Jug line lengths

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Mi11er, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    When making jug lines, how long should the line be to the weight. I am making some jugs and made them without making sure how long the lines should be. I was thinking 8ft from the jug to the weight, but I have seen guys with 3 ft lines:confused2: so I don't know. I guess it depends on what the fish are doing, but I am stumped

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I think a lot is in the water your fishing, I have some that are maybe 18" to 24", and some that are 3' , so I really don't know what to tell you. Don't think there is a certain lenght IMO. I catch fish on all lenght line....

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    It depends a lot on the depth of the water you fish. You never want to fish
    them so deep they hang up on the humps. For years I fished 4' deep in 15'
    to 30' of water. The last few years I have been fishing about 12' to my
    weight and my 4/0 kahle hook and then I tie another line to my main line
    4 ' below my jug. The second line is about 24" long. I normally use shrimp,
    cut bait, fiddle worms, catalpa worms, or some sort of stink bait on the
    shallow hook and a live blue gill, chub, or large shiner on the bottom hook.
    This way I am fishing different depths and using a smogestboard of bait.
    You are not putting all your eggs in one basket. If you use the two hook
    method be mindful of that shallow hook when landing a fish on the deep
    hook. I have been fishing with the 2 hook method about 5 years with no
    problem. I do not let my grandchildren pull the line for fear of them getting
    hooked. I let them catch the jug and I pull the fish to the top and I let
    them work the net. Children love to jug fish. If you don't like squeals and
    laughter don't take kids jug fishing.ha ha.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great info

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    One other thing I find works well is to take a piece of them "pool noodles" and I split it long way and slip is over th erail of the boat, as I pull in jug lines I can just stick the hook into that and keeps it safe and out of the way.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Like a lot of things, 'it depends'. When jugging a real small lake that had a pretty level bottom of about 9', I had my lines rigged at about 4'-5', baited with minnows, and caught crappie, catfish, and an occasional bass. I usually jug on the Arkansas River, where the depth can vary quite a bit, but generally doesn't get over about 15'-20' deep, except in a few holes. For that, I put my first hook 3' below the surface, a second hook 3' below that, a third hook 3' below that, and the fourth hook 3' below that, which works out to 12' deep; my weight is about a foot below the bottom hook. I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight because it's cheap and doesn't hang up as often as a regular sinker.
    Some years back, when I was visiting relatives in Chattanooga, I took my jugs a few miles below town to fish the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee, which runs 60'-80' deep in most places. I didn't have much luck till I went back to the van and tied on about 40' of line between my regular jugline and the jug, putting my hooks much deeper. Once I did that, I began catching fish.
    Let me specify that I'm fishing for blues, which might be found anywhere in the water column.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    For me in the river no more then 24 to 36" of line. Now if its in the lake and I see fish sitting 25ft deep in 40ft of water. I adjust my jugs to around 23 ft. I see people all the time in the river here with 20ft of line. The river channel is for the most part only 12ft deep. So they stay hung up all the time.
    More big fish are caught here in 3ft or less.
    pete

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    See, now this is a perfect example of where personal preference enters into how folks rig their jugs. I got to jug below Pickwick a year ago last September, and had very few hangups using the same setup I use on the Arkansas; the bottom hook is 12' below the surface, and my weight is about a foot below that. Other hooks are placed every 3' up the line. Incidentally, we had a great catch, and I can't wait to hit it again!

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am beginning to think that personal preference is what the answer to my question. But, I did learn that it seems I should have tried jugging a long time ago. Everyone seems to catch a ton of fish.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jerry your hooks were on bottom most of the time. As the channel for the first 7 miles below pickwick is lucky if its averages 11 ft. Out of the channel and your looking at 9ft or less. I see hundreds a year that are hung up. Because of way to much line on them. I bet I have picked up 50 or more in the last 2 years that were hung up . ( They had been hung up for days when I took them)
    But like in my other post. All depends on where your fishing. Also I hear that Tn may be changing the rules on jugs where you have to stay with them. Lots of people throw them out and leave them out all night. If they make it where you have to be with them. Lots of people will be in trouble.
    They caught a few last year for leaving them out over night. They did not have there names and stuff on them. Caught them the next morning when they were taking them up.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jess, the best advice I can give you is to take the ideas you like best and give them a try to see what works best for you.