Jug lines: how much weight?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by knapperheadmatt, May 23, 2006.

1. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    how much weight would be used on a small jug set to about 10' in a moderate wind to slow down the drift?
    matt

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I don't believe you'll be able to slow the drift with weight. Not significantly anyway. If you want to slow the drift, use a float that provides the least amount of wind resistance. Most jugs I have seen use two ounces or less weight on the dropper. I use large flat washers on my jugs. They probably don't weigh an ounce. I use pool noodles cut to about 18 inches as jugs and have been happy with them. Good luck!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Drop the line down so the weight gently drags on the bottom. You may get some hangups this way, but, it would be the only way I know of to slow it down.

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering ..... could we make a mini drift sock?

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    That's an interesting idea! Maybe worth some experimentation! That's what's so cool about this site...people who think about better or different ways of doing things! Cool....:0a24:

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is missouri if you want to leave them out at nite when you arnt watchin them they have to be anchored. I do this even during the day
    all i did was cut the tops off of soda cans and filled with concrete and let dry with something to be able to tie it on. works for me
    you can fish anywhere in the water you want bottom or top.
    i have been fishing a 10 ft flat with 3 hooks 1 bottom 1 top and 1 middle,
    i am new to jugging as well so there is better ideas im sure

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use 2-liter soda jugs; I put about 2 ounces of gravel, sinkers, or small pieces of scrap lead inside each jug. That greatly slows down the speed at which the wind can blow the jug around; also, when a fish bites and tips the jug, the weights slide down into the neck of the jug keeping it in a flagged position, even if the fish isn't pulling. I don't use sand because if it gets wet, it doesn't slide very well.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When I use a weight on a jug it is usually because of current, that keeps the bait down. I use weights off throw nets. They have a large hole in them and are abought right for the current.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, just like most times fishing with rod & reel, you'll do best using the minimum weight necessary, at least for freefloating jugs. If you're jugging on a lake, you could probably get by with one or two large splitshots; on a river like the Arkansas, where I mostly jug, a 16p or 20p nail works great; but on the Mississippi, with its huge boils, you'd probably need at least an ounce. I think a certain amount of flairing when the line hits a boil or swirl is ok, but you don't want the line to come all the way to the surface, or come back on itself enough to tangle.

10. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    I have a trot line clip on the end of my juglines. I took 16 oz moutain dew plastic bottles cut the tops off and filled them just a little below the top with concrete. Cut some coat hangers for loops and your done. The plastic bottles work great they dont scratch the boat when you pull them in.

11. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a mold that makes 1 pound submarine shaped sinkers.

If the jug is moving, there is a fish on it!!!

Robert

12. RivCat

RivCat New Member

State:
    illinois
    I usually put a little bit of water in the jug, just enough to help weigh it down, its still gonna drift, but the sleight weight helps.