Jug line poachers

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Gtexas, May 18, 2008.

1. Gtexas

Gtexas New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I went to check my jug lines this morning there was a guy right on top of them. I didn't see him with a line in his hand but every hook to the east of where is was had noting on it,,,Every line to the west of where he was either had bait or a fish.
    He acted like he was just cruising around and wasn't touching them but when I drove up on him with my boat up on plane and kicked the boat sideways and asked if he was done stealing my fish he sure did look guilty.
    Is that like stealing a horse? Can I shoot the bottom of his boat full of holes?
    How about just dragging him behind my boat for a hour of so to teach him a lesson.
    If I get the boat number and call 1-800 game thief will they do anything?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't know about there but, here you cannot leave them unattended by law. I would check the laws before I went and brought them into it, you may have been in the wrong as well!!!

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE ONLY WAY THAT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IS HAVE YOUR NAME ON THEM AND EITHER A WITNESS OR PIC'S IF NOT IT'S YOUR WORD OR HIS WORD. VERY TOUCH'E DEAL :0a26:

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    first, what lake were u on?
    do u know that game warden?
    did u see the guy ACTUALLY TOUCH one of your jugs?
    U can leave ur jugs unattended,
    be sure that u have the proper markings and the date that u set them out.
    Call and inform the game warden of your suspect, next tiem get boat REG number and the game warden will give this guy a call, if nothing else will scare him

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    The jug lines must be properly marked and dated in Texas. They can be left unattended and here is where they get stolen. There is a thief on the water all the time and you will get them stolen sooner or later if you leave them unattended. The game warden will only act if you find your jug lines, properly marked, in another person's boat. You have to furnish witness to the thieft and get the guy to wait on the Warden to show up. Chances are that isn't going to happen. They just leave before the warden shows up. You cannot detain them. They will file on you if you do and you will be in much more trouble than they are. I like to jug fish and do this to help protect my equipment. I only fish during the week when school is in session. I put out my jugs and stay with them, or place them out well after dark when no one is on the water. I then pick them up before daylight. This works most of the time. Catfishjon

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well if he was theiving I hope ya catch him red handed. Just carry a camera, kinda hard to deny a picture or video.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I know some boys in Boston that may help you. :smile2:

8. Gtexas

Gtexas New Member

State:
    Texas
    So your saying I cant shoot holes in the bottom of their boat and drag them behind mine till they scream like Michael Jackson in a prison fight? How about using their thieving fingers as bait for a few nice blue cats? I just hate a thief. Here's an idea,,,, Trim the 200 Merc up out of the water,, Backup with the trolling motor with the Merc turning about 3000 rpm .. Cut the boat in half and use whats left for a new jug line float! LOL
    I will set them out Friday and do some crappie fishing within binocular range and hopefully I wont have to educate anyone on how to treat other peoples stuff.

[​IMG]

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Perhaps a good stout piss elm club mite werk?:crazy: I don't mind givin anyone a mess of fish but lord knows i hate a thief. All a man has to do is ask.:cool2:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmmm, wonder how they'd react to pulling in someone else's jug and finding a big cottonmouth on the end of it? (Old age and treachery beat out youth and enthusiasm every time.)

11. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have to agree to every single word of this.... use it as a learning experience for the next time (just as a reminder to carry a camera and follow the guy to catch'em!!) with time the anger should go away.
    Jess

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    You summed it up perfectly! No sense in lowering ourselves to their level. Still upsets me when something like this happens but I have tried to mellow out in my later years.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    here's a thought... rig a rat trap just under the water on the jug, and hopefully when he picks it up it will snap him good. that might break the habit! if all your rat traps are sprung, you'll know you are dealing with a real hardhead, and the boat shooting is next in line! welcome to the boc from amarillo!

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Try fishing with a rod and reel...problem solved

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Yep, that will solve the problem. I have taken fish off of other people jugs before. BUT....in Ohio you can't leave them unattended. I assume they abandoned if no one is in sight. I also tie the jug to a stump or tree limb, out of the water, so the owner has an easier time finding them if they come looking for them.

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Gotta love a sorry thief. They...well they totally suck. there is nothing worse than a thief. Its just a fish, but one you worked for, so its kinda like money. I would have been totally pissed at that guy.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. shoot the boat full of holes. then its both of your words against eachother.:smile2:

and if he has a camera it will be ruined as he swims to shore anyhow:angry:

man that would tick me off.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh boy:smile2: here we go again.:smile2:

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Was fixin to say the same thing, oh well!!!:smile2:

20. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    marking your jugs correctly is key in texas you cant leave your jugs out over 30 days and must have date tag. if he was once he will do it again let the game warden on the lake you were on know they love to catch people poaching.