Jug fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisherman94580, Feb 15, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been reading up on jug fishing, and it sounds pretty fun, and I'm thinking about trying it. Problem is, I don't have a boat. Can you jug fish from shore?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure, you can use the same techniques from shore, but you will need to tie one end of a line to a feature on the bank. If the water can be waded, you can wade out, set the jug, wade back to the bank and tie it off. I would recommend you not use more than one hook on the line though, as if a big fish got on, it could snag you. Think it is the same as fishing with a set line. In a river, you could throw the jug in the current and tie it off. I see where it could be done, but you'd probably be a lot better served just to use a throw line.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you can wade the water, like has been said, you can set the jugs in place. In flat or slow moving water, you may want to try at least one pound weights to hold the jugs in one spot as you won't be able to chase them. I fish from a kayak. Some of my jugs float, but I also set some in place with weights so I don't have to chase them all over the big part of a lake. I do the same in a channel or a stream.

4. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wading in the water to set the jug is one thing but jumping in when you have a big catfish on would be quite another thing. I don't know if I would take a net or a baseball bat or both. I would love to see that video. The best idea I could come up with would be attaching some type of rope to your jug and heaving it out into the water. Then you could just pull it in when you need to. Have you considered limb lines?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wading out into the water to set your jugs seems pretty impractical, but I guess it's possible, if you use a weight heavy enough that a cat absolutely can't move it. And if you're throwing a set line out from shore, that's a 'throwline', whether you use a jug for a float or not.
    One thing I've thought about is using planerboards, either from an anchored boat or from shore, where there's a current to make them work. They would allow more lines to be put out from a boat, and from shore, you should be able to get a bait way out there without killing it or throwing it off the hook.