Jug fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jigghead1, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    I wonder can you jug fish in the ohio river? Any Info would be good, thank you

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have never seen anything to the contrary, in the Ohio regs. You would definitely want to follow them, such as we have to by law, here in Ohio. I would not try to use too many at once, at least not at first. 6 jugs would probably work to start with. I would look for some slow moving water, or an eddy area. This way you could maximize the time, that your bait was available to the fish. Chasing jugs in a lake is hard work. I could imagine what it would be like, running them in a fast flowing area of a river :crazy::smile2:. You might need a partner to help you run these in the river. One to steer the boat and one to catch the fish. Sounds like a lot of fun :big_smile:.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've only jugfished in a lake a few times; mostly I jug the Arkansas River. Jugging on the river is definitely full-time; you have to plan ahead to pull up and take a 10 minute break. I've always felt that jugging on a lake or backwater was a really laid-back, relaxing way to fish. But my jugs are built so that the wind doesn't affect them very much; before I made that modification, wind really blew them around.

4. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Thanks on the Info. Go on You Tube website, and type in jug fishing. It look so fun.

5. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Thank alot, jugging look so fun,:big_smile: I got to try it out.

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have done a lot of jugging on lakes. I did use 32oz Gatorade bottles, with the line tied through the lid. I once chased a jug for about 15 minutes. Every time I got close to it, the jug would go under and pop up about 20 feet away (like Jaws). It ended up being a channel cat, that weighed about 8 pounds. I am going to start using flagging jugs. I am going to make about a dozen or so. They look like they will work great. I don't keep many catfish due to the fact that, I am the only one in my house that will eat channel catfish. I just like to catch them and let them go. It is great fun.

7. jigghead1

jigghead1 New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Materials needed

Pool Noodles, I like the yellow because you can see them from a distance. But if you live in Texas you will need white or some white duct tape to put on them.
    1" PVC pipe
    1" Tees
    1" end caps
    PVC pipe glue and cleaner
    drill and small drill bit
    Screw in eye bolts
    6" lengths of rebar
    Duct Tape
    Reflective Tape
    #18 Trotline Cord
    3-way swivels
    weight

Directions

Cut your noodles into 3 equal lengths, you will end up with 3 sections just over 19 inches long.
    Cut your 1" PVC pipe into 2 foot lengths.
    Glue a Tee onto a 2 foot section of pipe.
    Slide the noodle onto the pipe all the way to the Tee.
    Drop a 6" piece of re-bar into the pipe.
    Glue on an end cap.
    After glue sets up drill a pilot hole into the center of the end cap.
    Screw an eye bolt into the hole you made in the end cap.
    Wrap the reflective tape around both ends of the Tee.
    :wink: new juggin way i saw.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Noodles can make some great jugs, but only if you fish them in such a way that you can stay pretty close to them. Once they get a few hundred yards away, it's really difficult to see them on the water. I tried some, and scrapped them after one use. I find that 2 liter soda jugs work better for me because I can see them 1/2 mile away with my binoculars.