JUG Fishing

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by FishinRich, Feb 18, 2007.

1. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Any help on hooks (20 to 50lbs blues). I think I have the line and weights figured out but still have't made up my mind on hooks. Circles seem the way to go but open to any help.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried kahle hooks on my jugs for a while, but they just didn't hold up. So, I went back to using 5/0 big-eye trotline hooks. I've caught blues up to 65# on those, and never had a fish bend one on a jug, although I have had a few that size straightened on trotlines.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard on blues that size you will need an 8/0 are larger. If you want the hook to do the work then use a circle hook. If you like to set the hook hard then use a kahle or j hook. I prefer the kahle 7/0-10/0 depending on the size of bait used. :0a18: :0a26:

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    That pretty much sums it up.

5. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    So This is the plan. I have homemade jugs, PVC 3"x12.5" capped and one eye bolt to adjust depth (through the eye and 1/2hitch). Line is 60# with Rosco barrel swivels and coast snaps. Hooks are going to be Demon Circle in a 7/0. Homemade wieghts are 4oz. Wish me luck and THANKS!!!!! FOR ALL THE INFO. :lol:

6. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are these anchored or free floating jugs? What I mean is is the weight supposed to be able to anchor the rig or is it just to keep the bait down? I use 2.5# weights on my jugs and they do not move.

7. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    They are anchord sort of. That is untill a big blue gits one. They hold well in the wind. but the big ones will pull it quite a ways. So you have to stay pretty close. We fish the deepest water in a two mile strecth. About 75 to 80 ft most of the time. The big blues almost always seem to head to the shallow cove. The reason of the lighter weights is because we use an electic drill along with a coffe can linned with thin carpet to reel up and check the bait. Watching and baiting forty jugs will keep you busy (with all the chasing part)!!:big_smile:

8. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    They are anchord sort of. That is untill a big blue gits one. They hold well in the wind. but the big ones will pull it quite a ways. So you have to stay pretty close. We fish the deepest water in a two mile strecth. About 75 to 80 ft most of the time. The big blues almost always seem to head to the shallow cove. The reason of the lighter weights is because we use an electic drill along with a coffe can linned with thin carpet to reel up and check the bait. Watching and baiting forty jugs will keep you busy (with all the chasing part)!!:big_smile:

9. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Still open for any help. Do you think this will work?:lol:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't think on a jug you can set the hook. It is kinda up to the fish, isn't it. If it hits the jug like a run-a-way freight train, then "J" hooks or khale hooks would be in order. If it takes it nice and slow, would it even "load up" a noodle float? I imagine it would pull a circle hook into the corner of the fishes mouth, but would it put the hook in past the barb? It just comes down to our own individual preference as to what type of hooks do we use. It you put your jug out with circle hooks, and the jug is lost, you lost more of an investment than if you were to just use the other hooks. You have to look at all sides to make a decision. I kinda trust an old jug fisherman who goes by jtrew... he uses "J" hooks because his experience has shown the circles don't load up on a jug the way the do on a pole... what is experience worth?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It isn't unusual for a cat to be very lightly hooked when jugfishing. Many times, I've put a few ounces of pull on a good sized fish, only to feel the 'tunk' of the hook pulling loose. For that reason, I never 'fight' a fish in when jugfishing; I 'finesse' them in...at least as much as possible. When I grab the jug, I hold it by the base, using only my fingertips, so a sudden run will simply pop the jug out of my hand. Likewise, when holding the line, I'm always ready to let it go if the fish makes a sudden hard run. The idea is to try to ease the fish up to the top where it can be netted; let it fight in the bottom of the boat.