Jug line holder. Will this work??

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Old Bill, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    All my previous jug line fishing has been using a pontoon boat with a second person helping steer the boat, or pulling the lines.

The pontoon boat has been sold, and my helper has lost interest in fishing. So I'm equiping a old 1957 14' aluminum boat for solo jug fishing. I thought it might be kind of neat to have something to hold the jug line...for whatever reason...while I'm doing something else...like looking for my bait!

So I made a small plywood base, then drilled a hole for a bolt to attach the base to the boat's rail, using the boat's starboard oar lock. I had a couple of old V-cleats on hand, one one for small line, and one larger for larger line, so I attached these V-cleats to the plywood base.

Here is a photo showing the jug line holder mounted on the oar lock.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Jug line V-cleats.JPG

And, a second photo showing the holder mounted for travel.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Jug line V-cleats2.JPG

What do you guys think? Will this work, or will I end up with some hooks in my tender body?:crazy:

This is my 10th posting so now I'm good to go for viewing images and such stuff!:big_smile:

Which also means you won't have to read anymore of my postings!!:0a33:

Old Bill

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thankyou for sharing those pictures!!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're using foam noodles or soda jugs, the best way I've found in almost 25 years of jugging is to simply wrap the line around the jug, letting the hooks hang free. If you're having to pick up several jugs for some reason, you can even stack them. The hooks hanging free let you rebait without disturbing the line that's wrapped around the jug. Then when you want to put it back out, the line unwraps very easily.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I guess I have to agree with louisvillrider on the question, I can see it being great for a trot-line, not sure on the jugs, we use a piece of 3/4 pipe insulation over the side rail and stick the hooks into it while re-baiting and what ever but juggin to me is single jugs?, but from your pics I can see it working very well on a trot-line.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use the foam noodles with about 30 foot of stagin, 2 hooks tied on drops and a end weight. I've found that tieing to the end of the noodle helps as it will often stand up when you have a fish. The only "tool" i use is a broom stik with a hook i use to catch the jugg with if need be. Don't forget the net.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The problem I see with using a boathook (broomstick with a hook on it) to hold the jug is that if the cat makes a sudden run, it's often very difficult to release the jug very quickly. Since jug-caught cats are often very lightly hooked, hanging onto the jug while the cat tries to get away is an excellent way to lose some fish. Of course, you may feel that the ones that don't get away provide enough extra excitement to make up for the ones that do get away. So, we're back to personal likes and dislikes. Personally, when I grab the (soda) jug, I grab the bottom end with all 5 fingertips. If a cat makes a sudden run, I don't even have to think about releasing the jug---it pops right out because of the pull.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, I'd never thought about the using a boat hook might cause catfish to get away. All my prior jug line fishing was done using a pontoon boat, and I'd been lost without my boat hook to snag the jugs!

Very interesting.

Old Bill

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bill, I think I went one morning to pick up your jugs---I drove and you fetched. That's one of the things I personally dislike about pontoons. When you gently start to pull up on the jugline, you can feel from the weight whether it's a good fish or not. I've lost several nice fish when I gently pulled and felt a 'tunk', which was the hook pulling loose. With a boathook, I'm not sure you'd even know you had just lost a fish. Of course, any fish that lightly hooked is going to get off no matter what you do, but I often lift a cat into the boat by the jugline with the net held underneath to catch it if it comes off. And they do come off about 10 % of the time. Unless it's a pretty nice fish, I try to keep it out of the net because it will roll and get tangled up in the net. I don't like to have to untangle it.
    One thing I've thought of, but never tried, is getting a long rod and attaching a big treble hook to the line. Catch the jugline with the treble hook, and pull the jug in with the rod & reel. If the fish makes a sudden run, and you've got your drag set light, it should work just as well as letting the jug go free. Anybody out there ever try this? :0a21:

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ah Jerry! Even after almost 10 years, I'm still moaning about a HUGE FLAT HEAD that I lost when I hit it on it's head with my net! Well, I was very excided! It looked like a whale to me!

I guess the hook must have been barely caught, because when I hit the fish it was gone! Sob!

Over time, that dang fish has gotten bigger and bigger! Now, when I tell folks about my mis-catch, the flat head was at least half the size of my pontoon boat! Sad to say, but my dear wife doen't remember it being close to that size.:wink:

Oh well! I'm sure that old fish is still out there waiting for me!

Old Bill

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but women seem to be more excitable about fishing than men. Your wife was no doubt so excited at seeing a nice cat that she neglected to estimate its size in relation to your pontoon. :wink:
    Last spring, on our Pickwick gathering, we hung a 32# blue, and I thought Gardenhawk was trying to beat it to death with the net instead of getting the fish into the net. And no, that's not when I took my flying header in the boat; that happened when I was getting into the boat while it was tied up to shore.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, after using my Jug line holder for two weeks, I must say that it works quite well on jug lines.

I found it useful mostly while setting out the jugs and baiting the hooks.

Would I build another one? Naw, only if I was going to lay out trot lines.

Old Bill

12. Hegemon1122

Hegemon1122 New Member

State:
    Texas
    And I'm in the same boat with you on the 10 post thing. Thanks Bill