Jug Line slack?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bubbatn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How much slack do you guys leave on your anchored jugs? Or do you leave any? Should the "jug" be pretty well tight against the water with the anchor on the bottom, or should I leave some play in the line?

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We are not allowed to jug in Iowa for some strange reason but we can use bank poles and since we stop having in slack our catch has tripled. I would venture to say probably be same for jugs.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just be aware that if you don't have slack, and your weight is small enough that it doesn't sink your jug, it's possible for wave action to gradually move the weight, possibly to deeper water, where it's no longer considered anchored. And if you use a heavier weight and a catfish big enough to move it comes along, it may drag it to deeper water, where it will sink out of sight. Personally, I use 2-liter jugs and 2# weights. The jugs will float 4#, so I don't have to worry about them sinking out of sight.

4. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok, So will it hurt to leave slack in the line? I mean does it hinder the hook setting in the fish?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, you'll still catch fish. The only thing I may be concerned about would be using circle hooks. The quicker you get a load on, the quicker the hook should set. And if you don't get a load, you probably will not get a hook set.

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I use flagging jugs so I like about 3' of slack to keep the from flagging prematurely when boats go by or there are a lot of waves.

7. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Alright, Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate the help.

I was just wanting to make sure that leaving some slack wouldnt hinder the hookset or anything. Trying to make sure i'm getting "the basics" right. :smile2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are definitely some advantages to using anchored jugs, especially if you're trying to check out a particular spot, but I do a lot better freefloating my jugs.

9. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Yeah, I wouldnt mind just having free floating ones. But i've only got a 12' jonboat with a 30lb thrust minn kota for power, so I dont really feel like having to chase one clear on the other side of the lake....haha.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I understand. I freefloat my jugs in the current of the Arkansas River, and I float downriver 8-10 miles; what with running back and forth checking jugs, I run the boat at least twice that. Some folks like to jug that way, and some would rather do it in a more relaxed, laid-back way.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Just a fun comment. When I was a kid fishing in the local farm ponds(about 1 or 2 acres) my buddy and I used to rig a 1 foot piece of 2X2 wood with a small eye bolt in one end and tie a dropper line 3 to 6 foot long on it. Bait with worms, chicken gizzards, grasshoppers, whatever, and throw them in the pond.. Whenever one would start moving around we would jump in the pond and swim it down .. No Boat !! Had to be a little careful tho caught some snapping turtles up to 10-12 pounds.. extreme fun for a teenager on a hot summer day (before friggen video games arrived) AHHHH memories !!

12. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    When I was a kid my dad would set up jugs with a 2-3 foot leader tied to a stob or treelimb. then we would go do our fishing, and come back for the jugs. Worked kinda like a yoyo set up.