JUG LINE HOOKS

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Apr 14, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WAS WONDERING THE BEST TYPE OF HOOK TO USE ON A JUG LINE

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Last year I used kahle hooks, but this year I am changing over to circle hooks on half my jugs to see which get more hook ups.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like kahle hooks,but used J Hooks for many years with great success.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used regular big-eye trotline hooks for years, then switched over to kahle hooks; hookup percentage seemed to go up, so I thought I had a winner, but the kahle hooks rusted out after only one season. Also, the kahle hooks were a lot more of a problem to put on my 100# nylon jugline. So, I went back to my old trotline hooks from Walmart.

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I use very sharp circle hooks. I catch more fish and seldom have one that is not lip hooked. I used J hooks in the past and always found deep hooked fish that were dead or going to die. I now release the ones I don't need for the table. Catfishjon

6. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WELL THANK YOU GUYS I WAS ALSO WONDERING HOW LONG DO YOU THINK THOSE CATS WILL STAY ON THERE SAY ONE GETS HOOK JUST AS SOON AS I LEAVE THE JUG, IVE FOUND THAT ALOT OF MY JUGS HAVE EMPTY HOOK AND THE LINE IS STRESSED AS IF A FISH WAS ON AND I NORMALLY CHECK THEM EVERY 4-5 HOURS

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For some reason, I just don't have much trouble with deep hooking when using "J" hooks on my jugs. I would say that I don't have more than one or two per hundred deep hooked.

8. lwarchery

lwarchery New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gamakatsu 5/0 to 7/0 circle hooks no fish will get off.

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    if i wouldnt use it on my rod i wont use it on a jugline limbline or trotline

10. konfederate.kowboy

konfederate.kowboy New Member

State:
    texas

this is a good motto but i use circle hooks on jugs and regular j hooks on poles but only because i bought 2500 trotline hooks for 50cents a box :wink:

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I have had a lot better catch rate after going to circle hooks.