Jug Hook-up Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by mmccalli, Nov 7, 2007.

1. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    So I am new to the forum, so if this has been discussed i am not aware of it yet. I have some self flagging jugs I made, like the earlier post is talking about. I have caught a few fish on them, but I am having a problem actually hooking the fish with them. I watch them trip most of the time, and no fish. I actually watched one Disappear completely , then shoot out of the water like a dang bottle rocket. Anyway is there something that i am missing. Is the jug just to small, wrong hooks, not enough weight? Any help would be appreciated.

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Matt:

Sounds to me like you are using the wrong Hooks. I would be using Kahle, Circle or Sickle Hooks that are very sharp. Also don't over bait the hooks. By that I mean don't put too big of a bait on the hooks to a point where you don't have good hook exposure. Let the hook hang outside the bait. Also use a bigger hook like a 7/0 size. The small Cats will still get hooked too.

My 2 Cents;

Gene

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Matt. What kind of hooks are you using. I use 7/0 kahles on mine and they work well. I've heard that circles will work even better. I'm going to switch half of mine out to 8/0 gamas and test that theory before long. If your already using circles make sure there big enough and baited properly.

4. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am using 6/0 Owner or Tru Turn Hooks. I have been alternating between the two just to see if one works better. The Tru Turn hooks are a little larger, but I have had a lot of trouble with them gettin straighted on my trotlines so i decided to try owner.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Get those Eagle Claw Kahle hooks. Or the Sickle hooks that Gene has. They work great for us. You can't avoid some of that though. We usually run between 20 and 40 jugs and we take plenty of fish home for the freezer with them. We use 4/0 hooks on ours in the kahle's and 7/0 in the sickle hooks. Both work great.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never used true turns so i won't comment on them but owner makes some good hooks i'd just go up in size. And if they are owner circles then you really have to pay attention on how you bait them to make sure the hook point stays exposed or it will miss hooking the fish.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I generally use 5/0 Big-Eye Trotline Hooks from Walmart, but will sometimes go to 4/0 or 6/0. I tie 4" droppers in my mainline, thread the end of the loop through the eye, then bring the hook back through the loop. Easy on, easy off. Khale hooks would give me a little better hookup ratio, but they are harder to attach to my lines, cost more, and rust out much faster. In addition to making sure that the point is exposed, make sure that there isn't a scale on the point. It's real easy to stick the point into a scale while you're baiting the hook, and that will definitely keep you from getting a hookup.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jtrew is telling you just like it is.... one small scale from a shad or bluegill can prevent the point of the hook from penetrating the jawbone or gristle around the mouth. Always make it a point to wipe the point of the hook off after you put the bait on.

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I always use j or kahle hooks about 6/0. I like circle hooks but by their design I have a hard time sharpening them. I sharpen all hooks after each trip and my hookup rate is much better than when I don't. Also if hooks don't have a little offset in them , I put a little offser in them. Not saying I'm right but it works better for me .

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i only use tru-turns. have really good hook ups with them. 6/0-9/0 be sure hook point is exposed!

11. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am pretty sure(could be wrong though) that there are no scales on the hook point. All I have been using are Bass Minnows. The hooks were brand new so I am hoping that they had a good point on them. I do have a new set of Mustad Circles that I will try friday so maybe that will help. GMCFishHauler: Have you had trouble with the hooks being bent or straightened. I am pulling hooks off the trotline that are MESSED UP. Straight hooks, shattered swivels, broken trees,and busted leaders are some of the stuff I am dealin with right now. Sorry guys if I keep asking questions, but I just found out about this sight and I have developed tons of questions over time.I really appreciate all of the responses.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, juglines and trotlines are two completely different things. One mistake beginners often make with trotlines is to simply tie the line between two stumps or other solid objects. Now there's nothing wrong with tying to such things, but you've got to make some kind of allowance so that a cat can't get a good solid pull. One way is to use a heavy duty bungee cord or section of inner tube on each end to act as a shock absorber. That works just fine, but I use a different method. I leave some slack in my mainline when I tie each end, then attach a 8#-10# weight 10'-20' out from where it's tied. Just how much slack to leave, and just how far out to attach the weights is strictly trial & error. From where it's tied, you want the line to go down into the water at about a 60 degree angle. Not only will this hold the line tight, but when a big cat starts pulling on the line, it has to pull against the weight; and the higher it gets the weight, the harder it gets to pull it any higher. Check Trotlining 101 in our library for a sketch of this. You have to attach the droppers with swivels, or a lot of cats will twist off; and the swivels need to be stout. I generally use 1/0 or 2/0. Never try to use a snap swivel; the snaps just won't hold up. Use a large, stout hook, not some flimsy wire hook made to use with a rod & reel. I use Big-Eye Trotline Hooks that I buy at Walmart. My droppers are a 24" length of braided nylon of about 100# test, with the ends tied together to make a 12" loop. I attach one end of the loop to the swivel on rhw mainline, and then attach the hook to the other end. Because it's a loop, I can do this without tying any knots. Every time you rebait, check your hooks. If one is damaged or dull, remove it and put on a fresh one. When you get home, you can go through the ones pulled off and repair, sharpen, or discard them.

13. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt,
    You started your post about jug fishing, and how the fish were tilting them up without getting cought. If you are using minnows , maybe you need to try a little bigger bait. Many times the ones you see go down and pop back up with out a fish are gar. Move to a different hole, are set your bait deeper, to get away from the gar.
    Paul

14. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    As Jtrew said, the biggest mistake with trotline is that some folks tie it off solid. I ALWAYS have one or both sides with some "give". I prefer to tie off to 2 green pecan limbs about 1/2"-1" around. They have enuff give so that the equipment doesnt take all the punishment.
    As for straightened truturns, i have had some on trotlines where the fish has wrapped around a log or something and pulled off. never had one all the way straight ( had several "trotline hooks" from walmart do that) but have had a few that were slightly "opened"

15. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the ideas. I like the weight idea. I like it a lot better than a bungee. Using a green limb is out of the question. I am fishing at Alan Henry and there are trees, but not a lot of them.If they are close to the water, they are dead. olddriller: It could have been a gar. We don't have a lot of gar here, but I have seen a few in other areas of the lake.My jugs are hitting between 15-20ft deep.Is this deep enough, or you think they should be deeper? GMC FishHauler: Yeah I am suprised the Tru turn Hooks are getting tore up. I really like them due to their large barb size, but I have pulled a lot of them off. I actually have a stringer of them hanging in my house. I really appreciate all of the help. I am actually trying to catch the lake record here. I am about 99% sure I lost it a couple months ago trying to get it of the line. Maybe all of this damage is it. I will absolutely give ya'll some credit if I do. Thanks

16. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    No need to set a circle hook.... I use 6/0 laser sharp eagle claw myself.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're after the lake record, rather than, say, cats less than 20#-30#, I'd definitely go with a really heavy hook (maybe saltwater), only a few hooks per line, and big baits, such as skipjack heads or hand-sized bream, depending on whether you're after blues or flatheads. Back when I was trotlining a lot, I set out a 'monster line' where I knew the big ones should feed, and baited it with big live bream on 12/0 forged shark hooks. 'Something' straightened out one of those hooks.

18. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    academy has some great saltwater hooks size 12/0. Take these into consideration if using on a jug with extremely large bait. Example-1lb carp, 8-10"bluegill, or really big shad. we use them everynow and then when we have huge 14-18"shad that we wanna try. Never had one straighted but had to swim down a line to get it out of a tree.

19. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    The owner Hooks I have been using are salt water hooks. Here is my next question though. I addressed this on the lakes forum and I might have put this in the wrong spot. I have been puttin a minnow/perch trap out trying to catch some better bait. I put it out last time in a cove that was in the murky water of the lake. It is the end closer to the river entrance. I didn't have anything in it and am going to try an area that is a little clearer. I can actually see the bait fish swimming in the clear area so i am hoping for better luck. Is there somthing I should be doing to increase productivity of this trap? I have tried cut carp with no luck, and frozen shad with no luck. i am thinking live shad will do the trick. The big fish I hung on large minnows. You know I can't imagine swimming down a line. That is awesome. The fish I lost was a blue. We got down about 6 hooks from him and he decided to go crazy. When he did this he broke the stump on that end. I am not a big guy, about 150lb, and he took off straight down. With line in my hand he laid me belly down on the boat. I pulled him up to the boat, was trying to get him in when he leveled out the hook and swam off. It has become personal. I have still been using 6/0 hooks so I may try larger. I honestly was prepared for that large of a fish. Alan henry is not know for massive catfish, but I think it is getting better.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think you'd do better on your bream/minnow trap using crackers or bread.