Jug fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by FTL6, Feb 24, 2008.

1. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    I have heard of a method of jug fishing for cats.Is it allowed on lake Norman?

2. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    dont know whats the method string jug hook

3. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    yes i used to jug fish but thanks to god ived stopped!!!!!!! tomohawk and catfishurus have told me how badly it hurts the catfish population .......say u got 60 jugs ...on a good day about 20 are gonna get hooked and the fish that get hooked on aint gonna be small !! that just hurts its population ....i used to jug fish them because i didnt know how to catch them but it was fun and i learned the hard way gettin out ther for hours and not gettin nothin but it pays of once u now how to go about fishin these cats..... THIS SITE IS STRICTLY ROD AND REEL ONLY :wink:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry to bust your bubble, Elvis, but the site is for all fishermen, mostly catmen, but for all neverless. And if you did put out number of jugs, and caught a gosh awful amount of fish, what says you gotta keep them? A lot of us practice CPR, which does not necessarily deplete the population. I don't know if you can deplete the overall population of catfish. I imagine some cats do get gut hooked, but those you can keep and give to someone who eats fish.

5. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    you aint bust nobodys bubble buddy..... :wink: see i just feel like jug fishin has no fun to it ....throw the jugs and wait til fish get stuck???????? THATSS SOOOO BBBORRRIIINNNGGGG now if you like that boring type fishin its not called fishin ...fishin is wen you have fun.....i just dont see the fun in jug fishin....i used to jug fish .but catfishirus and tamohawk have convinced me and fishin with ou the jugs is wer ima be?????

6. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Elvis, this site is for all fisherman. Don,t run down a man just because he doesn't believe the way you do. After all, jug fishing is not boring to me, its legal, and I like to do it. I like fishing with rod and reel, but my Grandpaw fished with a cain pole. He said the same thing about rods and reels when they came out as you did about jug fishing. They would just catch all the fish if allowed to catch fish with these new rods and reels. It all comes down to the individual when it comes to keeping what they catch. Each fisherman has to set their own standards. I could catch 75 to a hundred cats a day on rod and reel if I wanted that many. The law only allows 25 per day here and you can catch that many with rod and reel almost any day. I only keep what I want to eat and leave the rest. Thats my standard. Catfishjon

7. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    cant see foating jugs + maybe drift fishing same time could be boaring just being on the water makes a good day for me

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Elvis, you are certainly free to feel any way you want about any method of fishing for any species of fish, but don't go running down other fishermen because they don't agree with you. They have the same right as you to feel any way they want about any method of fishing for any species of fish. We are talking about LEGAL methods of fishing, of course. If you feel that jugfishing for cats hurts the population, go out, get some signatures on a petition, and take it to the people who make your local regulations. Again, you are free to use any legal method to attempt to get your laws changed to suit your own personal preference. Now, if you don't like the fact that this site is open to all fishermen using legal methods of fishing, you're also free to go find another site, or even start your own.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes its legal but we are working on the process of getting it limited to a set number of jugs allowed here. Currently there is no regulations on the number of jugs used in this state. So you can imagine how many jugs get threw into our lakes and rivers. The good news is those that dont care for the jugging in this state will not stop jugging. The juggers themselves will get it stopped due to leaving the lost ones in the lakes and river as trash. I agree the site is for everyone but you will not get many responses from juggers in the nc section. Jugging is a lazy mans way of fishing in my opinion here. I do know for a fact that juggers can and do take large amounts of fish from our rivers and lakes. Is this bad or good? Some folks say we need more studies to show this. Here is my study 10 years ago when all these big fish was hatched....there wasnt many folks seriously jugging here. Now since the swimming noodles came along the number of juggers have over doubled but our catchfish population hasnt doubled. Most folks that jug for catfish are not experinced rod and reel fisherman thus they take to jugging as a easy way to catch fish. Do i blame them no! I do try to educate them on our big fish populations to the best of my knowledge. There is also a regulation in the works on a 1 fish over 32" limit on lake norman. This may pass this year along with the new jug regulation in june or july of 2008. Thanks to the Carolina Catfish Club.

