The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used jugs on ponds and lakes for decades.... I have not used them on the Missouri River until this year. I am planning on setting some stationary jugs (those that have a weight on the line's end) Im not interested in the free-floaters. I have the swim noodle / PVC homemade jugs already. I know where I want to set them as well. Here's my questions for those who use stationary jug lines :
For the Missouri River.......
1)How much line should I load on them? (I was thinking 40')- I fish 40' holes.
2) What line do you use?
3)How far up from the weight should I tie the swivel, leader and hook?
4) Do you just drop them and wait until the weight hits the bottom and keep at that depth with the line tight?
5)How much weight do you put on the end?
6)Favorite hook for jugs?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fish on Lake Livingston and cannot give advice for Missouri River. Just suggestion, which works for me. I clip noodle/PVC jugs to the long line with small sticks and loops on the line. It looks like a trotline with big "bobbers" that pops up if fish on the hook. I use only one or two big weights on the ends of this "trotline." The length of my jug dropper lines is ~6-8 feet, but they are adjustable up to 20 feet. It is enough for water where I fish cats. For the jugs and trotline, I use the catfish trotline, small sinkers (1 oz), and cheap catfish hooks from Walmart. I check jugs frequently; therefore, I do not use swivels. Hope it will helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Think of it as a trotline, but vertical.
In a 40' hole I'll use 50'-60' of #35 braid with a dropper line every six feet.
10lb window weights are perfect.
I like 2.5gal jugs for floats. Three 1gal jugs tied together works too.
9/0-12/0 gama circles.
There's a hundred ways to do it but that works for me.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I don’t run those kind of lines on the mo but I know how to set them. Most guys I know use a railroad flat for a weight to keep the jug and fish pinned in place. Using window weights they won’t hold well and big fish can drag it off or into snags. Most here run 5 drops 6 to 10 ft apart. With about 20 extra ft of line on jug. For jugs they like the 2 to 5 gallon roundup jugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have set them several times and had some good success. We use joy fish nylon twine size 84 for our main lines 40-50 foot long, tie swivels to it about every 5 foot. Then we use the size 21 for about a ten inch leader with a good circle hook. We use a metal can filled with concrete for a weight or two window weights and then bait it up and start dropping it where we want it. Once it is where we want it we tighten the line up and tie most the slack up. It works pretty well as long as there isn't a bunch of trash coming down the river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts