Jug fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigredneck, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bigredneck

bigredneck New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello team!

We're interested in doing some jug fishing in Kerr/Buggs for catfish. What sort of rigging is best used on the juggs ? Hook type ? is it Circle Hooks ? What pound leader ?

Never done it before, Just looking at letting a couple jugs out in the cove over night...

Thanks,

Ed.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First thing is to read up on the regs for the waters you plan to fish. Are you planning to anchor them, or freefloat them?

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I've done it a few times, and it can be a blast. We just used 1/2 and gallon milk jugs, with circle hooks. I can't remember the line poundage, but obviously, you want to use line strong enough for what might be swimming where you are fishing.

Also if you plan on staying out, set up a couple of limb lines, nothing like coming up on the limb and seeing it twitching like mad.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    A couple suggestions, Do not leave your jug hooks unattended. If you do they will either be picked up or fish will pull them off not to be found, better known as wanton waste. In VA you are required to I.D. your jug hooks. And only run them during day light hours. And do not put out more than you can keep up with. Thanks!

5. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Quint, pick up your jugs man...tired of going behind you pick'n up your wanton:wink:

WillyZ

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Wiily glad to know your looking out for me!:eek:oooh: And by the way those aren't mine, as if you really didn't know!

7. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey I use 500lb trotline for main line and 250lb for droppers always use circle hooks and I use the green jugs that wife gets with laundry soap. I use 3 lb anchors , some let em drift, me i like to zero in on where they are and catch em. I use three way swivels and simle knots fresh shad and catch my share... Gives me a fall back if they aint biting while i drift. GOOD LUCK

8. taborbr56

taborbr56 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What month do you start jug fishing? And how deep do you fish the with the jugs?
    Thanks

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll start jugging the warm water outlet at the nuclear power plant in early March. The fish are there earlier than that, but I'm not crazy about getting out in the really cold weather. I'll start jugging the river as soon as it gets down to a relatively normal level and isn't up over the rock dikes. When the water is up over the dikes, it creates a fast current that attracts the jugs; they get hung up on the dikes, and have to be abandoned because it's too dangerous to try to retrieve them. How deep I make my juglines depends on how deep the water is. On the waters I normally jug, that means that my bottom hook is 12' below the surface; top hook is 3' below the surface; weight is about 12" below the bottom hook. When I jugged the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee, below Chattanooga, the water was so deep that I had my bottom hook about 50' below the surface.

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Willy how about that wanton we picked up yesterday! We triple teamed it, ha ha. Glad we had a good day, and can't wait to get back. I am still going through withdraws knowing we left biting fish!:sad2::wink:

11. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We have to do it again before my surgery. (which means this coming week or weekend) We had a great trip, no monsters but they will still be there. The pressure was steady, with rising water. I'd like to go as early as possible if you can get away with it. The fish are moving like we thought. How bout Tuesday/Wed and bring the good luck charm (your dad)

WillyZ

12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
  13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Bryan8552 that would be us! HA HA. And Willy next time I go with you on your boat I will be sure not to thank you as well! And I will do my best to get back after them cats this week. Me can't sleep for them darn dreams! My dad asked me if I was having dreams this morning at church so I am sure it's running in us all! My wife thinks Catfish and Crack or on the same level, heck Catfish are more addictive than Crack, is she crazy? And Crack is a heck of a lot cheaper!:crazy:

14. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We should be out there today...heck, we should have never left, we'd still be out there......................................THANKS FOR TAKIN ME!

WillyZ