Jug line set up

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Wac M Trac M, May 5, 2009.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm going to build some jug lines for baiting 6 to 9 inch live shad and have a few questions.

Do yall used tarred twine or mono?

What pound test mono?

What type of rig?
    Dropper,
    Weight,swivel, leader, hook

I bought some 5/0 Diaechi circle hooks for those shad sound right?

How deep should they be? I'm fishing coves mainly so it goes from 8 to 20ft.

Any pics of a jug set up would be appreciated.
    THANKS

2. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh yeah one more question...I grew up in FL and did alot of live bait fishing for very wary fish like snook and tarpon. We never used swivels cause the fish were so wary.

Yall think flourocarbon and no swivels will make a differance?

3. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    you might want a larger hook and i personally use the tarred line and i usually set up the jug line to where my weight is right on bottom and tie a few hooks according to the depth i was fishing but i never use swivels just tie either a polomar or my usual knot for them

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A 5/0 circle sounds a little small for that size bait.

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I agree with Jerry, bigger hook and the tarred line.

6. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    Go to the library there is a article under trot / jug lines I think by BOC member Gentle Ben ( a fellow Texan) that show how to build some great jug lines. I have built many of these using his design and they work great. Just remember that what ever you use for your "jug" must be white by TX law. I used to use 2 liter soda bottles but Ben's design is much better. :wink:

7. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    any kind of masonry twine thats over 50 lb test will work and id use hooks no smaller than 8/0 for baits like that and also might want to make sure live bait is legal for setlines (jugs,trotlines) where you live. and just tie on a small wt. 1-3 oz. and if your in water 8-20 ft deep id set em bout 6 ft deep. dont want them to deep or if they wash to a shallow spot they gut hung on bottom and dont go nowhere and you end up with muck on it and no fish. just my 2 cents.

8. REBELYELL1861

REBELYELL1861 New Member

State:
    TX
    STONER

9. jdloehr

jdloehr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I see that a lot of people talk about using more than one hook per jug. Can somebody explain how to rig up jugs with multiple hooks?

10. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    using more than one hook per jug isnt as hard as it sounds you do it in almost the same way you would for a trotline i tie mine though just like i would for my rod and reel i have pictures on here of what my usual fishin rig looks like and i just tie another hook on either higher or lower depending on the depth and bait if ya need any more help on it shoot me a pm and i will do my best to explain it better or take some pictures if needed

11. jdloehr

jdloehr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Brandon. So you use a single verticle line from your jug with one hook and another hook on the same line below that?

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  13. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks 777, I have a few questions...This design looks awesome..better storage, safe...

Will the 2ft of noodle be able to hold a 30 pound fish? I know I can make them longer to solve this but was curious if you caught any big fish on this set up before. I'm guessing you have since you use 7/0 hooks..lol

Also you think the rebar would scare fish when it clucks down?

I bet you could attach wire to the rebar and when it clucks down it would complete a circut and turn a series of LED's on.. It'd be neat. I'm goona start building some soon...Thanks for the plans.

14. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well the way i do my juglines is exactly the same way i rig up my rod n' reels with a double overhand knot then put the loop through the eye of the hook and then go over the shank so i can easily take the hooks off i will try to make one up sometime this weekend and show you how exactly but let me know if you want step by step pics or just finished product i have caught big flats up to about 40-50lbs on this set up and have had hooks straightened before so i know it works and works well but mind you i use free floating jugs

15. jdloehr

jdloehr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been running tarred line and #6 or 8 hook and done pretty good. The only thing is that i have only run jugs in one small lake where the waters all bout 6 ft deep. How deep should i run my jugs in most lakes with deeper water?

16. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    it all depends on how many hooks you want to use i usually use 3 hooks one about 6-8 inches off bottom one 18 or so inches off bottom and one about 36inches from bottom

17. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool, how big were the fish and did it go completely under? how long? Did they pull it around alot?

I know what you mean with the double overhand knot..thats fast way to do it.

How do hooks get sraightened..I hear guys say this all the time. The jug moves so how would the fish be able to straighten a hook?

also I have a big spool of 80 pound test flourocarbon leader from my off shore days that I was going to use on my jugs. You think they could pop 80 pound test by running fast with the jug?

I'm curious to see if flourcarbon does better then tarred twine.

18. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well hooks can be straightened by turtles and big fish when the fish run with the jug the will usually still find cover and wrap themselves up i have had a few jugs go under but not many as i usually use bleach jugs just have to be ready for anything and everything really

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    16" of a noodle will work for any size fish(Take next time the waters warm and you can get in and play try to hold a 16' piece under your self) your going to catch. Our Jug kits even the 2 5/8" ones will come back up. It does not take a lot to get a fish beat down. Shoot we used to weld up to metal oil can's for jugs. They would sound like a shot gun going off when a fish took one down. Fish over 75 lbs could not keep this jug down long at all.
    AS for hooks we used to use 10/0 hand hammered hooks, Dad would kill 2 or 3 old roosters, Skin them out. Then rip out a long piece of meat. It was a killer combo on big fish.
    I hope to rig up 36 with big hooks and chicken soon.:wink: 12 of them will have our 11/0 Sickle hooks on them. 12 will have the Charlie Brown 10/0 octopus hooks. Then the next 12 will have the 7/0 sickle hooks on them.
    Test them and see what works best. I also hope to make a few videos of fishing them also. I will be using the Tattle Tail jugs for this . half of them will be the 3 3/4" kits and half the 2 5/8" Also will be using #7 bird shot in part of them for the ballest to test. AS some people like the tattle tail jugs, but have no way to cut the metal to use in them. So just load them up with lead shot and give it a test. It may be better then the Cold Roll steel or Re-Bar.
    Pete

20. muddy

muddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been jug fishin hard for a couple of years now and I think its the easiest way to put fish in the boat. Dont forget to take some kids with you cause they will love it. My boy and nephews fight about who gets to grab the next jug. I use a rail road spike with a hole drilled in the sharp end for the weight. It aint to heavy and it tends to dig in the mud so you get good hook sets. Use trotline string that will fit through the hook eye when its doubled. Tarred line lasts longer. Never use mono. Tie a loop 1 foot up from the weight and another 2 foot above that. Any more than 2 hooks and it gets tricky. I use jugs that have a long round cap that I wrap my line around(ALL brand laundry soap, get your wife to start usin that) I tie a swivel to the handle seperate from the line. I just roll the line up around the cap and put the line thru the swivel to store it and when you get ready to deploy just take the line out of the swivel, bait the hooks, drop the spike to the bottom and hook the line back in the swivel to keep any more line from comin off. I can fish any depth without any trouble. As for how deep to fish, I try all different depths on the first set to see where they're at. Then move the jugs that dont catch nothin closer to the ones that are.