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Not trying to start an up roar, but I don't really don't think Elvis is putting juggers down, he say's he don't like it now that he's learned to catch them on rod and reel, that's the way I take it.

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Currently I have jugs drying from my neon orange paint. :smile2:

I do bank fishing, jug fishing (stationary adn free floating), drift fishing, catfishing, bass fishing, crappie fishing, etc. etc. etc.

I find all types fun as long as I am not at work dealing with stupid problems. Jug fishing is a good way to locate the fish in a lake or river. I often times will use my free floating jugs as such to locate and track their migration patterns in the large lake that I fish. If you have 18 jugs out and none of them are doing squat and you are using a variety of baits... obviously you could fish there all night and day with a rod and reel and not catch squat. I look at jug fishing as:

1) Locating fish
    2) catching fish for the freezer (my family and my consumption)
    3) another form of fishing
    4) an educational and active fishing to keep children's interests

Until it is illegal in IL and my bodies of water, I will continue to use it as a tool and an alternative style of fishing.

12. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i just like to catch fish,jug fishing is allowed at coffeen lake,i use rod and reels,BUT,belive it or not ive only went jug fishing 1 time,through out 9 jugs and danthafisherman and i cought our pb,67 pounds.now once we found that flat head with the jugs,that was the only time we jugged.we just use rod and reels now.BUT i will jug fish again.i just like to figure out different was to catch cats.like bwhupp said, its legal.its been legal for alot of years.a couple years ago i used to worry about population of cat fish.then i started realizing the body of water,now this is my way of thinking,it just seems like to me that there is so much water out there in a lake,it just seems impossible to fish it out no matter what legal tool you use for fishing.I could be wrong,help me out if i am brothers.

13. DAKATKILLA

DAKATKILLA Member

State:
    CHARLOTTE
    if i put people down iam sorry!!! that wasnt my attemptions i just wanted to let u know how i feel ..........thnk u for backin me up catfisherus:wink: lol

14. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    to each his own,use ya head in this situation...

15. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its crazy how fast some people are to throw one into the fire for the actions of many. the state says anyone with a license can take fish home to eat so how can ANYONE disagree with the opinion of highly paid biologists that say the population can sustain the harvest.now im not saying load the boat, just take what youre gonna eat and no more no matter what the method may be as long as its legal. just cuz some juggers are poor sportsman how can you judge someone you obviously dont know and have never been fishing with.

16. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ita legal in north carolina and in virginia and i enjoy juggin,puts meat in the freezer,and relaxing to watch the juggs move around,i never leave my juggs out i always get them back in...

17. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Jugging is ok if done resposibly and with some reguard to catfish as a valuable resource.With no limit on juggs its just out of hand. I have gathered up used Shell Rotella T gallon oil jugs that still had some amounts of oil still in them being used as jugs at Badin before. But what most in N.C. have seen is the hundreds of Jugs on friday night floating around then come saturday morning the juggers are gone and left over juggs or noodles bobbing around with fish on them and the owners are long gone. Then for the next couple of weeks their juggs are against the banks with dead fish or hung up and looking like garbage.Then I and others im sure gather up all the old ones that I come close to and carry them back to throw in a garbage can, Most the people that live on the lake think that all catfisherman throw juggs and leave them. So it really gives all catfisherman a bad name when not done right and here in are local lakes its not done right very often.(JMO)

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have no problem with you telling people how you feel, but to say that the BOC is a rod and reel only site isn't right and is going to get alot of people stirred up.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i did it once . its ok. good to get a few for the freezor. im gonna do it more this year. i want to have another big fish fry. rod and reel i usually catch over 100 yearly. im shooting for 200+ in 08. bubbie just got a brand new tracker and we can run them with two boats. i use a 1 quart gatorade jug and run a line through the cap tied to a washer to keep line from coming out of jug.

i cant wait to catch some fresh catfish. been a long winter. just remember with current start with a few jugs to see if you can control them. and dont use 1000,lol.

you would think this site is rod and reel only sometimes but it aint! i think elvis was being REALLY sarcastic. i seen the other places where he was talking about. ive been stirred up enough for a while,lol. im in ice water. at least till the end of febuary,lol.