jug fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by cobra, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    would yall like to know how i would stop jug fishing? and would you like to see the jugs i use?:wink:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro. Cobra, for some reason you are not hearing or reading what most people on this thread are saying. Most want jugging to be controlled by the person using the jugs, not totally eliminated. Or another way of saying it, is that most want responsible juggers who conform to current wildlife reg's and common sense.

As for showing your jugs, if they are not made or sold by a BOC sponsor I would advise you not to show them or discuss who makes them. That is a 'no no' and it can get you in trouble with the moderators and/or the head man himself.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have invited Cobra to the next Carolina Catfish Club meeting. We extend that welcome to anyone that would like to discuss jugging and offer some ideas, thoughts, and suggestions on the matter. You do not have to be a member to attend, and we would love to hear from folks in the jugging community.

My feeling and hunch is that actions of a few have affected the feelings toward the entire jugging community by the rod and reel fishermen.

4. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

I like taking the quiet mode on the matter myself. Meaning that i enjoy jug fishing, as well as drift fishing and i understand both sides complaints. However, i dont like drama or confrontation with another fellow fisherman so i stick to the low traffic areas by myself and float with my jugs (when jugging), and dont bump bows with another boat while drifting. As much as I would like a law to be passed for juggers to have more responsibility staying with their equiptment i think it would be a hard law to enforce for the game wardens, and i hope cobra hasnt stained the reputation of all juggers. Cobra no offense buddy, im on your side, but you're starting to beat a dead horse, and i think the R&R boys have just as much right to fish as many rods as they want. Look at it this way, you do your job obeying the law, theyll do their job, and when someone talks about "law breaking juggers", since your equiptment is anchored take security in knowing they arent necessarily pointing the finger at you. Sunday Money just trying to help make peace in catfish land.

5. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i see the thin skinned ones, i am just watching now not running my mouth

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....and when someone talks about "law breaking juggers", since your equiptment is anchored take security in knowing they arent necessarily pointing the finger at you..."

DING DING DING!! We have a winner!! :smile2:

Thats the reason I want to go jugging with Cobra. It sounds as though he has a system of jugging that allows him to maintain control over the jugs. I will bet that other juggers can learn from this. :wink:

While I come across harsh and stubborn, I am probably one of the most open minded folks you will ever find. So open minded in fact that I am willing to become a "jugger for a day" to learn more about it! :tounge_out:

...and you thought Fox News was "fair and balenced"......

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i am very impressed with the way you people settled your debate

and my invitation even extends to you if ever in my side of the country give me a pm and i will take you and set some lines for some flaties :wink:
    very well said there brother

8. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    now wylie cat after i take you fishing and show you how, better not let me see you buying a set of jugs to fish with, and throwing the rods in the trash, cause if i do all i am gonna say is GOTCHA one more to the plan

9. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well this morning at Lake Tillery I counted 31 lost jugs. How the hell does someone lose that many jugs. He they lost that many , the question is how many did they start with. Last week one day I counted 22 lost jugs another day and again another day 7. Keep it up juggers and I bet the state will put a stop to it.

10. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

Theres no way you can lose that many jugs. Thats just some lazy drunk fisherman that doesnt care about anybody else but himself. I could jug in the atlantic ocean with 8 ft. seas and not lose 31 jugs. Sounds like you need to do some investigating tomahawk and get that name and address to let that person know whats up. At least give the game warden a shout out on the situation. If it is that steady of a problem there all the time shouldnt be that hard to bust somebody on it if the ol possum sherriffs are half way doing their jobs. A hefty fine would sure make a man think differently bout fishing that way, at least it would somebody like me with not so deep pockets. How bout it.........

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ...and what you saw was legal in this state. :sad2: lost or not :sad2: If no boat is around its a waste to a trophy fish when it happens to hang under a pier somewheres and it does happen. Just ask Mac. I dont think its done on purpose but keeping up with 70 jugs is too much at night. There is no way anyone can keep track of 70 jugs in the darkness when the bite is on...even with a spotlight and dot reflector tape. Bad enough to keep count of them when you are tired from fishing all night, chasing, baiting and retrieving fish. Esp. when dealing with current conditions in the river system. Most jugs are not big enough to hold a big fish from pulling it under for 20-30 minutes at a time. I got a 29lb blue last year off a noodle with a 7-8 ft leader on it. There was no boat in sight and I had been there for over a 30 minutes catching white perch when this jug pops up in from me. I could not catch it with the 71lb trust trolling motor....kept going under when I got close. Ended up cast a rod and reel to catch it and it was only 29lbs in the daylight. Can you image a 50 lb plus on the same noodle. I would of never caught it. Jug size needs to looked at in this state. Its a waste to loose a trophy size cat on a jug and see it die lost. Ive heard lots of fisherman say they couldnt catch a noodle with a fish on it. Those things need to be outlawed in my opinion. I used them so I know. They okay for small fish but a big one will take it down river or up river in a short period of time under water. Then its lost. Anchoring them as cobra says might be a big plus for the juggers future. Just a thought from what I have seen.

12. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Last Friday night I was at Tillery all night. One boat put out 42 jugs Friday evening. They were not checked until 7:30 or later Saturday morning. All fish were kept.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Anchoring them as cobra says might be a big plus for the juggers future..."

I am not trying to sell the brand of jugs Cobra uses, but I do think the technique has the potential to extend the life of jugging in NC.

14. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina

I was there monday night robert, and those same jugs were there... The only info that was on them was BIG JOHN...

15. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    as a "fisherman" I think that it sounds like two parties that were involved were at fault. the first party was the guy who "lost" the jugs. the second party was you........ if you didn't call the wildlife service to report it then YOU as a "fisherman" were the weakest link. and if it was a danger to others then you should have stepped up to help out.

now as a "jugger" why keep throwing out those threats? you are a grown man......... you should know better. "Keep it up juggers and I bet the state will put a stop to it." why even say something like that to anyother catfisherman? and you take the public with you on fishing trips? what do they learn? how to stereotype people and point the finger a the bad apple............ if you had enough time to count the jugs then you should have called the man and had them removed. if they were being used in an illegal way.

16. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    Well I know how some of yall feel about about noodle jugs, but I just made me 12 and I'm gonna make some 3 pound weights for fishing them stationary.
    That way I don't get in some else's way, And I'll be right with them to watch them.
    I fish them in daytime, and 12 to 18 juggs should keep one man busy, I can't see how anybody can take care of 70 free floting jugs, and at night....plzzzzz.

Gary

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I fish them in daytime, and 12 to 18 juggs should keep one man busy, I can't see how anybody can take care of 70 free floting jugs, and at night....plzzzzz....."

Well Gary, it appears a LOT OF PEOPLE agree with you. :wink: