Jug fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by STC T&F, Nov 10, 2005.

1. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    any jug fisherman here? I started this summer and I am addicted. Was wondering if anybody had experience jug fishing through the winter? I am on the Lower Missouri River (Hermann, New Haven, Washington, MO) and can boat to a power plant hot water discharge are. Would this be good fishing in the cold winter months?

MJO

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    STC, The hot water outlet will be a great place to jug fish. I saw a B.O.C. brother and his daughter catch an 18 pound blue at our hot water outlet last winter. The colder it gets the better the fishing can be. jtrew is the man to ask about jug fishing.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jug fishing is GREAT fun. Yes, durring the cold months jugs can still be productive. In a river place them above a deep hole so that they can drift through it. Also, place your jugs out above warm water outlets, and let them drift through.

4. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    I would assume that you need to set the line pretty deep when you go across the deeper holes. During the summer we were about 18" below the water.

MJO

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I would set them about 2-5 foot above the bottom, with another hook about 8-10 ft above that

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    MJO, I've done some cold weather jugging at the outlet of the nuclear power plant, where the water is noticeably warmer than elsewhere, but I haven't really tried jugging the river during the winter. But, I plan to this winter, because it's almost exactly 100 miles from my house to the nookie plant, vs 10 miles to the river here at Little Rock. Time and gas prices make closer trips more attractive. Incidentally, check to see if skipjack run during the winter in that warm water outlet. They are really prime catfish bait, and they freeze well, so you can stock up for the summer. For what it's worth, I like to put my bottom hook as close to the bottom as possible without hanging up too much, my top hook 6' below the surface, and hooks every 3' between. That lets me cover as much of the water column as possible. Sometimes I catch most of my fish on the top hook, sometimes most on the bottom hook, and sometimes they seem to hit all of the hooks equally well.

7. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    JT, do you use any weight on the jug or is it free floating.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I do have some anchored jugs, because they are considered to be trotlines here in Arkansas, and you don't have to stay with them during daylight hours like you do freefloating jugs. But I seem to do much better with the freefloating jugs, so they're generally the way I go. Both types of jugs are made with 2-liter soda jugs, and I have a weight on both types. I use a 2# weight for the anchored jugs, and a 16p nail for the freefloating jugs. The nail is cheap, biodegradable, and hangs up less than a regular sinker. On the freefloating jugs, I want just enough weight to get the jugline down.
    I put about 4 ounces of weights (sinkers, scrap lead, tire weights, gravel) inside each jug, so that when I get a bite that stands the jug on end, all the weights slide down into the neck of the jug and keep it in a 'flagged' position.

9. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Jerry, Thanks a bunch. I have never done the free floating jugs. I would like to try them. I am getting my courage up to try the Arkansas river with jugs and rod and reel. I would like to talk to to you in great depth about jugging sometime. Stay safe and good luck.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There are a lot of folks on the Arkansas that lose their freefloating jugs... even the ones that have bricks tied to the bottom seem to find their way downstream

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cutshad, I'd be more than happy to talk to you about jugging, or any other kind of fishing. I'm going to be out of pocket till after next weekend, though. Be sure to contact me then. If we have another gathering at Dardanelle next spring or summer, maybe you can make it over.