what I use but have used turkey blood,liver,and most every thing that comes from a turkey lol
    We used dove,pheasant,rabbit and deer meat when my freezer went out a few years back. :confused2: alot of channel about it nothing very big

12. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I jug at night there easy to see from about 1/2 mile away if you use automotive reflective tape like i use on mine shine ur spot light and u can see them from a mile!!! hope this helps

:0a26: :0a22: :0a23: :0a24:

Attached Files: